Anyonoe wearing fur yet?

White Fox

Would love to know when someone sites somebody wearing fur out there. Just let us know the kind of fur, and if it is a jacket, a coat, etc.

Hope to hear some great stories.

W

I have one fur coat that I have been wearing outside on cooler days for some weeks now here in northern England.

This is a light weight mid-brown mink, longer than a jacket, perhaps a little shorter than the average 3/4 fur coat.

When I bought this fur in Alaska more than ten years ago it was labelled as a "mink blazer", which I think describes it pretty well.

Summer temperatures are lower here than in north America, particularly so this year, and I have found it suitable to wear on cooler days at almost any time of year.

I plan to pick up my coats (stored out of town) next weekend. Until then you can just call me fauxfurcoatman. October weather has been all over the board, but I have been out and about in my faux ranch mink coat several times this month. It kept me snuggly warm last night (it was a blustery ~40 degrees) ... But I look forward to replacing it with the real thing soon.

Linda, I am like you here...

This is the first day in a long time that I have not been wearing shorts outside. I actually did put on a spring jacket tonight!

And you are walking around in the palm trees!

W

Pol...

Here are my suggestions. I only give them since you asked...

#1 If you like a short haired fur, think of that. My first one was sheared beaver. You might think of mink, etc. I only suggest that as you may find it a little easier to wear fur the first few times if your coat is a little less "Spectacular". But if you really wish a fox for instance, go ahead with something like crystal. Above all find the coat that looks good on you. If fox looks good on you but beaver does not then buy fox.

#2. Buy it in Winter. Do not "Pick it up!" Wear it home instead. Do not even bring a jacket with you when you first get it so you cannot make an excuse not to wear it. In fact one of the joys of my life is going to pick up my furs each fall and I never pick them up until I can wear one on the way home with me.

#3. Pick the very first cold weather and if possible go on a vacation right after. Even if it is only on a weekend. Take only your new fur coat with you so you must wear it everywhere. With no relatives or friends looking at you, you can enjoy wearing it and become used to it. If you cannot get time to go away, just wear it to some local museums, etc. on weekend visits.

#4. One thing you will notice is people sometimes staring at you. Do not let that bother you. People love the look of fur and stare in admiration. You will soon get used to this when you realize what is happening. Almost never will the stares be anything negative at all!

Have fun. You are about to have one of the greatest and best experiences of your life time!

W

Pol;

What WF said.

I wore my first one home because of Customs at the Canadian border.

I had it fixed in Vancouver and wore it home to get through Customs. It worked but it certainly emboldened me to wear my fur with authority and [apparent] ease.

Mine are all fur lined for initial reasons of shyness but for comfort as well.

Now that I wouldn't hesitate to wear fur on the outside I'm reluctant for comfort reasons. I'm now planning my first fur out coat. Probably a full pelt natural Beaver. Ungar Furs has done several I've fallen in love with.

I have a gray sheared Beaver/Pigskin jacket that is reversible but every time I go to wear it fur out I end up with it fur in. It feels so luscious.

OFF

You could never have better advice on "coming out" in fur than in the detailed suggestions from White Fox - a worthy contribution from our administrator !

Even those of us who having been wearing furs in public for a long time had to start somewhere, and I too followed White fox's strategy of going out in a fur coat and getting well away from home with no possibility of retreat.

It was a wonderful feeling, quite addictive, and after that there could be never be any going back.

I only hope that more Ferdenizens will join us !

I've been wearing mine, inside, all summer.

But I just came back from Vegas, the city of sin and saw a few fur coats over there. Of course, I'm from Quebec, and I'm used to cold weather. But in Vegas it wasn't that cold but I can understand people from that area being cold at night. It is a big change at noon and at midnight.

Shelley and I had to go to Montana for my Dad's funeral and deal with the transfer of the family ranch. We took a couple of coats and thankfully we did..........It was snowing in Bozeman the morning of the second day on the road. When we got to the town where my Dad lived and took a trip out to the ranch the temp was 40 degrees and the wind was blowing 50 MPH. The old Racoon coat sure did help. So the furs we saw being worn were the ones we were wearing.

Kevin and Shelley

We would like to thank all of you for the kind words and thinking of us in this time of loss. We appreciate the thoughts. We will get through it and the healing will take place. Again, thanks everyone.

Kevin and Shelley

Please accept my condolences as well.

It will still be a couple of weeks before my furs make it home from the furrier. I typically pick mine up during the last week of October or first week of November.

FLinFL

Some of our furs were picked up last week, and the rest are being delivered this week. The temperature has dropped down to 40 degrees at night, so the best we can manage so far is wearing them on walks at night.

I had my furs on during nights a couple of weeks ago when i was watching my parents house when they were traveling. There are no neighbours close to the house, so i walked around with a bluefox coat turned inside out and then another bluefox over that. Always feels great to feel the warmth from the furs when it

The weather here has been playing with the idea of getting cold. It's dipped down below 50 several times. With the change in temperature, I've noticed a few jackets and bolero style jackets here and there. Because of the interest I have, we have, fur always catches my eye. This has gotten me in trouble on a few occasions past, until the person I'm with understands why..

I picked up my coats yesterday. It was a tad warm last night (mid 40's and windy) but I couldn't resist wearing my Finn Raccoon coat when I went for an evening stroll (six months is a long time to wait!). It's supposed to be significantly colder next week ... I'm planning to wear either my mink jacket or my mink coat to the theatre next weekend depending upon the temperature. I can't wait.

Today here it was 28 degrees C. Tonight even at midnight it is 19. That is shorts weather even at night. I gotta move to the US to get some cool weather!