Utube Video Entries

White Fox

I've received a message that some of the videos in Utube that we link to might be copyright.

Many of you folk are far more knowledgeable on what might and might not be copyright that our staff are.

If you know of any entries that are copyright please let us know. (Even if they were posted by me! )

We should avoid links to any copyright info in our Utube thread and especially in our Wiki Utube area where we save links to these so all of you can find them cataloged out easily with references to the amount of fur. Yes, we can get away with links to many areas. But some we cannot, and we need to stick to one basic rule here to be fair to everyone. If you wish you can ask members to PM you re any that are extra good.

If you know of any that are copyright please give me, AK, or Worker a quick PM to let me know.

please do not post any Utube links on this thread. Please keep them in the Utube thread.

Thanks

White Fox

Virtually anything on YouTube is copyrighted-- and on that site in violation of its copyright, unless it was placed there by the copyright-holder him- or herself. Even if someone, for instance, places a fur commercial on there that was recorded on a VCR umpteen years ago, and that has never been shown on television by its creator or sponsor since its original broadcast cycle (e.g., that c.-1990 Evans Inc. fur commercial), it is still under copyright, unless its copyright-holder has chosen to place it in the public domain (which is exceedingly unlikely).

Placing snippets of a film on line that contain fur might or might not be construed as a fair-use exception under copyright law-- but its copyright-holder will almost always argue that it exceeds fair use, unless it is being used with explicit permission (obviously) or as part of a critical review that might help increase the value of the film as a whole during its commercial release. (That is why many of us think that Google was insane to buy YouTube at all, let alone for what it paid: It was an invitation to sue Google and dig into its very deep pockets!)

Likewise, by the way, for those thousands of fur photographs in the Fur Den's own Gallery section: They are virtually all under copyright, except for some of the truly vintage shots, and there is no fair-use argument to be made, since the entirety of the copyrighted work-- each individual photograph-- is being used. The fact that you are very unlikely to receive a complaint from a copyright holder (except for the likes of Lana Cox!), let alone to be sued over the fact of the usage, does not change the legal fact that the mere use itself comprises an infringement of someone's statutory intellectual-property rights.

In fact, a plausible argument may be made that the majority of everything on the World Wide Web is there illicitly as an infringement of copyright law! Then again, even if a copyright-holder were to file suit to protect its own copyrighted work(s), it is exceedingly unlikely that someone merely linking to the accused site-- even to the specific work allegedly being infringed, as to a specific video on YouTube-- would be subject to such a suit; and, it is even more exceedingly unlikely that such a linking would be held in and of itself to be a further infringement of the copyright-holder's rights. F.W.I.W.

D. K. Main, J.D.

Yes indeed. Copyright is an interesting and S-T-R A-N-G-E area indeed.

Say you take a photo of you and your cousin. You make a copy of it and send it to your Aunt and Uncle. You have actually broken copyright laws by doing that. (Unless you asked your cousin for permission to copy his picture.) So, we must work within certain guidelines to keep things as much within limits as possible.

Indeed if any member wishes to contribute to this discussion feel free to post here. you will see that the mods are going to be discussing it for awhile in the Back Room Forum.

What we need to do here is to simply try to find some guidelines so you folks know what to work from. What is a copyright video? Can we link to areas with Copyright photos/videos and what is their responsibility. etc. Now then don't expect a quick answer to this. It is summer. Everyone is away on holidays to one spot or another.

But I hope that we can come up with what is at least a basic set of guidelines so you folks have at least a bit of an idea on how to follow them.

By the way, DK, you are correct. It is unlikely that by posting a link to a video that we are breaking copyright in any way. That is why we do not allow video clips here except in extremely unusual circumstances. As you know there is indeed one in the Library. There will likely be more like it. What we are really discussing here is whether we should indeed be not allowing a link to a copyright site as a courtesy to that site owner. I know how simple it sounds. BUT!!! .................

W

Thanks all.

W

Say you take a photo of you and your cousin. You make a copy of it and send it to your Aunt and Uncle. You have actually broken copyright laws by doing that.

He who merely poses for a photograph does not necessarily own the copyright to the photo. He who created the photo does. If YOU are the photographer, you can not infringe on your own copyright.

However, one who poses for a photograph CAN object to having his image published. Copyright and right to privacy are two different issues. Publishing another person's image publicly MIGHT be an infringement on that person's privacy. But, even then, simply copying a photograph and showing it to somebody isn't necessarily an infringement. You have to publish the photo or display it publicly.

Posting a person's picture on the internet without their consent IS a violation of their privacy.

Now... YouTube...

I say that it is YouTube's responsibility to determine whether the media they publish clears copyright.

If THEY publish a movie and WE link to it, I don't see how we are in the wrong. Who is going to get the letter from the copyright holder's lawyer? Us or them?

As long as we don't try to imply that the media in question belongs to the Fur Den, I don't see how we can be responsible.

Simply LINKING to a video on YouTube shouldn't be a problem. If we EMBED said video into one of our pages, there MIGHT be some issue.

nothing wrong with posting links to youtube videos, because they remain on youtube. In other words: you redirect to youtube, the base site.

If there's somethin copyrighted, youtube shoudl remove it, no the furden.

nothing wrong with posting links to youtube videos, because they remain on youtube. In other words: you redirect to youtube, the base site.

If there's somethin copyrighted, youtube shoudl remove it, no the furden.

Google will delete all spider & search results of the Furden if they are pointing to copyright infringement material on youtube. They filter on the url code of youtube.

So there is nothing wrong to post it on the furden, but on the google search engine the furden.com will Lose Credibility and ranking. In other words you hurt the owners and members of the furden with posting copyright infringement material on the furden.

I send almost 2 times a month DMCA complaints to Youtube, if i find out that people are posting my material there.

And i have to say that they pretty fast to delete it. And always they send me a copy of the email they send to the poster of the copyright infringement material.

Here is a example of the email yourtube will send to the poster. I masked the poster ID with *** to safe his privacy.