Whitecoat seal

Francoise1970

Dear members,

I was wondering if the fur of the whitecoat seal is still available. I would love to have a coat of this very fine white fur. Any help is welcome.

Loves,

Francoise.

For the first: The harvest of whitecoat is not allowed

The other side: There will be not much fun on a coat made of it, the fur would simply let all hair during sewing

This is an absolute myth; one which shuits AR groups. Someone should complain to the advertising standards authority for IFAW's new ad for example which depicts a whitecoat being dragged across the ice leaving a trail of blood. It says the trail leads back to britain.

Has ANYONE ever seen a whitecoat fur ietm? No. Because they do not exist.

The only use they would be is very small patches of fur for decoration of mukluks etc.

Often the killing of whitecoats is for mercy reasons as the mother may have been killed and it may face a bleak outlook. The fur is next to uselsss; and certainly any killed are not killed for their fur.

Spot on ToS.

A gross myth perpetrated for spectacular and missleading PR.

Sheared and bleached Beaver or sheared White Mink are excellent "White" furs. Certainly as good as you can get..

OFF

WOW

I'm surprsed eBay is letting it stay on.

They've been not letting ANY Seal on regardless of it being legal.

Sellers have come up with creative alternate names like "Arctic Fur" and the like.

OFF

OFF, as long as a Seal item can be proven to be made by Natives, it is legal on eBay!!

I had two pieces a couple of years back that were hooded Seal coats with Native labels in them. No problems.

Linda

Someone had better buy or make a whole lot of "Native" labels for their coats of questionable origin...I had quite a time driving from Montreal to New York once at the border: that's the last time I drive with 15 of my furs (for play!) in hanging bags in the backseat. I was diverted to the side building next to the toll-booth-without-the-toll at the U.S. border. Police officers emptied my entire car and opened every single one of my bags. I ended up talking so much (that old chestnut about the truth...the WHOLE truth...and...), with the intention of annoying them into releasing me. I basically explained the entire life history of every one of my belongings, from the moment I discovered it on eBay, with references to my fur fetish...dead seriously, looking them straight in the eye. That did it.

It was hilarious later, but now I am wondering whether there would be such a hard time given if I would have been wearing any of the coats. If one would happen to be wearing a fur coat that looks like it's made of seal, would there be border-crossing issues?

J.

Joe;

I recently had a butt length leather jacket with 'for god' real Alaska Fur Seal lining and wore it through the border at Blaine [Vancouver] with not a peep. The only one that has given me any hassle was when I came back with my brown suede and hooded Mink lined jacket and I was wearing my new Lynx lined buckskin jacket.

The suede-Mink was laying in the back seat and I was wearing the Lynx-buckskin. Not a peep over it. They checked out the Mink 'real good'.

I just said I like fur and it was mine

Just had to fill out a customs form without payment since I brought the fur [Mink and suede] to Canada and it was labor only.

Still no mention of the Lynx I was wearing

One of the officers was directing someone where to sit and wait and he said "over there next to the guy in the bucksin jacket"

He knew his leathers anyway.

OFF

I have had problems with wearing fur across, and I think it is because of the old stereotype "With wearing fur he must be a druggie"!

They did tell me one time that you were allowed to bring your own coat across but not furs to sell. In other words pretty much just the one you are wearing.

I have learned that there is an easy way to get across. I just lay my coat on the back seat with the lining out mostly. I usually leave a little bit of fur out though too so it looks exactly like I just threw my coat in the back seat when I took it off. If they were to find it and say anything I would just say "That is just the way it landed". I have just found that it is a great deal easier in the long run, and I would never bring more than one across. They are just too beloved by me to risk losing them that way.

W

I think there are restrictions on native seal furs too in the US. All marine mammal stuff.

As for buying native labels...why not just buy native furs; there are loads around especially in places like Saskatchewan, or the bulk of sheared beavers that are truly beaver not muskrat.

Greatgreenland is the biggest producer of sealskin furs and they are an Inuit company. The PETAphiles don't care they still attack them with vrbal asault every chance they get btw.