Fur in Literature?

ArgentFox

It would be helpful to make a list of novels, etc. that contain positive references to fur coats. Obviously, there is "Venus in Furs." I'd like to know books that are a little less obvious however. For example, in John Grisham's "The Firm," the main character buys his wife a fox fur coat, which was apparently much appreciated as a gift.

So, any other books that make gratuitous and positive references to women wearing furs?

I think matter-of-fact portrayals of people wearing fur in mainstream/popular media are important.

My best and most often-used example is "Hagrid" from Harry Potter.

>> Cliquez vous. <<

Edited by Guest

Good question. You know, I've often wondered if Tom Clancy is one of us:

-In older books, Cathy Ryan wears a fur--"doctors have little use for animal rights activists." (I forget which book, but Jack and Cathy Ryan head to a congressional party where Jack and a Senator have an altercation--to set up a false story for the press).

-In The Cardinal of the Kremlin, the KGB head's wife and daughter wear furs as they are defecting--and the daughter falls in the water.

-I believe in The Bear and the Dragon, an elderly Russian sniper traps foxes and tips the fur in gold. Numerous references are made to the fur, and how President Ryan will receive one as a gift.

-In one of the later books, Jack Ryan is said to now be a "connoisseur of furs."

Yes, Mr. Clancy, if you're reading this...please join us! You're welcome here!

Those are some cool references! I have always liked Clancy novels/movies. Red October is one of my faves.

One thing I want to point out is that characters who say things for OR against animal rights issues make it more difficult to get the point across. Once they say the first word, it automatically brings up the viewer's/reader's personal beliefs on the issue. If that's what the author WANTS to do, that's OK. Otherwise, that tactic will fail.

I think the best tactic is to have characters who like fur and wear it in a very matter-of-fact way. They just WEAR fur as if there's nothing in the world wrong with it.

The character should be a good/sympathetic character in the story.

I really liked Glen Close as "Cruella De Vil" in 101 Dalmations

http://www.imdb.com/gallery/ss/0115433/1-1.jpg.html

but the problem with her is that she's not a sympathetic character. She's actually an anti-fur character. Watch the movies. Read the story lines.

She is an evil person. ("De Vil" = DEVIL) She is defeated in a particularly nasty way. (Wallowing in mud.)

As much as I like her for WEARING fur, she's not a good PRO-FUR example.

We need characters who make people think fur is NORMAL.

One of my personal all time favourites comes from the second novel by Ivana Trump, where there is a description at a European ski resort of one of the secondary male characters wearing a full length Russian lynx coat and matching hat...and no guys, the character is definitely not gay.

The Widow of Desire by Justin Scott. It's a thriller about some people trying to stem the decline of the Soviet Union (decline, not fall, since it was written in the late '80s). The fur industry it heavily featured, and portrayed in a good light. the heroine also spends much of the book in a white Russian lynx coat.

Thank you J, although it is because I have been spending so much time typing other thins of late that there has been a tad less here. I would really like to write a novel that could be the basis of a series or even a genre of fur romance type novels. My concern in bring up the idea professionally is that although in our corner of the world the demand would of course be great, would it reach enough others to make it worthwhile? Thoughts on this?

I would really like to write a novel that could be the basis of a series or even a genre of fur romance type novels. My concern in bring up the idea professionally is that although in our corner of the world the demand would of course be great, would it reach enough others to make it worthwhile? Thoughts on this?

I think it would depend upon how well written/crafted the novel was (as it is with most any other book). I would definitely be interested in the genre ... And I think there are many more across the globe who would appreciate a wonderful story full of compelling characters sporting glamorous furs. But that's just my two cents worth. 8)

P.S. I would not be surprised if it was translated into French and Russian.

P.S.2. Don't forget to have the publisher feature the heroine on the cover wearing a dreamily decadent floor length Russian sable or lynx coat. Or even better, Russian sable on the front cover and Russian lynx on the back cover.

Oh yes, the cover artwork furs will definitely be a major part of the overall novels...after all, one may not be able to read a book by its cover but I do know that they help to sell them.

• 2 weeks later...