When a fur lover lives where there are no furs

ReFur

Gosh, this is really tough!! I feel like it is July ...and it is almost November!!

I look at my avatar and I miss my furs sooo much!!! It must be like this for those of you who seldom see furs. It is like being on the outside looking in.

Linda

Hi Linda

Well.... You can always come and visit Iceland, here fur is always in style and our glaciers provide perfect fur wearing conditions year round even during the height of summer !

There are several world class furriers in Reykjavik,* which is the capital of Iceland and the northern most capital city in the world. The Reykjavik Capital Area has just about 200,000 inhabitants, about 60% of the country's total population of 300,000.

If you like you can socialize in the city or explore the rest of the island at your leisure .

It is really fur weather today ! check out today's weather

http://andvari.vedur.is/english/vedurisland_ensk.html?

(*Eggert the Furrier shop, owned by the renowned furrier Eggert J

Welcome to the Florida fur club! I walk a couple of miles every morning before sunrise and can't tell you how good it feels when the temperature drops to the low 70s F and there's no humidity. I know that fur weather is around the corner! Of course, if I was still living in New Jersey, I'm sure that my furs would have been home for the better part of a month now!

FLinFL

Linda...

I spent two nights in the Everglades not long ago in a tent with most of my clothing still on plus one sleeping bag, plus fur on the top. And I was just right. It was something like 27 degrees that night as I recall. It does happen. But not often.

W

I've always (since grade school) wanted to visit Iceland.

I think I live int eh next best if not an equally fine location.

Folks email me and ask me to take a vacation to wherever it is they live.

I write back and tell tehm to come here and we can both have a vacation

OFF

There are so many beautiful places. I wish, honestly I was close to Summit County in Colorado (Rocky Mountains near Denver)

FABULOUS skiing!! Can't get Bob to leave the water, though.

Was in those places a couple of weeks (Boulder/Breckenridge/Denver) ago, it was absolutely beautiful! Too bad that I once again managed to get out there when they were in a 'warm spell'. No furs at all... other than a cheap looking fake leopard coat...

FLinFL

Linda...

There is one place that might solve your problem. It has a mountain for skiing, and places to sail.

If you want, I can tell you about it. It is in the Upper Michigan area not far off of the I-75.

W

Funny, John!!

You know how to rub it in don't you.

Only problem with that location is you have to be independently wealthy to live there. Not the case for me.

I've been thinking about this all day.

There HAS to be at least a few people there who have furs but don't wear them. It's all just a matter of finding them. Probably won't be easy, though.

I can imagine there'd be a lot of negative social pressure against wearing fur. No, not against fur. Against WEARING fur in a warm climate.

If one could find a circle of friends who have furs but don't wear them you could all form a sort of "mutual aid and defense pact." A fur club, if you will.

If people knew there was safety in numbers, I bet there'd be more people willing to wear fur.

The trick is finding the like minded people.

I think I mentioned this in another thread a long, long time ago...

People down here in Florida DO wear furs. Now I grant you that you won't see very many huge, ankle-length fox or lynx coats. However, you do see plenty of capelets, shrugs, boas, trims, etc particularly between January and March, when the charity-gala scene starts. Fur trims are pretty common amongst everyday-wear (fur example - jean jackets trimmed/lined with fur).

About a year ago, there was an article in the local newspaper talking about furs, and with no furriers in my little part of FL, they interviewed people working at high-end consignment stores. Apparently, furs were selling as fast as people could bring them in.

FLinFL

Edited by Guest

I have been surrounded by fur for five years, Guess I am just going through withdrawal.

Plus wear fur indoors is just not the same for me, atleast not yet. Maybe over time I can get use to the idea.

Linda

The only "indoor fur activities" I routinely engage in (other than glancing at myself in the mirror wearing head to toe fur when entering and exiting the house ) is snuggling under my faux fur throws. Fur to me is ultimately a luxurious way to keep warm in inclement weather. I wore my ranch mink jacket to the theatre last night in windy 40 degree weather ... I was comfortably (and fashionably) warm -- But if it had been ~5 degrees warmer (and/or less windy) fur may have been too warm.

I'm so used to the "Florida excuse" for selling a fur. All you need is a Florida location and you don't need to say anything about the REAL reason for selling a fur. I get so tired of it browsing eBay.

frugalfurguy

I know that West Palm has a number of fur salons in some of the high end department stores (Neimans, Saks, etc.) Perhaps it's worth a visit, just to drop in and talk shop! You might meet some new friends, or get a part time job!

Woo-hoo! More furs for me!

FLinFL

Yeah and you're strategically located for that one, FLinFL. Take heart, Linda. Maybe after all you can become Florida's chiefmost power fur seller.

At the same time, I don't see anything but trims in an average winter. I take what I can get, but I certainly don't live in a climate likely to yield frequent sigthings of the kind of full length I love.

frugalfurguy