Halloween... when?

mailonfurs

hello all

when is the halloween there in the US?

I think it is ot a good period for fur sales as people have other fun things in mind.

Last day of the month.

One thing. If you are in Sault St Marie, and ask the question "When do you get the first snow" the answer will come "Oh around Halloween". In my area the same. In Kentudky the same. etc. I don't know why but everyone seems to think that way. So, maybe that means that people would think of it as a good time to buy furs. No idea on that one.

J

Bob, my husband, is still in Michigan about 1.5 hours from the area White Fox mentions.

I snowed yesterday. Didn't stick, but there still was snow flying.

Linda

I think in much of the US Halloween is roughly the time of the first "killing frost" (I usually mow my yard for the last time the last week in October) ... I think around Halloween people start thinking seriously about their winter wardrobes (and Christmas!) and so is probably a good time to begin advertising fur garments and accessories.

Yeah! Mow the lawn so you can rake up the darned LEAVES easier!

Halloween was a pagan holiday celebrated to appease the evil spirits that were believed to inhabit the earth on that day. In the 8th Century, Pope Gregory co-opted the pagan holiday to Christianity by declaring November 1 to be "All Saints Day", the day when we honor the memory of loved ones who have passed away in the previous year.

In fact, according to Spanish/Mexican tradition, Halloween is celebrated as a night of spiritual cleansing before "El Dia de Todos los Santos" and "El Dia de los Muertos" ("The Day of All Saints" & "The Day of the Souls") During this holiday, family members go to the cemetery to clean and decorate the graves of their departed family members.

As macabre as this sounds, it's actually quite a festive holiday. People decorate with flowers and wreaths and they play music and dance in remembrance of their ancestors and in the hope that they pass into Heaven.

Or... In the modern tradition, Halloween is an excuse to party!

In fact, in the USA, Halloween is quickly becoming a more popular party night than Saint Patrick's Day and New Year's Day!

I think I would have to agree. I stopped by an upscale mall on the way to the theatre last night and I saw lots of folks in incredible costumes (I'm assuming stopping by for a bite to eat at Maggiano's and PF Chang's on their way to a party).