What the heck is going on in the UK?

mailonfurs

We decided to place an ad of our firm to fashion magazines in the UK , such as Cosmopolitan, Vogue etc. Guess what... they refused because they did not want to get in trouble with PETA and other anti-furists...

What the heck is going on there at the UK???

Anywayz, we still are interested in placing the ad in Germany or the US. Do you know any good fashion magazines/portal that we should advertise in??? Some with great visibility that would hopefully offer good revenue...

Hi Kostas,

this shouldn't come as a surprise. As you may recall, we've had countless discussions regarding how far the peta-zelots have gone in the UK, having done their best to turn England into a virtual fur-free society.

I don't think you'll have any issues at all placing your ads in any other country-specific issues of those magazines.

FLinFL

Kostas,

I am not sure you were reading some of the forums that have discussed the foot-hold PETA has gotten on UK. I also had countless problems on eBay from UK site.

Linda

Kostas,

I am not sure you were reading some of the forums that have discussed the foot-hold PETA has gotten on UK. I also had countless problems on eBay from UK site.

Linda

I don't recll these conversations. However I do recall both of us having troubles with Ebay UK and cancelling listings. I still cannot list chinchillas there. I also remember you did place some kind of disclamer.

Absolute ass's! This country is crammed with idiot sheep who seem to just cling on to the "PC bandwagon" without any rational thought.

I wear what is most obviously a real fox fur trooper hat out in the winter still though most of the time, which does seem to make heads turn. I couldn't give a crap for any PeTA scum approaching me about it to be honest, they are just a bunch of cowards. People in this country worry too much about PeTA and their brigade of inter-breed hippies, at the end of the day if anything *did* happen the law would be in your favour.

foxkid is absolutely correct.

An individual PeTA member is a babbling fool when confronted.

Only in a group do they have a real voice and that's just a bunch of screaming and sign waving.

OFF

Remember this is easy for us to say, when we don't have to deal with this mentality. I feel for our UK members. Even in the US I have to consider when and where I wear furs. I have always been treated positively. In the UK not sure that would happen.

As I understand it, the UK vogue has an editor who is anti-fur, hence the stance here. However, if Anna Wintour wanted to move into the spot.....!

Auzmink

Hello Kostas,

I was absolutely amazed to hear of your experiences with UK Vogue.

I suggest, however, that you make another try with the very upmarket Conde Nast publication The Tatler, which is also published in the UK. I have good reason to believe that this magazine is currently considerably more fur-friendly than UK Vogue, as The Tatler has been running a number of lavish fur editorials over the last few years.

Best of luck!

Fur lovers who live in the United Kingdom should wear fur out in public. There is a false perception that if you wear fur out in public in the UK, you will be accosted by a PETA member or someone who is very strongly for animal rights. I don't think anything would happen if you wore fur out in public in Britain. Heck, the Queen of England does it! Follow Elizabeth II's lead! I've seen her in suits with fox cuffs and ermine capes.

Tricia

I just have to add to this thread as I have done to similar ones before.

I have been wearing fur coats in public in the UK (admittedly not the furs shown in my avatar) for 20 years and more, not just in the north of England where I live, but when attending meetings in London and elsewhere, and the only comments that I have ever received have been ones of friendly interest.

PS. I am just going to send a PM to Mailonfurs with a couple of inquiries so, Kostas, in the light of another of your recent postings, if for any reason you do not get it, please do get back to me.

I will back up lovingfurs here, while I don't wear full on fur coats, I often wear leather lackets lined in fur, and a few russian trooper hats that are made with lynx or fox. I've never had any issues with any PeTA twats in the last year or so.

I do get a lot of looks though wearing my furry hat! To be honest, I think a lot of people don't know how to react. I do get the occasional laugh as even I will admit it does look a little OTT in terms of thickness / fluffiness. However I've found girls seem kinda like the novelty factor of it, and a number give a joking, but generally positive reaction when I've been cycling with it (i.e. giggle and say "can I have your hat", or wave with a smile if they are in a car).

The thing is the PeTA twats are total cowards. They are like scummy hyenas. They need to plan ahead and work in groups to have the courage to taunt people. Not enough people wear fur these day around for even that feeble tactic that to be effective / work now.

I recently watched episode 7 of season one of the BBC drama "Hotel Babylon," featuring guest star Joan Collins. You would never guess that fur was on the wane in London based upon the glamorous fox and mink garments worn by Joan and friends during the episode.

http://www.bbcprograms.com/pbs/catalog/coupling/images/0105coup.jpg

I saw several nights ago an episode of the BBC sitcom Coupling which had a scene where several of the principals were standing in a living room. There were several pillows on a sofa and a wooden cabinet devoted to the storage of even more pillows. The actress pictured above was holding a dyed red Mongolian lamb fur pillow and she was stroking it several times.

The US TV version of Coupling had one very good-looking actor in the cast.

Jay Harrington

http://images.usatoday.com/money/media/_photos/2003-08-13-edgy-coupling.jpg

http://www.celebopedia.com/harrington/images/jay_harrington.jpg

Tricia

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I are living in London and we also have not had any problems with wearing furs even full length Silverfox. It is usually the media but less the genreal public.

My wife has worn her lovely silver fox stroller and her mink when we go out in Manchester.

No problems at all.

Hopefuly now that the weather has turned colder, the furs will be back out again.

Yummy!!!!