Auction sniping service - any suggestions?

Sablecloak

Greetings all!

I've recently been outbid on a couple of furry treasures on ebay Seeing as the winning bid was placed 2 seconds before the auction closed, what chance does one have competing against that?

I read an old topic about sniping but didn't see any recommendations about what's the best program or service to use for sniping. When I google it there seems to be a multitude of the things... which is the best one that you've used?

Thanks

The best you can do is show the maximum bid up front. Since Ebay doesn't show that, if someone outbids you later, you couldn't afford it anyway.

I'll admit that it is not easy to win a bid in the last two seconds. But the way to try to win on Ebay is to abstain from bidding at all until the last few seconds. Then, to bid to get your entry into the system as close to one second as possible. You will lose some trying to do that, because you can run into a suddenly slow internet connection, etc. But on the whole, you will win.

Remember though to resist bidding one or two days out or even a week out. That just gives your position away to other bidders.

W

I vote with LTNK.

Decide how much money you are willing to pay right at the beginning. Bid that amount right up front.

eBay does not divulge the amount of your maximum bid, nor will it take more than one bidding increment above the last bid as your high bid if that amount is enough to win.

No other person can know how much you bid unless you divulge that information yourself. Even at the end of the auction, if your winning bid takes the item, nobody will know how much you were WILLING to bid.

Pay for a sniping service if you wish but I think it's a waste of money.

You will either spend MORE money on the service or you will be more likely to bid crazy amounts of money that you otherwise wouldn't have.

Having learned that same lesson, I suggest that you decide how much you are willing to spend and then watch the auction until the last minute and then bid your max. It takes about 10 seconds to place the bid. So do not wait past the 30 second mark. You have to want it and pay to get it. Do not bid what you are willing to spend up front. WAIT WAIT WAIT and give others as little time as possible to react and bid.

Indeed, waiting is the best way to keep the price low.

These sniping practices though have made me change my listings to Fixed Prices instead of Auctions

I do a lot of eBay bidding and I do it the old fashioned sniping way. Seconds before.

Having two monitors helps and I'm often able to drop a bid 2 to 3 seconds to closing.

LTNK is correct in that you bid the max YOU CAN AFFORD. I always do and even at the last second I don't always win.

The pleasant surprise is when I do it the last second and I'm the only one bidding

That's happened more than once.

There have been times also where I put in a "Mt. Everest" bid and I've been out bid. That's when you know someone really wanted it more than anyone on earth

OFF

There have been times also where I put in a "Mt. Everest" bid and I've been out bid. That's when you know someone really wanted it more than anyone on earth

OFF, i just got a flash of you proxy bidding $29,035.00.

!!!!!

Sigh. The drugs haven't worn off yet.

anyway.

Yes, I agree with what's been said here thus far...it really sucks, though, if you don't have a superfast connection speed and must continually refresh the site to bid at the last possible second. I had dial-up in my house in grad school (!!!), and since I never used the University computers for my fur pursuits, I was sniped out of so...many...furs...

good luck,

J.

It's been ages since I bid on any furs on eBay. But my experience there more generally has been that I'm much better off if I don't get too fixed on there HAVING to be a particular outcome of an auction I'm interested in. I might feel disappointed when something I find attractive goes to another bidder. But minding certain limits, and not requiring instant gratification, I've done pretty well.

For me there's another issue about bidding early versus sniping (never heard it called that until right now). If I commit to a bid early on, that money's tied up at least until I'm outbid. That means if another item that might also do ends sooner, I don't want to bid on two items unless I want more than one. So I tend to hold back on my commitment if I can see a sequence of items that so far as I could tell meet my requirements. I'll bid on the one ending soonest first. If I'm outbid there, I move on to the next and so on.

So far I'm satisfied with the desires I've fulfilled by bidding that way. I haven't gotten a bunch of excess stuff (clutter), nor have I spent extra money acquiring clutter.

Of course, as the frugalfurguy, my values are probably a little deviant for here so take it with a grain or three of salt.

frugalfurguy

I found this on Ebay :

eBay Countdown

Find out what makes eBay Countdown so fun and exciting! Monitor your auctions with instant updates to the current bid and time remaining for your items. Get quick access to all your watched and bid on items. On screen bidding is fast and easy. No download required!

Try it now.

http://countdown.ebay.com/start.jsp

I'll cut to the chase: I use bidnip, www.bidnip.com . It is very inexpensive and works great.

However, sniping won't work if you are not willing to bid an amount that is likely to win. You still have to decide how much your willing to bid. I have about a 75% success rate with bidnip. The 25% I have not won were because I was outbid, which would have happened whether sniping or not. I've gotten 12 really nice furs this way, minks and fox, and it is so much fun to win and then get that fur delivered!

There is absolutely NO reason to get caught up in 'bidding' during the days leading up to a close. Some feel real 'ownership' because they have been bidding over a few days only to get sniped. IMHO, all you are doing is running up the price. Wait, be patient, know how much your willing to spend, then snipe.

I know that many get pissed here about it, sorry, but it is legitimate and fair. Bottom line is that you are being out bid.

Congratulations!

Interesting note. Dicker and Dicker was the name of another ebay seller who recently changed their name. They were affiliated with the original company in Califorinia. Looks like they have started their own eBay store.