Bloody Hell, it's just not Beer.

Mr Barguzin

You want a beer that goes down better and you don't like the finish?

I don't always drink Guinness. Lots of times, I drink Fuller's ESB and Bass and stuff like that... when I can get them.

It's like eating chocolate ice cream one day then deciding to have strawberry the next. (Mmmm! Chocolate Stout! )

NEVER EVER ORDER ANYTHING BY AN-BUSH. OR SAB/MILLER OR COORS... it's all crap. Frankly, Worker, you can order a Yeungling in any PA bar without any harm coming to your butt! Trust me, I've been in many of those places...

FLinFL

While I won't ever claim to be a "beer lover" and a half a beer is likely enough to send me three sheets into the wind, I have occasionally took advantage of some of the local beers Micro-Brewed in Wisconsin and a few of them aren't all too bad.

I have tried Guiness, and due to my lack of understanding in what a good beer tastes like, I'm ill-equipped to make any comments on it whatsoever.

I can somewhat stomach Tsing-Tao and Kiriin Beers, which are Chinese(?) and Japanese respectfully...I think. When I do drink, it's one of those to nurse the whole meal though.

The best beer on the planet is molson's Brador.

(not american molson!)

Its only available in Quebec though...

I am German...I know beer LOL

THIS IS THE BEST!

ppppppprost!!

you dont like Budwar?

I cant say I have tasted that but would bow to your suggestion if you can tell me in all honesty it better than budwar.

If you are german why are they telling me you are american and why the avatar? Thats not a rude question, and not loaded...just curious.

...you can order a Yeungling in any PA bar without any harm coming to your butt!

The average American beer drinker is becoming more aware these days. It's a lot more acceptable to order non-mainstream beers than it used to be. I don't feel uncomfortable in most bars asking, "Do you have any micros or imports?"

You can judge from the beertender's reaction whether you should continue the line of questioning or just order "Bud".

Hey! I thought about you, tonight, FLinFL!

My wife and I went to the annual membership dinner at our gun club. I walked up to the bar to cash in our two free drink tickets and spied Yuengling Lager in the cooler!

Had a couple of cold ones! They hit the spot!

Rather than asking if a bar has any imports or micros, simply ask for a beer list - just the way one would ask for a wine list. Most upscale places will either have one or at least tell you what they have on draft or in bottles.

FLinFL

...who's attended the GABF (Great American Beer Festival) 10 years running and probably tasted 1,500 or 1,600 different beers over that time frame!

Rather than asking if a bar has any imports or micros, simply ask for a beer list - just the way one would ask for a wine list.

In any bar that didn't have a trough urinal that would work. At the "Valley Inn" a question like that would be met with a snicker. It's a good thing I don't go into that place very often, except for a certain perverse form of entertainment I like to participate in every once in a while.

You tell a guy who's never been to a redneck bar before to meet you at the "Valley Inn Country Club" and to wear a shirt and tie because they have a dress code. Of course you meet him there wearing a flannel shirt and blue jeans.

Next time I do that, I'll have to get him to ask for the Beer List. That would be PRICELESS!!

probably tasted 1,500 or 1,600 different beers over that time frame!

I would SOOO love to try that many different beers! I am seriously jealous! But the fact is that I probably shouldn't be drinking at all. I love beer too much to give it up alltogether. I allow myself the indulgence but I have to set limits:

1) Two beers maximum, except on special occasions.

2) No cheap beer. If there isn't any good beer I'll drink Coke.

3) Beer only. No liquor. Except for the occasional champaigne toast or wine with dinner, etc.

If I didn't set limits I'd be a wreck. I've been doing it for more than 10 years and I'm doing fine.

Hi guys Great discussion ,I thought i'd give my two cents,being the token Paddy hereabouts!.........Now i know that being Irish doesnt automatically make me an expert on beer! but i have had a wide variety over the years(No Honestly) And in my humble yet highly experienced opinion some of the best beers in the world come from Belgium, Duvel being my fave.But i have to agree that a properly served pint of Guinness or Murphy's stout is a joy to behold.

Token irisman Cling79;

Like your choices but like a good coffee, beer is best when fresh.

It's good Guinness and Murphy is close by for you.

I think they suffer in travel since my local Brew Pud's variation is slightly better and I'm sure it's a freshness thing.

I first tasted Guinness in Santiago, Cuba of all olaces in 1956. I was a Sailor asking for a red wine. So much for my Spanish. I was delivered Guinness instead. I've never regreted it for a moment.

Great with Red Snapper baked in a palm leaf.

OFF

Smashing OfF I too have plied the ocean waves ,I've got to say you've got it right about Stout not travelling well but i've heard that the Guinness for export is "Adjusted "to the local tastes e.g. made sweeter for the US and Canada and more watery for the asian market.You can get a great pint in Montreal though.

Just out of curiosity everyone but how much would you drink in an evening say normally.

Beer wise Its very seldom I drink beer unless its in the summer and its really hot outside.

99% of the time morning til night, Im usaly drinking Scotch or Tequila these days and not the cheap stuff ethier.

Just out of curiosity everyone but how much would you drink in an evening say normally.

I have a self-imposed 2 beer limit per day except special occasions.

A couple-three beers per month, average.

Maybe 1 or 2 "special occasions per year.

Only once in a blue moon will I be too drunk to drive. On those nights I hand the keys off to my wife and let her drive home.

Instead of asking for a beer list, you know the routine - ask 'what's on tap' and/or 'what's in bottles'. Sometimes you might get surprised. The other thing to do is to stop going to townie bars and find a decent brewpub. I remember there being one down in the Fort Washington area... I think Stoudts in Lancaster has a beer garden... Victory is pretty common.

The nice thing about tasting those 1,500, 1,600 beers is that you do it one ounce at a time!

FLinFL

I am definitely not a beer connoisseur, just like I'm not a wine connoisseur (to The Duchess' dismay - she takes after her uncle, who had a wine cellar that was the envy of just about everyone who saw it!) but I do know what I like and what I don't like.

I hate "hoppy" beers. YUCK! IMHO, they taste like their ingredients sat somewhere too long and started to go bad. I like the lager beers. Icehouse isn't bad, either, and I think I remember that Sam Adams is pretty good, too. I also like Killian's Red. Yuengling's is still my fav.

The other thing to do is to stop going to townie bars and find a decent brewpub.

You're right about that. The part about the Valley Inn Country Club is mostly me being a wiseass. I really didn't go to places like that very often, precicely because they don't have a good selection. Only once in a while just to initiate a new guy. When we do (or did, rather) drinking good beer wasn't at the top of the priorities list. I've grown up a lot since those days.

There WAS a good brew pub in this town but it just recently went bankrupt. Not because of the beer but because of poor financial management. The brewery is off-premises and is run by different management so they still sell the beer. Just not in that place anymore.

I hate "hoppy" beers. YUCK! IMHO

Judging by that statement and the kinds of beers you like I'm going to guess that you don't like "fuggles". It's a variety of hop that has a distinctive flavor. Sam Adams, Killians, Icehouse and Yuengling don't use that variety. A lot of people don't like the tast of fuggles.

It's just a preference thing.

Taken from WIKIPEDIA:

Particular hop varieties are associated with beer styles, for example true Pilseners, which are usually brewed with European (and often Czech) hop varieties such as Saaz, Hallertau, Strissel, and Spalt. English ales use hop varieties such as Fuggle, Golding and Bullion. North American varieties include Cascade, Columbia, and Willamette.

I'm just the opposite FrBrGr, I can't get enough hops in my beer! Yes, I'm a veritable fur coat wearin' hop head! Push the IBUs (International Bittering Units) up over 120 and I'm in heaven!

FLinFL

...keep in mind a Bud Lite or Miller Lite comes in around 10 IBUs.

• 4 weeks later...
you dont like Budwar?

I cant say I have tasted that but would bow to your suggestion if you can tell me in all honesty it better than budwar.

If you are german why are they telling me you are american and why the avatar? Thats not a rude question, and not loaded...just curious.

hahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's a fair question....

I was born German

I worked my ass off, learned the language, and earned my right to become American....

I recommend it to all nationalities, as long as you OBEY emigration laws.....

It's the thing to do!

America ROCKS!!!

There's a "novelty band" called the "Asylum Street Spankers". They have a song called "Beer". You may have heard it on one of the syndicated "morning drive time" radio shows.

>>> CLICK HERE to download the song "Beer". <<<

(** Note: Coarse Language. -- They drop the "F-Bomb" one time in the middle of the song. **)

>>> CLICK HERE to view the "Asylum Street Spankers" website. <<<

PS: This is a legal download. The band has an "Open Recording Policy". They maintain an archive of those recordings. The download above is from that archive. All this information is laid out on their website.

Besides, if you like the music sample you download, you are more likely to buy one of their CDs. Aren't you?