Fur-licious or Faux-lacious

frugalfurguy

I have a lot of peers where I work. At my level we don't make much money. That means that much of what I see at work is faux, even the trims. Every once in a while I'll spot a new parka with trim on the hood. I'll be sure it's real tanuki. But just two or three months'll pass and that same jacket's trim'll be a tousled, pathetic, mangy remnant.

So I'm asking myself if I've been fooled all those times. Is my furdar so broken I can't spot a fake? On the other hand, I thought tanuki was supposed to be a fairly durable fur, possibly more so than fox. And when I think of the wear the fox collar I have has gotten and the condition it's in I wonder how real tanuki could get so mangy in so few months.

On the other hand, I remember a couple of hoods that I'm sure were trimmed with real fur. One was black or black-dyed fox, the other coyote. I saw them both over a span of several months, and neither ended up beat up like what I took for tanuki.

Has anyone had similar experiences? Am I wrong about the durability of tanuki?

frugalfurguy

Just my $0.02 but having owned a tanuki and owned several foxes, the fox are more durable. I'll define 'durable' as having had more years of wear from my foxes than tanuki. Could there be other reasons for that?For example, well cared for pre-owned fox coats vs. a somewhat dried tanuki? Perhaps...

FLinFL

i know that this is off topic for the original question but there is so much misunderstanding out there as to the durability of fox. It is becoming less though. Over the years I have had furriers and employees tell me that a fox coat on a man would probably fall apart the first time that I tried to wear it. It would last only a few times, etc. Also, that it would probably last a few years and would be ok for me if I was not looking for a coat that would last 20 years.

However, FL, you and I both know how durable fox really is. Yes, it is long haired. Thus, it will wear. But it is indeed very durable!

W

Good point, White. IMO the 'misconception' that fox 'isn't durable' or 'will fall apart when first worn by a guy' comes from the fact the fox does shed. There's nothing wrong with that - I think all fox sheds to one degree or another (as does all fur), but perhaps it's just a bit more pronounced.

FLinFL

frugalfurguy;

Look to the ends of the fur strands.

Most faux fur is made by the "Double Plush" method. Two layers of the fabric backing are made and sandwiched together. Then the "fur" is woven back and forth between the two layers. Finally, a blade is used to separate the two layers. Then they are sent for shearing and finishing.

The ends of the strands in faux fur are sheared off. Where real fur's strands taper at the end.

Another difference between fur and faux is that fur has a more random distribution of strands than faux. Reason being is that faux fur strands are laid down in a more-or-less "Cartesian" arrangement owing to the "rows and columns" nature of their backing fabric's weave.

There are forms of plush that can have tapered strands but they don't often have the density of real fur like fox.

One other difference is color variation. Real fur often has a more gradual variation in color from one area to the next while faux often has darker/lighter strands interspersed with the background color.

Here! A few of my Bears have kindly volunteered for a demonstration of Faux vs. Real fur:

http://s107.photobucket.com/albums/m294/Cirrus01/Fur%20Types/

I agree with you about faux fur not standing up to use as well. There are a few Bears who get snuggled with more often than other. Very expensive Bears prefer to sit up on the shelf where their fur won't get mussed up but there are some who like to come down and snuggle on the sofa at TV time every night. Out of the subset of Bears who like to play and snuggle, the ones with real fur tend to look nicer after longer periods of being handled.

This even applies to the plush Bears who are made from natural fibers like mohair and wool as opposed to the Bears who are made from synthetics. Furthermore, higher quality synthetics like the plush made by Reinhardt Schulte (The supplier for Steiff Bears.) tends to "stand up" better after use.

Should they get messed up, real fur or natural plushes... believe it or not... are easier to clean if the dirt is minor. Synthetics, although they can be surface washed, just look like they have been cleaned unless you surface wash the WHOLE bear.

Believe me! Most Bears get grumpy when they have to take a bath!

At least to my eye it is easier to spot fake from a distance.

It's the uniformity, sheen and ripple of the garment body that's the giveaway.

OFF

Over the years I have had furriers and employees tell me that a fox coat on a man would probably fall apart the first time that I tried to wear it. It would last only a few times, etc. Also, that it would probably last a few years and would be ok for me if I was not looking for a coat that would last 20 years.
WF,

I believe what furriers are referring to is that the leather of fox pelts is thinner and more easily ripped than most other types of fur. Also because the leather is thinner, the pelts will dry out and become brittle in a shorter number of years than most other types of pelts. Yes the fox fur (hair) is reasonably durable, but the thinness of the leather will, on average, lead to a shorter lifespan of the garment.