PETA has truly lost it

Guest deedok

Well we all have our fight against or bitter rivals PETA for the right to wear fur where ever we go and eat meat when ever we want to and such.

This story though just puts it into perspective that PETA will look at anything and say its horrible and cruel to animals. The funny thing is that this story has nothing to do with animals at all!

From autosport.com

Animal rights organization PETA are again attempting to gain publicity for animal rights - but they have picked the wrong example.

Indian MP Maneka Gandhi, on behalf of People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, has interpreted Fernando Alonso's posturing during the Bahrain Grand Prix as a mimicking of the motions of a bullfighter.

Gandhi has therefore written a letter criticising Formula One's world champion.

The Renault driver was seen posturing on top of his car and on the podium after finishing the Sakhir event, and, after the Spaniard refused to explain the move, speculation has been rife about the possible explanation.

The posturing, however, is believed to have nothing to do with bullfighting, and Spanish media claim Alonso's move was an imitation of actor Jim Carrey in the movie How the Grinch Stole Christmas.

Gandhi said attempting to glorify bullifight offends millions of opponents of animal abuse.

"The torment of a living being and his subsequent repeated stabbing and often slow death, as well as the removal of his ears, is barbaric and no longer acceptable by any humane standards", wrote Gandhi.

"Even in Spain, awareness is growing fast, and some towns have already banned this crude, cruel and cowardly spectacle."

In the past, PETA had called to ban the habit of drinking milk at the Indianapolis 500 podium because it was a "beverage born out of cruelty to baby calves" and a "racist drink."

Now I am a motorsports journalist and cover Formula 1 for the site www.updatef1.com, but this story just baffles me. Alonso had just won the first race of the season he was happy and was doing some funky dance on his car in jubilation, not some crazy tribute to Spanish bullfighters.

Oh yeah it takes 3,000 pigs to make enough footballs for one NFL season, I'm suprised PETA has not protested at the Super Bowl.

This is more serious when you realize. It is not simply about animals. They do not believe you should have pets either.

This is about your freedom to practice your own religious beliefs.

Linda

Dont forget they also Include seeing eye dogs for the blind and helper dogs for the disabled.

Now how in the hell can they think thats cruelity to animals when its helping a human have a better life?

I have a job. I go to work every day. I earn my living and then I come home. I LIKE my job! (Mostly.)

Why can't an amimal have a job?

Wouldn't it be logical that a cow's JOB would be to make milk to feed thousands of hungry people?

Wouldn't it be logical that a service dog's job would be to help its human?

If you believe that animals have feelings like humans (I don't) why can't you believe that an animal with a job like that would feel GOOD to know that it is helping the world?

Putting the issue of an animal's feelings/emotions aside, you MUST believe that a dairy cow or seeing-eye dog has a pretty damn good life! Cows get to roam a pasture all day and do whatever they want. Dogs get to explore the world with their human. They both get to eat all the food they want. They get all the medical care they need. They both have a warm place to sleep at night. (Cows get a barn. Dogs get a warm place to curl up by the fireplace.)

All a cow has to do is give milk! All a dog has to do is warn its human when there's danger!

OOH! Tough life!

PETA people used to get me really steamed. After a while, I used to laugh at them.

Now, I mostly feel sad for them.

Those people really need help!

i wonder if there is a world, even in their own minds, in which peta would be finally satisfied with the state of things? oh wait, that would mean they could give it up and let people live. silly me!

No. They are truly sick people.

They have lost the capacity for reason.

I feel the same way about them that I feel for people in the locked wards at the mental hospital. They are tormented by invisible demons who manifest themselves through an unrealistic, imagined "empathy" for animals. They are just as sick as those people who see gremlins at night and who hear voices in their heads telling them to do things.

The only difference is that the people in the hospital are getting help.

PETA are not. That's what makes me feel sad.

At least, I KNOW my own afflictions. I don't hurt anybody else with mine.

PETA do hurt people. That's what makes me feel angry!

Peta is the same as all of the other fanatical groups.

You can bet your life someone is making a lot of money out of it!

And I expect they are doing all the things they are so say against, while all the idiots think that they are fighting a worthy cause (and probably donating a lot money that lines the fat cats' pockets)

The fat cats pick on more and more outrageous claims of animal cruelty, which maintains their income from the idiots that follow them

It's all about making easy money and people are so gullible.

I think you are right, in a sense. If I had to bet, I'd say that there are two main groups of people in the ranks of PETA.

Group #1 are the sick, fanatical people who work the "front lines" protesting and hurting people.

Group #2 are are the fat cats who make money by manipulating people in group #1.

Yes, it's back to McC*rtney and the other fat cat stars.

If was McC*rtney was so caring, why doesn't he give all his money to worthy causes, doesn't he realise that in the developed world there are people living in cardboard boxes.

Nah, all these 'worthy' causes (and what better than protecting cuddly baby seals) are just cheap publicity stunts.

No way is he going to part with his money, he just wants people to realise he is still around, buy more of his music and make him even richer

OOPS, i appear to have gone off-topic

I understand the thing against bullfighting. If the bull was simply allowed to live, it wouldn't be so bad.

However, calling on a race car driver for that, and the things about milk, are just asinine.

I wonder if they will start to attack rally racing which is run on country roads and in forests? Drivers tend to hit the wildlife when they are racing such as a cow or a deer that run out into the stage.

Just let them get madder, sadder and sillier. If we can quietly raise the stupid profile of this group amongst our friends / colleagues etc, expose the hippocracies (eg the dog euthanase episode + crazy stunts etc) people will come to realise they have lost the plot. Why respect an organisation which quite clearly asks non-obtainable goals!! Let rational cool clear thinking debate amongst our friends dictate their opinion of PETA and word will spread.

The more absurd the statements (Alonso stuff) the more they will alienate themselves from the mainstream......

Story update.

Yes it was just a dance like the Spanish media "speculated"

from Autosport.com

World champion Fernando Alonso has put an end to speculation regarding his celebration at the Bahrain Grand Prix.

The Renault driver's posturing after winning the season-opening race generated all kinds of rumours about its meaning, and even upset animal rights organization PETA, who wrote a letter criticising the Spaniard for what they interpreted to be a bullfighter's moves.

The organization said attempting to glorify bullfighting offended millions of people who are against animal abuse.

As expected, PETA has been proved wrong, with Alonso confirming rumours that his posturing was an imitation of actor Jim Carrey in the movie How the Grinch Stole Christmas.

"It's better to clear it because there have been too many rumours," Alonso told Spanish radio Cadena Ser. "It's from a two-year old movie. A kids' movie," added the Spaniard, laughing.

By imitating Carrey, Alonso won a bet placed with friends before the start of the season.

I love this line

"As expected, PETA has been proved wrong, with Alonso confirming rumours that his posturing was an imitation of actor Jim Carrey in the movie How the Grinch Stole Christmas."

There is nothing at all wrong with bullfighting.

Its a ritual that has evolved out of respect for the bull and its prowess as a fighter.

Its better than killing them at birth like we do, or just having them as fat hormone/steroid ridden bulk gene carriers for meat.

The Spanish Bull is a noble animal. It lives like a stud for many years and dies with dignity and glory in the ring.

If animals have any right at all....its to die in a fight......not a slaughterhouse line. So NOBODY who eats ,meat can possibly have the nerve to criticise this noble and religious ritual.

Rather a day as a spanish bull than a lifetime as a an Indian ox.

There is nothing at all wrong with bullfighting.

Its a ritual that has evolved out of respect for the bull and its prowess as a fighter.

Its better than killing them at birth like we do, or just having them as fat hormone/steroid ridden bulk gene carriers for meat.

The Spanish Bull is a noble animal. It lives like a stud for many years and dies with dignity and glory in the ring.

If animals have any right at all....its to die in a fight......not a slaughterhouse line. So NOBODY who eats ,meat can possibly have the nerve to criticise this noble and religious ritual.

Rather a day as a spanish bull than a lifetime as a an Indian ox.

It'll be nice if they let the Bull WIN occasionally though - I mean it's supposed to be a fair fight - Right? If they spend the entire hour teasing the Bull stupid then surely he has the right to finish them off rather than the Matador's mates bailing him out - Quite frankley I think the Bulls need a better agent in these matches!!

A story once told to me by Sir Mark Prescott.

Sir Mark is one of the finest trainers of racehorses in Great Britain.

As a young man in the sixties/seventies he was an extraordinary photographer. He produced the most beautiful set of black and white bullfighting images which you will ever see, and they would change the mind of anyone with an open mind.

What you see in the photographs is dignity, reverence, spitituality, passion and Art. And indeed, great great beauty.

I asked him why he stopped such stunning photography. He pointed to a remarkable shot taken from between the bull horns, from behind, at the young matadors eyes, as he focuses his on the bull, sword raised . The look in the eyes is one of love. Respect for the bull and concentration on how to dispatch him. To all intents and purposes its a moment captured that says:

"the bull is my friend. I repect him. I am grateful to god for him.He will die with dignity as he is meant to". Its a moment of respect between hunter and hunted. Its beautiful.

Five seconds later the matador was dead and Sir Mark points above the door, chomping on cigar. "And that, he says is the stuffed head of the amazing creature that killed him".

Choke on that PETAPHILES.

A story once told to me by Sir Mark Prescott.

Sir Mark is one of the finest trainers of racehorses in Great Britain.

As a young man in the sixties/seventies he was an extraordinary photographer. He produced the most beautiful set of black and white bullfighting images which you will ever see, and they would change the mind of anyone with an open mind.

What you see in the photographs is dignity, reverence, spitituality, passion and Art. And indeed, great great beauty.

I asked him why he stopped such stunning photography. He pointed to a remarkable shot taken from between the bull horns, from behind, at the young matadors eyes, as he focuses his on the bull, sword raised . The look in the eyes is one of love. Respect for the bull and concentration on how to dispatch him. To all intents and purposes its a moment captured that says:

"the bull is my friend. I repect him. I am grateful to god for him.He will die with dignity as he is meant to". Its a moment of respect between hunter and hunted. Its beautiful.

Five seconds later the matador was dead and Sir Mark points above the door, chomping on cigar. "And that, he says is the stuffed head of the amazing creature that killed him".

Choke on that PETAPHILES.

Nice words, but it will take more than that to convince even a moderate animal rights lover, like me.

Yes, I like fur and don't believe in cruelty to animlas. I just consider cruelty to be different than those that PETA believe.

It'll be nice if they let the Bull WIN occasionally...

Take a trip to Pamplona and get in on "The Running of the Bulls."

• 2 years later...
(PETA does) not believe you should have pets either.

I find the animal rights notion that "pets are slaves" to be ridiculous.

Pets are not the only animals people take into their homes. Some people adopt babies.

Adopting (or giving birth to) a human baby is obviously not slavery, so how is having a cat or a dog any different?

Pets and humans have a symbiotic relationship.

People get companionship.

Animals get free food and shelter.

There would be only a handful of dog and cat species if it were not for domestication.

There would be foxes, wolves, coyotes on the dog side. There would be lions, wildcats and civets on the cat side. That would be just about it.

And, as Thomas Hobbes said, their lives would be solitary, poor, nasty, brutish and short.

Animals definitely get the better end of the deal.