I have needed to get away from mod duties and relax

ReFur

I have been spending way too much time on the den and White Fox has encouraged me to get away from here. Sometimes being a mod can be wearing. "Get away! Relax!! Let the wind run through your hair!!," He said. I thought it was a great idea.

With that in mind, I went out Tuesday night to sail with my husband on Lake Charlevoix, in a local racing club, the Boyne City Yacht Club. He has a fast little boat called a C Scow made by Melges. A lot of fun to sail.

Because it is a small sailing club all sorts of boats sail together. Including large ones. When you are on the starting line and the winds are strong it can be a little hairy. (Are you starting to sense that this is not going to end up as a relaxing experience? )

Well to get right to the point, one of the larger boats made a quick tack and turned right into us, just at the point that Bob sets. They didn't have anyone on their fore deck and with their large sails, they couldn't see us.

Bob managed to get up and take one step forward before he was thrownt into me and we both smashed against the boom!! When I broke Bob's flying fall, my head smashed into the side of the boom. It "rang my chimes," but I wasn't knocked out cold. I was watching this whole thing happen in disbelief. It was one of those events that turns into a slow motion event.

Luckily, we ended up with minor damage and Bob and I are bruised and banged up. Broke my expensive sunglasses and have a huge goose-egg on my head I am nursing!

But, seriously, we could have been hurt badly. I though our boat was going to be cut in half and all we got was a big boo-boo, so that was good, too.

So, ...White Fox, I think I will just stay here on the den when I feel the need to get away from work, ...OK???

Here are some pictures of our sailing club:

http://www.sparwars.us/markmadness/mm2006/Mark%20Madness%202006%20Photos.htm

http://www.boynecityyachtclub.com/RacingFleet.html

Linda

White Fox wondered what sailors on the other boats had said.

There have been a few close calls out there in the last few years. So, we do evaluate what happened and change procedures so hopefully it will not happen again.

In this case, the captain was very experienced, and an excellent sailor. But, it was a new boat for him this season, and is quite a bit larger than his previous boat. The sails blocked his vision more than the other boat, too. He now is adding another person to the foredeck for spotting.

The biggest thing was everyone felt so sorry for me, since I don't crew with Bob often. There aren't many women in the crews so they try very hard to encourage us.

The scary part is, if Bob had moved 5 seconds later. The bow would have hit him in the head first, then the boat. He could have easily been killed.

One thing that was funny, Bob had for some reason looked back and saw the boat almost on top of him. (Not sure if I said something, or if he saw the terror on my face! ) He had enough time to stand up and move one step forward. He then flew into me from the impact.

One of the other boats saw Bob going toward me and thought, "Oh, isn't that wonderful!!? Bob was trying to protect, Linda. ...awe!! "

I will never tell them, ...he was really trying to save his life!!

Linda

There is one last lesson I learned from this.

If someone has been hit in the head. Don't ask them if they are OK. There will say yes. Even when they are not. It could be a fatal mistake.

Linda

If someone has been hit in the head. Don't ask them if they are OK. There will say yes. Even when they are not. It could be a fatal mistake.

Yep, you soon learn in first aid to say "Can you talk" instead of "Are you ok".

Does remind me of one experience. I went sailing with a guy. Once. He said to me "Turn right". And I promptly almost sunk the boat. For some reason he NEVER took me again! I could never figure out why.

J

Glad you survived your little escape, Linda!

I don't know squat about sailing. I don't usually associate it with life-threatening situations unless it's in stormy weather. It sounds like you want to be sure that whoever's in charge of a craft knows what she or he's doing, and even if they do, there are certain risks.

Then, of course, there are storms. Given another life and lots more money that time around I might be inclined to learn something of it.

For now I'm glad I've got an escape. I can put on my helmet and go cycling. How soon before the topsider set join the sporting crowds who strap some molded styrofoam on their noggins before taking off? Or is that just too unspeakably NERDY?

Welcome back!

frugalfurguy

frugalfurguy,

Where I live, ...unless you drive to a bike trail a half hour away, this is very dangerous sport. They actually have formed a club to warn the public and bikers on how many are hit and killed locally on bikes.

We live in a rural, resort area. Lots of roads with poor shoulder arms, curving roads, and lots of people from out of town. Plus, many older drivers who should not be behind the wheel.

So, ...my bike is in my garage. I Rollerblade at the local State Park instead, ..with my helmet on. 8) I look a lot like robocop when you see me. Of course, Bob is there in shorts with no protective gear. Why do opposites attract? 8)

On sailing: it does not have to be expensive at all. Many times there are sailing clubs, like ours, that have a goal to get new members sailing. Owners of boats will teach them to crew. Eventually many go on to buy their own boats. The boat my husband owns is actually very inexpensive to own. I believe a used one is under $5000. A lot of fun! But, you have to be a good sailor to sail it.

Linda