New picture of myself

MrLynx

Did you do it yourself? That's not bad if you did.

Only a couple of constructive criticisms:

1) Color balance the background picture and the picture of your face to match each other.

2) Feather the edges of your face and the area around the collar of the coat where your face merges in. That way, that "Cut out with scissors" effect will be softened. Feathering will make the edges blend together.

The fur coat looks good on you, though.

If you can get Photoshop or GIMP for your computer, I can help you learn to do things like this for yourself.

You seem to have a real interest in this kind of work. With that kind of motivation, it is possible for you to learn fairly quickly. If you learn to do it well enough, you might even be able to get PAID to do things like this!

Besides, there are several members of this site who are far, far better Photoshoppers than I am. There is at least one person who does graphics work for a living. If you show them that you are willing to put some effort into it, I feel confident that some of them will step forward to give you some pointers!

Question for the masses:

How much interest is there in putting together some pages for the Fur Den Library project (wiki) about how to Photoshop images?

gimp and the photoshop program for some strange reason, will not install on my pc. But still i look for someone who can help bring these dreams to life.

Got a computer tech you can rely on?

I use GIMP in Linux and it will do all those things. I ues it to clean up the pictures I work on in the Gallery. Did a couple recently I loaded of introalfa's.

I haven't gotten the cut and paste routine down yet though. That's next.

OFF

If neither program will load into your computer that is indeed something you should check out. It may just be you are not loading it right, but it might be some small thing causing it. It is almost certain that for a very small amount of money that you could get it loaded and working easily.

If you do not want to do that, have a local kid load it for you. I have done that here before. They are so familiar with such things, that they can do it very quickly and easily and generally find the cause of any problem that you run into.

W

GIMP will be harder to learn but the payoff will be better. It's powerful. GIMP allows you to tweak a lot of parameters that Photoshop keeps hidden. You can compress JPEGs a lot smaller yet still have the same or better quality. You've just got to be willing to work at it. But, best of all, GIMP is free. I'd be willing to work a little harder if I didn't have to pay just to try a program.

If you are sure you download the right version of the program, you SHOULD be able to install it automatically. I have installed it on several computers with few problems at all.

Photoshop is a commercial program. You have to pay for it. Consequently, you can not install Photoshop without the serial number. Even if you have a cracked copy of Photoshop, there is no guarantee it will work.

Remember: ALL current versions of Photoshop "phone home". Every time you run the program, it connects to the internet and checks with the central computers at Adobe to see if it is a legal copy. If it is not legal, the program will refuse to run. You MUST BUY Photoshop!

But don't worry. You can get Photoshop "Lite" versions for about $70-$100 at Wal-Mart or your local software outlet. If you buy a scanner or a digital camera there are often specially packaged versions of Photoshop included in the box. The price you pay for the camera is all you have to pay to get Photoshop.

Overall, I'd say the number one thing you have to watch out for is to make sure you have administrative rights to your computer. Most versions of Windoze and Mac OS require an administrator's password to install software. If you are using a computer at school or your family's shared computer, you might not be able to install Photoshop at all unless you get permission from the person in charge of that comptuer.

Other than that, I don't know what would cause your problem installing Photoshop. What was the specific problem? SOMEBODY, on this site has got to be able to help.

Mr Lynx. Computers can be a challenge for all of us. But, one thing is for certain, it is the key to allow you to control your own fantasy, instead of hoping and wishing that someone else will do it for you.

It is your right of passage. Go for it!!

Linda

1) Sweep your computer for viruses and spyware. They can cause you so much trouble it's not funny.

2) Install any system updates and service packs that are available for your system.

3) Run a disk utility and make sure your hard drive is defragged.

4) Install Photoshop from the ORIGINAL disk that came in the package. Remember what I said about "Phoning Home"?

5) Check the amount of memory available in your system. Photo manipulation programs take a BUTT-LOAD of memory! They are MEMORY HOGS! Photoshop ESPECIALLY! When a Windoze machine starts running out of memory it can start to do all sorts of crazy things.

6) As a last resort, you can try reintalling your system. I know it's a pain in the glutes but it's something you should do every year or so, anyway. It's just good practice.

If all THAT doesn't do it, I don't KNOW what to tell you. Try to find yourself a computer wizard to help you install the program(s). Just offer to buy the guy a case of his favorite "tasty beverage" or something like that. Real computer geeks work for pride and pizza! There has GOT to be somebody in your neighborhood or in your school who will help you.

just wanted to add that I tried Gimp and it drove me crazy so I went and bought Adobe. But that was just because I was used to the way it worked and I just didn't look forward to learning everything all over again.

Starting again, you can probably learn to use Gimp as easily as Adobe. The way things are going any more though nothing at all is available for free. So likely Gimp's free days will be short lived too.

W

GIMP is GNU and, since all GNU-ware is freeware, GIMP is and always will be freeware.

When I was in college, I worked with RMS, the GNU guru. I saw GIMP when it was just a baby but I was never able to grok the GIMP until recently but I'm glad I did.

I think you're right, White Fox. It probably is easier for a total nube to grok the GIMP than to make the jump from Adobe.

GIMP is for idiots. I'm an idiot and I use GIMP so GIMP is for idiots.

As worker said, it's free an will remain so.

My OS, ubuntu, is also free. Not without a few short comings but not so much that I can't do business, use GIMP and do almost everything possible on a computer. It's big pluses are stability and virus free.

I must be an idiot since it's pretty much idiot proof

Seriously on GIMP. It looks deceptively simple. just one very small box with a bunch of command keys. How do I open this damn door

Once I figured out how to pull up the menus it was relatively easy to access the simple commands and then quickly to manipulate the tools for simple tasks which are very numerous.

My next hurdle is cut and paste commands. Haven't found the thread or key yet. :scratch head:

But I'm just an idiot without a current Instruction Manual [costs money] doing this by cut and try.

OFF

I just did an experiment with Photoshop and GIMP.

I used a very large Photoshop File. A scanned image from my scanner.

It was 5940 pixels wide by 2575 pixels tall. Full-color RGB. File Size as a Photoshop file was 43 Megabytes.

I loaded the file in Photoshop and exported it as a JPEG.

I used standard settings. Full, 100% quality. Optimization was turned ON. The file Photoshop created was 12.0 MB.

I took the same file, originally created with Photoshop, reloaded it into GIMP and re-exported it. Full, 100% quality. Optimized. Standard settings.

The file GIMP created was 9.4 MB

There was no discernable difference by looking at the pictures, even when blown up to 5 times their original size!

Now, there may be a way to get Photoshop to make smaller files but I don't know how to do it. It's not doable with the normal settings available in the "Save..." dialog boxes.

As I said, there are some REAL benefits to using GIMP if you are willing to work at it. Making files that are almost 20% SMALLER with no discernable loss of quality is a MAJOR gain!

I have little talent for photo editing and really don't have the desire to learn, but even I grabbed GIMP and can now use it - very, very tentatively - to perform minor photo editing jobs.

FLinFL

That's the beauty of it. You only need to learn as much as neccessary.

If all you want to do is crop, resize and repair photos you post on the internet, you can learn everything you need to know in about a weekend's worth of study, if you put your mind to it.

If you want to go into serious retouching and photo manipulation, you could spend a lifetime and STILL not know everything.

It's all based on what you want to get out of it and how much you're willing to put into it.