Tough Love vs Spanking

FrBrGr

~ Tough Love vs. Spanking ~

(a psychological conundrum)

Most of the world's populace thinks it improper to spank children, so I have tried other methods to control my kids when they have one of "those moments."

One that I found effective is for me to just take the child for a car ride and talk.

They usually calm down and stop misbehaving after our car ride together.

I've attached a photo of one of my sessions with my son, in case you would like to use the technique.

alternativepf9.th.jpg

When I was a kid and I misbehaved the only thing I could count on was the sound of a leather belt clearing belt loops!

There's nothing wrong with PADDLING a kid but I also see too many parents who go to far.

I knew a magic dealer (playing cards, coins, magician's supplies, etc.) who I used to buy ALL my stuff from. One day I was out at a concert and saw him there with his kids. One of them mouthed-off and he hauled off and *HIT* the kid so hard it knocked him down!

He INSTANTLY lost my business! I never spoke to the guy again. That was over 10 years ago!

Worker,

I grew up in a family that believed if your children were not "spanked", it was because the parents did not care enough to teach the child discipline and self-control.

I do agree with this.

What I don't agree with, and I hear in your story, is "spanking" is not "beating" or "attacking." I agree!!

Linda

What a great picture FrBrGr! *giggles*

My Mom and dad raised me the same as Workers. Mouth off too much, or do something that I knew that I wasn't supposed to be doing, and *THWIP THWIP THWIP THWIP* and then *SNAP!* when my dad looped the belt and snapped it, then one swat for every year old I was.

It wasn't the most pleasant punishment, but it put me on the straight and narrow really quick when I was being rotten.

My Mom never bothered with the belt, she had her wooden spoon, which hurt in a whole different way.

In both cases, we talked about it afterwards, and I knew they still loved me, and that they gave me my licks because they loved me.

These days, it's getting rare in some places for parents to pay any attention at all, good OR bad to their kids, and parents have been told that spanking their kid is traumatizing or wrong.

I think the people who believe that, need a good spanking themselves, it might put some sense in them!

Definitely agree with Worker about spanking vs. beating too. Punching, pounding, or clobbering your kid isn't the same. I know that from my Japanese Grandma. She was pretty fond of just knocking me over the skull with her knuckle when I was bad. Ouch! It just made me scared to death of Grandma.

• 2 weeks later...

as i grow that bit older, the only spanking i wouldnt say no to is the female wearing fur with the whip in hand teaching me to be obedient

I've got nothing against spanking, per se.

If a child is repeatedly disobedient, hurts somebody else or is doing something dangerous a spanking may be called for.

For instance, when I was young, touching guns without permission was a spanking offense with no appeal. I'm not just talking about my father, either. My mother would apply the punishment just as swiftly. Simply put, kids should NOT be touching guns without an adult present and giving direct, close supervision. In such a case, I agree with spanking as a punishment whole heartedly.

But, if a kid is just crying or generally misbehaving I believe there are better, more effective punishments, depending on the situation. Taking away computers or TVs and video games for a week can be a very effective punishment for today's kids!

On the other hand, if a young kid runs out into the street, even after being told that it is dangerous, paddling may be the most effective way to punish.

And, when paddling the goal is to make the punishment more unpleasant than the offense. You take the child over your knee and paddle his behind... NOT whacking him until he has bruises on his ass!

There is a difference!