Styles you don't like

White Fox

We have a thread about furs we don't like, what about styles. It always seems to me that some of the new styles have a whole lot to be desired. I guess that these magazine and fashion show styles are almost made to be not even ever be worn. Which is difficult in itself to be understood. Why would someone not design things for fashion shows that people would see and like to wear and thus buy, rather than something that they would not be caught dead in.

But, why again do they sometimes put these ugly styles in the magazines too?

Beats me!

Agreed. I am so unimpressed by recent fashion pics. Plus the ongoing trend to make tubes instead of dresses is a turnoff as well.

Not so sure about 1/2 fabric, 1/2 fur coats, such as the ones with a fur 'skirt' approach, but different. Long coats have always been a favourite, but am thinking my partner needs a short 'anytime' jacket/article which can be worn anytime / anywhere, so style very much comes into practicality......we all have our massive favourite 'overkill' furs, but subtle touches are good...

Auzmink

I hate all these dyed furs that are all sorts of nasty bright fake colours. It totally ruins the rich depth and range of tones that many natural furs have. Some dyed fur does look OK. I do have a hooded mens mink coat somewhere (albeit a one size too big for me) that was dyed a really dark blue and has blackish guard hairs. The coat as a stripe of black mink running down the middle of the hood and part way down the arms. It's probably one of the few dyed furs I like that is not a natural colour.

I always think it's good to have a mix fashion wise. I do like seeing big thick soft furs like foxes and lynx, but at the same time, they aren't practical like auzmink said for everyday use, so it's good to have a mix. from that point of view I do like the ability to put my my full length fox over me in bed, but at the same time I have a few fur lined mens coats which are both masculine and practical enough to wear out in the winter.

While a lot of new mens furs don't have the wow factor or quality that many high end ladies coats have, it's good to see there is an increasing number of mens wear fur items starting to surface which I think is great, even if I they aren't exactly to my taste.

I don't know if this fits in with styles. Maybe it's more aptly under the heading of design features. For the most part I don't like zippers on furs. Without a zipper, closures of a fur garment make such a delightfully textured placket. Nor do I like furs that have a swath of seude between the placket and liner. Maybe it does something to influence the drape of the fur or maybe it's more durable than the edges of lining fabrics when they're stitched directly to fur plackets. Otherwise I'm at a loss as to why they're there.

Generally I'm puzzled by the looks of most contemporary-styled furs. I don't think they improve on the appearance of traditional styles. So to me they seem to waste fur and money. But some folks must like them, and they must have more money than me, so that must mean they're smarter than me, right???

frugalfurguy

Zippers and patch or pieced furs.

Most of my jackets are zippered and I wouldn't have them any other way.

Aside from being very functional they are quite warm and they have a very casual quality which I like a lot.

It also makes for a fur that doesn't always bring attention to itself if you don't want it to.

Pieced furs can be very fine. I have a pieced Crystal Fox that is incredible and is destined for a lining of a dark blue suede jacket.

Also I have a pieced sheared Mink that is going into a really nice lambskin jacket. It's very light, thin and not real warm so it will work well on the not so cold days.

My pieced flank Norwegian Blue Fox spread ain't too bad either.

I have felt some Fisher and it's short a bit from the glories of Sable. I was very excited at Ungar's a few weekends ago when I saw what looked at first to be Fisher. It was the most incredible full Beaver I've ever seen or felt. This will probably be my Fisher want-a-be and firs fur out coat. No zipper. Hooded and MAYBE sheared Nutria lined.

Sheared furs are all about super tailored look and the FEEL!!!! Nothing is quite as fine or soft as sheared Alaska Fur Seal, River Otter or Sheared Beaver and Nutria as a runner up. Ironically sheared Mink is not quite as fine as any of the others in their silkiness. Sheared Beaver has a thick softness unlike the others I like a lot.

Sheared Alaska Fur Seal and Beaver are both incredibly warm .. the warmest of all furs as a lining in particular. This I know from experience. When it's really cold those are the ones I wear. Maybe when I get my Lynx lined coat I'll change my mind

OFF

We have a thread about furs we don't like, what about styles. It always seems to me that some of the new styles have a whole lot to be desired. I guess that these magazine and fashion show styles are almost made to be not even ever be worn. Which is difficult in itself to be understood. Why would someone not design things for fashion shows that people would see and like to wear and thus buy, rather than something that they would not be caught dead in.

But, why again do they sometimes put these ugly styles in the magazines too?

Beats me!

One of the biggest reason that Haute-couture pieces exist is to sell perfume! Now, down to some of the non-runway style furs: a lot of these styles are made by aging furriers who are desperately trying to make relevant pieces. They don't know what is truly in fashion--they just try in vain to make 1) ultra-classic pieces or 2) ultra avant-garde pieces. They don't realize that what they are making is actually quite ugly--they've just lost touch.

Most of my pet peeves have been touched upon... bright colors... patchwork-styled furs... how 'bout the pelts being worked horizontally as opposed to vertically? I've always found the horizontal look to be very old-fashioned... as in a sort of bad-1960s way.

FLinFL

The old saw in design is "What was will be back".

I personally like the horizontal pelts. Not on everything but occasionally it can look real nice.

Liz Taylor in Butterfield 8 for instance. It hink that coat would be great today.

OFF

Most of my pet peeves have been touched upon... bright colors... patchwork-styled furs... how 'bout the pelts being worked horizontally as opposed to vertically? I've always found the horizontal look to be very old-fashioned... as in a sort of bad-1960s way.

FLinFL

I actually don't like the vertical pelt blue fox jacket. It looks cheap somehow.

The vertical blue fox in thin strips with leather inserts was done to 'lighten' the coat I understand, to try and 'de-bulk' it. I must admit to prefering the full-pelt coats as looking and feeling more sophisticated. As to vertical pelts, well yes 70's but I am actually thinking they are not too bad now.....

Ho hum what goes around comes around.....is it AGE?

Auzmink

I amend that. I have a problem when the strips are skinny and raggedy. If the strips are full and sleek, the jacket is nice. The other kind just looks cheap.

FLinFL

You've hit the nail on the head there. Cheap vertical strips also look bad too ... the type where it 2cm wide then has 5 cm of heavy leather. I would assume again you'd agree. Having said that, these coats aren't bad for play if yu get them cheap! (about the only thing they are nice for)