Article With Fur Care Advice

JGalanos

I love being enveloped in fur while driving on cold winter days.

Speaking of fur care and driving ... Winter does turn this normally law-abiding citizen into Joe Misdemeanor. You (or at least I) can't really drive in fur and use a seat belt as it will abrade the guard hairs. So I only wear furs in a vehicle when road conditions are good. And I'm extra careful and tell myself the vast majority of accidents happen within a few miles of home. So if you see a dude in what apears to be a voluminous fur coat driving down Michigan Avenue or State Street in Chicago, don't worry ... We be fine.

Thanks for the posts--I think that all of us should hit those articles and post in the comments section. It's anonymous, and I really think we need to stack the comments in our favor. Please take a second and post something positive about fur.

It's cool to just read about fur, too...makes me want to head down to the furrier with my wife and try on some new coats!

And JG...not a lecture...but please, please, wear your safety belt! Think how horrible it would be to be paralyzed and to not enjoy the soft feel of all your coats!!!

Alright then, how about a compromise: get a mink cover for your safety belt! (Hmmm...I like that idea...I've seen sheepskin versions, but never fur...)

Alright then, how about a compromise: get a mink cover for your safety belt! (Hmmm...I like that idea...I've seen sheepskin versions, but never fur...)
Interesting idea, but might not be practical. Sheepskin is abrasion resistant, mink is not.

As was stated in the article, sitting on your fur should be avoided as much as possible. Crushing is usually not the problem, but friction breaking the hairs can lead to an unsightly large bare spot. About 2 years ago I saw a ladies f/l coat that was in for cleaning that had a large almost hairless spot where she had been sitting on the coat.