"Free Mink Coat"

JGalanos

>> Click for link! <<

She said that if I took a cab home with her she would give me her old fur coat. Being a native New Yorker, I was a little bit skeptical as I waited in the lobby of her building, but in a few minutes she returned and handed me a shopping bag containing a full-length mink coat in perfect condition.

Oh to be so lucky.

(P.S. Assuming this link will work also.)

DEAR DIARY:

Several years ago, before Loehmanns opened a store in Manhattan, I went to its annual coat sale.

I had completed my shopping and was walking past the fur coats on my way out when a woman stopped me to ask my opinion about the mink coat she was trying on. I admired it, and she told me that she was a recently retired teacher, married for a second time, and that she and her husband had separate checking accounts.

She said that she already had a mink coat but that she liked this one better, and since it was so similar to the one she had at home her husband would never know that she had bought a new one.

Her only problem was getting the old coat out of the house and the new one in without his knowing. She said that if I took a cab home with her she would give me her old fur coat. Being a native New Yorker, I was a little bit skeptical as I waited in the lobby of her building, but in a few minutes she returned and handed me a shopping bag containing a full-length mink coat in perfect condition. N. J. Rappaport

Edit: Worker 11811 - Shortened link to prevent horizontal page scrolling. Added quote from page.

I'm interested in the role of the cab there. I don't know the gender of the diarist here; my guess would have been male. It would seem unusual in the area I live in that someone would invite a stranger they met shopping to drive home in their own private car. But the cab makes it sound at least plausible--the driver making it a semi-public place and ensuring that neither party's alone with a stranger.

Goes to show car ownership isn't required for furry adventure.

I love New Yorkers.

In my experience, suburbanites (like my parents, ha!) wouldn't dare break down their artificial boundaries for a "stranger", especially someone with such an offer...! I'm beginning to realize that lately, more and more people are becoming less trusting; when called on it, a few friends of mine who moved from one suburb to another actually acknowledged it. They blamed it on the 'threat of terrorism' and 'you never can be too careful'. Never once have I heard a native Manhattanite utter that phrase.

J.