Fur Shopping in New York

MaxFur

I'm delivering a training course in New Jersey next week, and my girlfriend is flying out with me. We'll have the weekend before and after the course out there and she want's to go into the city (it's been a few years since we were last there).

I'm going to try persuade her to go fur shopping, so where would be the best place(s) to visit?

The Fur District is located just south of Madison Square Garden in Midtown Manhattan. Figure it runs from roughly 31st St to 27th St and is between 6th and 8th Avenues. If you have a car, take a drive out to Flemington Furs in NJ - that was always a favorite of mine when I lived in the NJ/NYC area.

FLinFL

I would suggest a cab!! 8)

What ever you do don't get into one of the express commuter vans!!! They will kill you! Even the cabs avoid them!

I use the subway when I am there.

Gosh, I love the fur district. Hope it won't be too slow right now. Eveyone will be getting ready for the Montreal Fur Show. Saturdays are very slow there anyway.

Linda

If you're staying in NJ. the best thing for you to do is to take the train in. NJ Transit has stations throughout Northern and Central NJ, and your hotel ought to be able to direct you to the closest one. All the NJ Transit trains will take you to Penn Station - which, conveniently enough - is located underneath Madison Square Garden. Just take the 7th Avenue exit, walk south a couple of blocks, and you'll be in the center of the fur district!

FLinFL

There is something magical about being in the fur district! You will be overwhelmed!

There are so many stores, but many are set up to wholesale. Where are a few that are on 7th Avenue that are retail.

If you can get over to SOHO, Little Italy and China Town, they are so great!! You can see them on a Manhattan map. Actually, not too far from the World Trade Center Area.

Unlike most of the US, everyone walks in New York! So, bring some good walking shoes!

Make sure you tell us about your trip!

Linda

Don't know what kind of music you like, but my favorite places in the City to see concerts are the Hammerstein Ballroom (near Madison Sq. Garden, 34th & 8th, I believe), Roseland Ballroom (52nd and 7th or thereabouts) and the Bowery Ballroom in lower Manhattan. All cool places to hang out and see some righteous rock n' roll!

FLinFL