Furriers in Amsterdam...

Ulti

I'm going there soon and I wish to visit one with my girlfriend.

Things I need to know if you people would be so kind...

I assume firstly my girlfriend would be more than able to try on any furs she likes, without buying anything. I hope anyway. (Too poor to afford one unfortunately, but I'd like to know how she feels wearing one for the future *cough* )

Secondly, where are they? Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance for any help you guys / gals can give.

Was visiting last year, didn't see / find any furriers but interestingly some excellent second hand shops with great leather jackets and some furry items which were in pretty good condition

Worth hunting for ....and respectable prices......

Auzmink

Was visiting last year, didn't see / find any furriers but interestingly some excellent second hand shops with great leather jackets and some furry items which were in pretty good condition

Worth hunting for ....and respectable prices......

Auzmink

I'll try find them atleast

I have this image from WWII movies of the Northern Europeans all wearing Leather jackets or long leather trench coats Usually the bad guys.

OFF

no furriers per se, the one i visited 5 years ago said she was going out of business, and she was the last one in the centrum (downtown amsterdam). i bought a great king size fur throw for 200 euros last year at a street market. there were a few furs, but mostly you will find sheepskin and fur trims.

ask the desk clerk of your hotel if they can recommend any street markets. that is how i found my blanket. i had been to a'dam 3 times before and had never been to the one i found out about from my desk clerk. the locals know. don't be too embarassed to ask.

waterlooplein is the main one near the centrum, noordermarkt may be the one i visited. i saw probably a dozen furs while looking around in april at one in that area directly west of the Centraal station.

it is also important to consider what day it is, as not all markets are open every day of the week.

btw when in amsterdam on the cheap visit the hotel doria. i have stayed there 3 of the 4 times i have been. the staff is nice and you get a small room for not alot of cash. have fun!

It blows my mind that a European city with a population of ~750,000 and a metro area of ~1,300,000 and an average low temperature December through March of ~0 C does not have multiple furriers.

http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Europe/Netherlands/Provincie_Noord_Holland/Amsterdam-463377/Shopping-Amsterdam-PC_Hooftstraat-BR-1.html

If I understood correctly, your reference to PC Hooftstraat is like saying check out Madison Avenue in New York or Michigan Avenue in Chicago. (Not very specific.) Just curious ... Do you know the names of specific furriers in the area? (One of these days I'm going to get around to visiting Northern Europe!) For example, if someone was visiting Chicago I could list at least a dozen places to go on Michigan that would carry fur or fur-trimmed garments.

I've lived in Amsterdam for almost all my life. The furriers that once were here are all gone now because of PETA related actions unfortunately. Indeed you can try the PC Hoofstraat or otherwise I can recommend the second hand shops in what we call the '9 straatjes' area / Jordaan. You'll find some second hands over there. But if you planned this trip for fur shopping, you might be disappointed. There are a lot better places in Europe..

Have fun anyway!

Ow men! come on. You guys live in Amsterdam...

Okay, all the furriers are gone but indeed the 2nd hand shops deliver some stash of furs and it is in any case much more affordable then the PC Hoofdstraat. (wich sucks anyway).

Please be aware that we have for decades anti fur activists and for most dutch folks wearing fur is more like "not done" or get stared at. (In amsterdam you are lucky, nobody cares and faux fur is well available last years).

Fur hotspots are the 2nd hand shops on the Albert Cuyp market and the fleemarket on Waterlooplein. Both markets are every day open, except sunday. *Tip: on the end of the albert kuyp, behind the stands on the street look in the shops. Some of them have way in the back (almost hidden) lots of old furs, like mink.

For real fur action, go to Italy, like Milan (still haven't done a trip)

Germany, Dortmund (there is an auction in the center where you find new furs between the old furniture, seen on travel program.)

But the best way to see more than 2 furs a day is to visit a member from the forum in the Netherlands and let's you in his wardrobe

Cannot add anything to the discussion regarding furrier locations, but I have flown through Amsterdam airport several times during the winter and have never had any problems from people regarding my furs...some compliments in fact but definitely no hassles.