Jump to content

Anti spy ware.


wallee
 Share

Recommended Posts

...but perhaps that's owed to the three (yes 3) anti-Ad/Spyware programs that are running constantly.
from THIS POST

 

What programs are you using?

I'm using three, ad aware, spybot and windows anti- spyware and I'm still getting spyware out the wazoo.

Edited by Guest
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Let me see..... there's the scanner built into ZoneAlarm, AdAware Se, microsoft's Beta program and Spybot- Search and destroy.

 

Heat and humidity have a greater effect on my puter than spyware (fingers crossed and looking around for a solid bit of REAL timber to bash head against).

 

Programs are on when puter is turned on, and scans are done at least weekly, if not more often when can be set to be done automatically.

 

Also have set up firewall to block all pop-ups/unders and to not allow cookies from other sites other than site being viewed. (An old trick from Netscape days *grin*)

 

use Firefox as main browser... and IE only when the web site designer has been too lazy to use anything other than IE as test vehicle ooooooorrrrrr has been real lazy and used MS's own web designer.

 

Thanks to the settings, I sometimes defend folks incorrectly and have to eat hay afterwards. Ah well... c'est la vie *sigh*

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am in England and i bought the Norton stuff to load to my computer; Internet Security and Go-Back. I find it really good.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Since i use Linux [ubutnu now] i don't really seem to need spyware or anti-virus programs.

 

I do have Bug-Fix programs that i trigger regularly and the package Updates.

 

Don't get a lot of pop-up crap either.

 

A few things don't work the way they do in MS Windows [fixing those gradually] but I find they are small sacrifces for the stability, speed and the virus free envitronment I work in.

 

OFF

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am in England and i bought the Norton stuff to load to my computer; Internet Security and Go-Back. I find it really good.

 

It's funny, I used to use Norton but found that it caused more problems than it was worth (mostly with performance and programs not running properly rather than with viruses).

 

My current set up is:

 

Firewall: I connect through a router/firewall combo. I also have Windows XP firewall turned on, but that's more because Windows constantly reminds you if you have no software firewall than because I expect it to be used.

 

Anti-virus: NOD32 from Eset. A cracking piece of software (though you do have to pay for it)

 

Anti-spyware: I have Microsoft Anti-Spyware running, and periodically do a sweep with Lavasoft AdAware and Spybot.

 

I also have Windows Update on auto-detect.

 

With this setup I've never had any problems with any viruses, spyware or trojans. Is this down to my security set up? In part. But it's mainly down to my web-surfing habits: I don't visit mucky sites, and I don't partake in illegal file sharing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Very rarely do I have a problem... I use Adaware SE, MS Antispyware and a Computer Associates antispy program - don't know it's name, that's one that my employer insists we use. Between them, I've never had any issue.

 

FLinFL

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I used to use Norton but found that it caused more problems than it was worth

 

I gotta' agree with that! Norton tends to mess up more than it fixes. It makes changes to the way the system runs but it often doesn't tell the user what it's doing. Consequently, the user has no ability to accept or decline such changes. This often creates conflicts and incompatiblities with legitimate programs you want to use.

 

I use NO anti-virus programs. I use NO anti-spyware programs.

I don't think I will ever see a virus or spyware on my computer. I don't worry very much at all.

 

I avoid all Microsoft products whenever possible. That gives me 90% protectin right there. The other 10% comes from common sense... Just don't download software from sources you don't truse 100%. Don't click on links in unsolicited e-mail. Check programs before you install them to be sure they aren't Trojans.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...