Ugly furs you just don't like

Guest freemetolovefur

Hello all.

Don't attack me, but I find fisher fur to be ugly. Its brown color does nothing for me, and its relative coarseness is off putting.

I also am not a fan of gray fox. Ugly colors and coarse guard hairs.

I only like Russian squirrel for its softness, not its color(s). The only rabbit I like is rex.

I have discerning taste:)

Tricia

Beg to differ in a BIG way - agreed the soft browns are perhaps not as evocative as say the tones in Silver Fox, but a big Fisher coat is just wonderful to wear - SO SO SOFT and very sensual.

Auzmink.

I think this discussion proves that although we all love fur in one way or other, our individual tastes and preferences differ widely as to what is beautiful or ugly in fur.

For those who like very soft fur, I agree with freemetolovefur about rex. It is an excellent substitute for chinchilla.

I believe one needs to be careful about classifying the fur of a species as course or soft, beautiful or ugly. With many fur bearing species the quality, color, and softness can vary widely from one pelt to the next. Unfortunately, not all furriers have access to top quality pelts.

An honest moment.

I HATE BLACK

The total absence of color.

I also looooovvvveeee Fisher. I real life it is very close to Sable in my fondness scale.

Gray Fox is neither here nor there??

OFF

Only one thing that I had less of a "Love" for. sometimes they will dye blue fox into a brown. That still feels nice, etc., but it just looks very "Dirty". Not too fussy about fox dyed bright red or yellow or dark blue or stuff like that either. Just kind of ruins it in my opinion.

Furs that don't work for me are generally pushing the boundaries of fur anyway: shearling, karakul, persian lamb, and pony among them.

Unless I was mistaken, I've never touched fisher, but guessing from its appearance and descriptions of it, I'd imagine it can be sensational.

Black mink can be amazing when guard hairs reflect light just so, assuming its fluff to be equally inviting as other-colored mink. Another black fur I like--though not wholly black is skunk. The pelt I felt must've been prime because it certainly didn't look like the coarse hair I see on road-killed skunks.

Despite its rather bristly guard hair, I've come very much to appreciate the nutria jacket I struck quite the bargain on at a thrift store. Seeing such a down-to-earth fur as that can be exciting to me, I can't imagine despising gray fox if it's anywhere between my experience of nutria and blue fox. But I've never touched gray fox. I like its varieties of color and how red fox trimmings can blend with it.

I'm a bit mixed in my opinions on dyed furs. Crystal fox is amazing. Blush fox decent, especially when trimming blush mink. With some rare exceptions featured in some late 60's Vogue issues, I'm not much drawn to bright or fluorescent colored furs. The exceptions I'm thinking of were mink dyed in brilliant stripes and chinchilla nudged in one pastel direction or another. It may be that I remember those images so fondly because at the time in my life I turned to them I knew of so few places to see pictures of fur.

Images of sheared furs generally don't grab me much. But then again, I imagine most of what they have to offer isn't in how they look but how they feel, and I haven't had a chance to fondle many. I understand they require extra maintenance to keep from hopelessly matting, another reason I'd prefer natural-textured fur over them.

What I don't like about rabbit is how quickly it sheds and how quickly it shreds. But that doesn't mean I overall hate rabbit fur!

frugalfurguy

snowtop fox is especially nice but i have not saw much of it. seems to change colour as it blows in the breeze. I would love to have one of those! I have promised myself a full length one some time.

I love rex. I love Fisher. ...now that I think of it, as long as it is a high quality piece, made by a craftsman, I love them all!!

I (generally!) agree, Linda. The only furs I really don't like are pony skin and broadtail. I am not crazy about otter (on me anyway) but I can understand that others appreciate its qualities.

Who actually likes Broadtail or the curlly lambs anyway

I posted a few pictures from a few eBay sellers in curly lamb that they looked good in. But then they would have looked good in burlap sacks.

OFF

Referencing the original post ... Fine quality fisher is wonderful. I think it has great color and is a luxurious long haired fur.

Edited by Guest

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

You know, I have realized that there are folks out there who don't like fur because it's soft - instead, they favor it as a status symbol in an unfeeling world. I think those are the buyers of American Grey Fox and Persian Lamb. Those are two of the most unpleasant furs I've experienced. I didn't really like mink so much until I found a great reversible leather-to-mink jacket last Christmas for 70% off. Sometimes it's one garment or experience that makes the difference.

I am not a fan of Sheared Furs of any type or most dyed furs.

Two of my most favorite furs are Sheared Beaver and one of the softest of all furs, sheared Alaska Fur Seal.

You know, I have realized that there are folks out there who don't like fur because it's soft - instead, they favor it as a status symbol in an unfeeling world. I think those are the buyers of American Grey Fox and Persian Lamb. Those are two of the most unpleasant furs I've experienced.

As much as I would like to like American Grey Fox, you're absolutely correct. It's like Brillo.

OFF