Do furs impart any power to men?

trebor

JG;

Same here. Especially at the Mall with the young guys.

I don't fail to get a response from my hooded suede/mink jacket. "It's a super hoodie" was one response.

Never a negative from the youngsters and you'd think they're all PeTAphiles.

OFF

Trebor,

A great question that I do not recall being discussed before.

I believe the answer to trebor's initial question is yes. When I wear my coyote parka I frequently get compliments, usually from women. However more frequently I receive what I call "silent complements" - a smile or sometimes just the hint of a smile. And people are more likely to notice me or at least acknowledge my presence when I wear fur.

I find a man in a fur fascinating! It shows they have a mind of their own and an independence to do what they want.

I think when someone wears a fur, no matter what their gender, there is a sense of "play" and "openness." This is also I wonderful gift to share.

I wear my furs everywhere, as most of you know. WalMart, Home Depot, I wear them. These are casual furs and several different styles for the weather and occasion.

Even when I go into my organic grocery store I get smiles. Must admit I do feel an apprehension when I go there. Lots of vegans who I am certain take offense. So far, have not had a connection with them there. Just lots of smiles and compliments. I am sure part of the reason is I do not come across as an easy victim. I wear my fur with pride and confidence. Bully's don't usually pick on this type of person. Head cases do, though. I know eventually I will run into a nut case; But, has not happened yet!

I too find people, without realizing it, love to touch the fur. It is so sad to me that fur is such a rare thing many have never touched one before.

Linda

PETA would have the whole world believe that anyone "trendy", the pop world, or vegetarian, or into conservation, etc etc is automatically anti fur.

Of course its not true.

Pete Doherty often seems to take more than a little interest in snuggling into Kate Moss' furs.

Tryixe had dreadlocks at one time...and I saw another girl with dreads recently in furs.

I know someone with a health food store whose wife wears a red fox and leather pants.

Saba douglas hamilton wore a blue fox hat recently.

My girfriend is vegetarian.

Often people like this have thought things through and are intelligent enough to realise that fur is NOT cruel, supports native cultures, protects habitats etc.

I even engaged someone in Sea Shepherd who claimed the organisation was NOT against Inuit selaskins being sold (though I think he was speaking for himself not the organisation)

On the other hand, you get "normal" people, or kids brainwashed by PETa, who do NOT think these things through. Therefore they think it is fine to eat KFC but are anti fur. That is the ultimate hypocrisy.

Also many musicians etc get suckered in to supporting PETA as they throw so much money at promoting music. Often though, like the initial rather go naked models, they change their minds when they see the true evil of the movement.

Anyway Linda, just because you go in a health food store does not automatically mean the people there wil be anti fur. One girl I know who is vegetarian for example and works in a health food store wears a rabbit fur bracelet that is native made; and I talk to her a fair bit about furs: she wants a Sami dress with rabbit/fox fur pieces for her wedding. Yet to look at her you would think anti....she is a real hippy(though her mother is Finnish). Another girl at a local fashion college a couple of years back who looked like she may be an anti designed a whole collection in sealskin.

As for the initial question about men wearing furs...the power thing.

Well talking about Finn and lap furs; remember Lordi and the reindeer fur cloaks on Eurovision?

http://www.gigwise.com/gallery/Lordi-(1).jpg

Okay that is an extreme, but nevertheless if you check the timeline you will see that th very first vidence of humans conceptualising was between 70 000 and 40 000 years ago and the evidence for that is that they had

status. That was expressed through furs and necklaces made of fox teeth.

In all aboriginal cultures when you kill an animal you absorb its power, and therefore the act of killing becomes and act of worship and reverance for the animal. You have to be worthy to wear certain furs.

In modern society until the very recent perverse anomally of PETA and the global marketing of synthetics, it is similar: fur becomes a a sign of status: power...for women and men.

Few have been the times when I have been complimented on something I was wearing.

Other than fur.

Many, many, many have been the times I have been complimented when wearing fur! That pretty much sums it up.

As Refur mentioned, it is indeed very sad that so few people can have the chance to wear furs. Hopefully that will soon change! We can only hope! Men in particular miss out on so much for no reason at all. It is indeed an experience that changes winter from something you regret to your favorite season!

Do they impart power? I am not certain of that. But certainly, they get you noticed with envy. I think that too often men misinterpret that "Being noticed" in a negative way rather than positive when it was not meant that way at all.

Edited by Guest

Linda;

You mention the Organic Grocery. I wear mine everywhere as well including the Food Coop [same] since I'm a 'senior' member. A most likely PeTA location. i've never gotten even a strange look. Always a nice comment or nice looks from the most unlikely. It's frequented by local Hippies/college students and Beemer drivers alike [former Hippies].

Also Home Depot with a lot of guys smiling or positive comments.

The consruction worker comments are the best though. I'm on job sites frequently in my work so I get a lot of 'looks' and often comments. Mostly "Wish I had that on today". It's always 10 degrees colder than the surrounding area on a job site in winter.

OFF

OFF,

I where my furs to work also. My manger has been very amused and encouraging ...even started calling me "Broadway___" after Joe Namath .

My coworkers have also started to ask me where my fur is when I don't wear it.

As far as the word "power" is concerned...I would have to define it broadly. It can range from gaining acceptance to being able to influence someone (socially, politically, sexually, emotionally).

I think we would mostly agree that wearing fur is a good "calling card" introduction and conversation piece that "breaks the ice" with many people.

For a man who wears fur, it might signal to women that the man is not afraid of stereotypes and is comfortable with his feminine side. Somehow this seems to be attractive to some women and frightens some men.

When my wife and I wear our furs together we get an even bigger rate of acceptance from people. I really enjoy it when that happens. Especially when we go to restaurants.

Either way, I just enjoy wearing my furs

Trebor

Edited by Guest

trebor,

Your comment caused me to ask myself this question: Do furs bring out the "feminine-side" of men, ..or the "masculine-side" of women? 8)

Linda

I don't know if feminine /masculine side has any meaning. Many t grls for example emulate women while staying straight.

Power is a thing which male females and animals have or they don't; regardless of sexuality.

Your comment caused me to ask myself this question: Do furs bring out the "feminine-side" of men, ..or the "masculine-side" of women

If I thought a woman was displaying a masculine side, Linda, it would be a turn off for me.

It's the way fur usually brings out the flirty feminine side in women that I enjoy, but at the same time gives them power over me simply because I've gone weak at the knees Also because it makes me want to touch, but cant because its not social etiquette (with strangers). I think some girls realise this too, which is why they tend to flirt more, "You can look but cant touch"

Good point Raven.....a VERY distinct form of power.

Could it be that some women also want to touch, stroke, to FONDLE a man's fur.....but CAN"T because it is socially inappropriate?

Trebor

Wearing my fur everyday and giving heartburn to PETA in the most natural way.

Edited by Guest

Could it be that some women also want to touch, stroke, to FONDLE and man's fur.....but CAN"T because it is socially inappropriate?

I reckon so Trebor. Possibly more so since I guess sensual awareness is perhaps more a female trait than masculine. (unless males always supress it because it 's not perceived as "manly", which i kind of suspect might be the case).

And JGalanos? - Shame on you!! Stealing the thunder of a lady in furs by out shining her in public Are you a gentleman sir?

Oh well, go for it. wouldn't it be great if that was always the case. The guys trying to outshine the girls with their furs, and vice versa

This thread has caused me to reflect on the reaction I have to people in fur.

I do think there is a certain "kindred" to anyone who wears them. It means this person is willing to "buck the belief" that it is socially unacceptable to wear furs. (Which I DO NOT agree with!) I think those of you in the UK have a much heavier burden to bear here.

Wearing a fur also means that you can handle being the "center of attention." Many cannot.

To me, a man in a fur is not any any form being feminine. In fact, I feel the opposite. I find it extremely masculine. But, I do not feel that way when I see a woman in a fur. So, guess that it is the litmus test on my comment: Women do not come across as being masculine in a fur.

For instance, MissT. She obviously is comfortable being dominant, which I relate to being masculine. Yet, is there anyone who is more feminine in her wonderful pictures?

ravens8 saying that he would not be attracted to a woman that seemed masculine in a fur. But, I think that wearing a fur does give the person a power of sorts.

Maybe the end result is that fur empowers who we are, what ever that may be.

One thing I have noticed in the animal world, and with couples, very few "couples" are both flamboyant. One is willing to let the other be the center of attention. In my own relationship, which of us plays this role, depends upon the situation. Never thought about that.

When I have more time I would like to share some of my experiences over the years. I think this topic really transcends the issue of fur though, to me fur is the medium, in this case. So, maybe that should be another thread.

Linda

PS JGalanos,

furbabe, just bought a new FL Fisher. I am still hoping we may get a picture of it. 8)

Anyone who has ever seen one, or had the chance to own one, will verify they are the ultimate fur! They transcend a blackgama mink completely, even though it is a wonderful fur! They are a longhair but do not seem to make a woman feel like a linebacker as many of the longhairs do. They are wonderfully soft, but are much less than a Sable. Can be dressed up, ..or down. Very durable, so you do not have to pampered them like a Chinchilla.

I must say, if I ever saw you in a full length Fisher, I would probably fall all over myself to meet you. And, not to put a "make" on you. Just because it is so rare to find a man who understands fur and has the guts to wear one. I would just want to know you.

L

Tanuki is a fur that allows a furrier to really show their skills. The fur can be turned into an incredible, very subtle, work of art.

TOS, JGalanos had an avatar in a Silver Fox, I was embarassed to say how I reacted to it!

I finally had the guts to ask if it was him. 8)

Linda