St. Louis, Missouri - good city for fur?

ArgentFox

My wife and I will be visiting St. Louis in early January. Just wondering how common furs are there since she'll be taking at least one of her fur coats. While she enjoys wearing fur, she doesn't like to feel out of place.

It tends to be a sad fact that nearly anyone who wears furs out of doors these days is going to stand out a bit, which is to say be out of place to one degree or another. Saint Louis certainly has the low temps during mid winter to wear fur, and one thing I have noticed when traveling through warmer regions is that what is considered warm in the north is downright frigid south...or vice versa south of the equator. My advice is take fur along and see what happens and how your wife feels once there. Personally I do not worry so much about standing out of place, but not all women feel this way, and being uncomfortable aobut something one otherwise enjoys is no fun at all.

I have not been to Saint Louis in years, but it is a fairly wealthy and cosmopolitan metro area so I would not be surprised if inclement weather brings out at a least a small herd of mink. Neiman's and Saks used to have large fur salons in Saint Louis back in the 80's and there was a very nice place on Lindbergh Boulevard called The Fur Centre that featured 5-6 furriers under one roof. I discovered I was not a fan of otter (river otter, I suppose, for Freemetolovefur's benefit) at a Saint Louis salon. 8)

I don't think your wife would be uncomfortable wearing fur there at all. Of course just as certain attire is more appropriate for certain occasions, wearing different furs would be the same.

I wear furs to the grocery store, to Home Depot (home repair store, for non-US members) I do get comments, but they have been positive and supportive.

Any resistance I have sensed is not one because of PETA issues, but one of class-economic issues. Many believe furs are so expensive only the richest can afford them. Which we know is not true! 8)

But, that is just what I have experienced. Others might feel differently.

Linda

Any resistance I have sensed is not one because of PETA issues, but one of class-economic issues. Many believe furs are so expensive only the richest can afford them. Which we know is not true!

Very good point, Linda! I do think some anti-fur sentiment is more socio-economic than animal welfare related. Some of those folks probably have negative reactions to Lexus and Mercedes vehicles (among other things) as well.

JG;

You bet your bippy.

The shaddow culture hates all things material yet they are the ultimate materialistic succers of all.

OFF

I will again say the same...there are very few if any PETA protests among people of the far north where it is looked upon as natural to wear furs, only at places perceived as being wealthy. This is just evidence of the real agenda of these people.

The greatest things about Saint Louis are the original cast iron building facades and THE ARCH!!!!!!

The worst thing about Saint Louis [and Cincinnati] is the unbelievable and horrifying summers.

OFF