this is a shame: destruction of fur

leopards00

http://leopardcharity.com/

its like, if you ask me, cutting apart a fine work of art. Perhaps all wont feel this way, but I think if they wanted to raise money for the charity: it would be better to sell ( which is legal there in Russia) the coat in its entirety.

Furthermore: the chinese leopard has higher #s than they state, the Amur Leopard is what the ugly woman is probably thinking of.

Im sure some peta freaks will gladly fork out $$ for this..... what a shame.

thats an antique piece of art if you ask me.

This is evil. Such waste is unforgiveable. Imagine if we lost all leoprads to some disease. A pelt could provide dna to bring them back, or help the gene pool. That is criminal.

I'll buy a piece of that coat if they plow under 10,000 acres of coffee plantation first!

More leopards died through loss of habitat due to the proliferation of coffee plantations than EVER harvested for the manufacture of 100 fur coats!

Besides! If they REALLY want to do some good the coat should be left intact so that it can be held up as an example of what they stand for! The way THEY are doing it, they put themselves out of business when the coat is all gone.

Why kill the cow to eat its meat when you can have milk and butter for years to come?

Leopards are my fave animal.. I love them, seen them in the wild, its a religious experience for me... almost as much as it is for me to see a woman wrap herself in its fur....

the comment above regarding habitat destruction is RIGHT on. Leopards are VERY adaptable and have rebounded amazingly in areas where they have habitat; ie subsaharan africa.

Its like the ugly woman is cutting apart the mona lisa... that fur is magic and it sickens me to see this.... I wnat to cry.....

But instead I posted 40 pics for you all to enjoy ....various stuff. enjoy.

A warm welcome leopards; well said. Also worker.

A fine job the world has done of protecting big cats since they haven't been used for furs.

Plantations and agricultural change is waht will wipe them out forevr while the sanctomonious sit back and drink latte thinking how enlightened they are.

I want the dali lamas head on a sharp stick if the snowleopard becomes extinct.

Oh! By the way, leopards00...

Those are some DAMN FINE pics you posted to the gallery!

Doing my job keeping the pictures orgainized in the gallery is a LOT more fun when there are pictures like yours!

Whilst I have never understood the desireability of leopard apart from the striking markings...the furs that I have experienced were not on the soft side at all, I totally agree that this is a waste and should never be condoned. What is done is done, and hopefully the species will rebound fully so that it may be used responsibly once again for those who so desire. That is the goal to work toward in my view.

Indeed lynxette. I am not keen on the touch of leopard eother; but LOVE the dyed leopard markings on soft moutons.

But yes the protection of it from the fur trade has not helped it one bit.

You know, these people might have their hearts in the right places but they SURE have their heads up their collective asses!

I can understand how they feel an emotional bond with animals. I don't agree how they INTERPRET that bond but I understand it. If they don't want to kill animals, it is their right to have their beliefs.

And, just for the sake of debate, I'll stipulate to that belief. Okay... You shouldn't kill animals.

But here's the problem: With every turn of the ignition key in their SUV they kill MORE animals than they could EVER hope to save by banning fur.

Every time they drink another cup of imported gourmet coffee they encourage more and more habitat destruction. Not only do they displace or even KILL animals every time another acre of land is turned into a factory farm but they PREVENT the births of untold hundreds and THOUSANDS of new animals that WOULD HAVE been born if that land had not been destroyed.

Every time they drive their gas guzzling cars to the corner store when they didn't have to they pollute the environment, increase the demand for oil and create the need for more and more manufacturing capacity just to support their habits. Each time they start that engine, more animals are killed, displaced or prevented than a fur farmer could ever kill in a lifetime.

I don't see how that kind of blind belief in an ersatz cause such as "animal rights" can stand up in the face of the death and destruction Man perpetrates on animals on a daily basis!

You would have to be barking mad to actually believe that saving a few furry little creatures advances the cause of "animal rights" when your very actions KILL a million times more animals every day!

Just because you don't have to actuall SEE the animals killed doesn't mean they don't die. But, NO! As long as those people can continue with their happy little "Kum-Ba-Yah" delusions they feel justified in their cause.

They are in dire need of psyhological help!

Hey! If people from the website are watching this, I have a BETTER idea for you! Listen! I'm giving you my best stuff for free, here! Pay attention!

Go find yourself a captive-bred leopard and hang that coat up above its enclosure for all to see. Put up a big sign that says:

Don't let this leopard get turned into another fur coat! Donate your money here!

Take all that money people donate and use it to buy up virgin rain forrest in South America or some other place in the world that's under attack from habitat destruction. When you have about 10,000 acres of land in your portfolio, deed it to a trust, in perpetuity, with the condition that the land never be developed.

You'll save a ZILLION more animals that way!

Besides! You'll get a LOT more money!

What's that coat worth? $25,000?? $50,000?? I guarantee you won't make that much money if you cut it up! Do it my way and you could make MILLIONS!

Don't kill the cow!

Having read the website explanation, this appears to me that they are simply into making a quick buck, praying on those who have a genuine regard for the welfare of endangered species.

If someone was opposed to the fact that the animals fur was used to make a coat, why would they then want to own a piece of said fur?

They claim that you are buying a piece of DNA of the animal, but surely not all people have the knowledge or kit to make use of this DNA?

Yes, I agree with their point of view on lookling after wild animals, and welfare of those in captivity, but as Touch of Sable explains, farmers - for meat or fur or otherwise - are completely devoted to the welfare of their live stock as after all it is their livelyhood if nothing else.

Some people just need to get a grip, and get in touch with reality.

I hope that no one gets fleeced (no pun) by this charity with dubious morals.

999 xxx

the leopard you folks are refering to that doesnt have a nice feel is definately the more temperate climate species: africa SE asia.... this partcular species and the Amur Leopard are much thicker and softer: not as much as snow leopard or lynx: but closer to them than their warmer climate species.

and they are so rare...

again this makes me sick because of the fact this particular coat is so rare... and so beautiful.

This is clearly a cowboy organisation tapping into people for money. like so many of them.

Well it IS possible to get CITES approval in certain cases for leopard skin.

The wildlife management of "benign" game parks in Africa has had disatrous consequences for cheetah. leopards and lions, flourishing and not endangered there, are preying on cheetah cubs pushing the cheetah to the brink of extinction.

They will not like this, but on game reserves in south africa, the hunters have to pay $20 000 to kill a leopard. This brings much needed revenue for conservation work, and for native trackers, guides and craftsmen. The reult?

THE CHEETAH IS THRIVING IN THOSE GAME PARKS.

The WWF have realised now that such incentive conservation works, and while they are reluctant to advertise it, have no alternative but to follow the lead:

http://www.panda.org/about_wwf/where_we_work/africa/where/cameroon/news/index.cfm?uNewsID=14073

and the same in the Evenk region of Siberia withe sable and traditional use (which includes furs for trade):

http://www.panda.org/about_wwf/where_we_work/europe/news/index.cfm?uNewsID=13895

In the face of extreme ignorance and the seamroller of animal rights philiosophy the conservationists are at last speaking out.

HUNTING PROTECTS ANIMAL HABITATS IN ALL ITS RESPONSIBLE MANIFSTATIONS PERIOD:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/6091848.stm

Very important everyone here read that last link.

the facrt of the matter, like it or not : is the existance of animals is based on economic viability. If they are worth $$, they will be preserved.

Hunting in Africa has always braught in big bucks, but now photographic safaris have taken off and are bringing in a low impact way of getting $$ , completely sustainable with relatively no work.

If you look at the canadian arctic: trappers flourish, animals abound.. this can all change with the coming of diamond mines which strip the land, uranium mines, and gold mines. the chemicals used and dumped aside from the stripping of the land have a far more profound effect on the land than some trappers.

Whats funny (in a sad way) is this Peta chick I know that flaunts her big diamond ring she has.... just makes me shake my head.

Whats funny (in a sad way) is this Peta chick I know that flaunts her big diamond ring she has.... just makes me shake my head.

The diamond industry is one of THE MOST CORRUPT businesses in the world. Not only does the DeBeers cartel control most of the diamond trade, the government of Sierra Leone (the place where the most diamonds are mined) funnels money from black market diamonds into its coffers and uses its military to opress its own population, keeping them poor and powerless so that they can be forced, through poverty and coercion, to work in the diamond mines. That's why they call them "Blood Diamonds". Virtually ALL diamonds from Sierra Leone are blood diamonds. With the sophistocation of the black market trade in that area, there is NO way to tell if the diamonds are bloody or not.

Like leopard00 said, the gold mining industry is one of the top 5 polluters in the world, along with pulp mills, photography, petrochemicals and semiconductors.

Gold mining uses CYANIDE to extract the metal from the ore. Cyanide-laced sludge is left behind in large pools of poison that destroy the enviromnent for YEARS to come.

Buy a diamond ring? Kill a poor, starving family in Africa!

Buy gold? Poisin the environment and kill 100 times more animals than it takes to make fur coat!

But the difference is that diamonds and gold aren't "cute and furry"!

There's nothing I can add to what you guys are saying. you've said it all. Well said all

The shame is that it's only the converted who are seing it here, and the unconverted probably wont believe it anyway. If they were blind , they probably wouldnt even believe in sunrises.

A bit of good news is that most, if not all, diamonds used for industrial purposes are all manufactured. They can't/won't deal with the cartels for them. The actual tonage exceeds by a wide margin diamonds for ornament.

Most gold not held in stock anymore is used for industrial purposes. Circuit boards, electrical connections and such. It far exceeeds personal adornement now. Not that it has had any impact on pollution yet but it is beginning to put pressure on mining in this country.

OFF

Show this to the PETA girl with the diamond ring leopard.

http://www.survival-international.org/tribes.php?tribe_id=11

On the upside the bushmen have now WON back their rights to hunt and return to their lands.

Here you can clearly see global corporations and third world development Versus traditional hunting and animal/fur economies. No wonder PETA etc get such big donations from global industry. Look up any tribe on the survival website; its the same story.

Question guys: I know that snow leopard is currently on the endangered species list, and rightfully so unfortunately, but does anyone know if it has ever been used in making fur coats...and if so has anyone seen and/or experienced same?

I have a favourite picture of my snow kitties above my bed, and even in the painting the fur looks to be rather like lynx. I would imagine with the larger skins it would make an absolutely lucious fur coat.

The shame is that it's only the converted who are seing it here...

There are two main things that you can do about that.

First, use the information here as a starting point for your own reading/research. Learn as much as you can about animal management. Make it part of you. Grok it.

Second, learn to laugh. Laugh the way "Jabba the Hutt" laughs in the movie, STAR WARS... "Oh-ho-ho-HO!"... As if to say, "You silly little people entertain me so much!"

When you come up against one of those little bunny huggers in real life, LAUGH at them! Laugh real good then turn around as if to walk away. They will try to follow you. It's a sure bet! When they do, YOU HAVE THEM! They will try to spout off all their garbage to you. Don't listen. Just cut them off in mid-sentence. Look them right in the eye and say, "They've got drugs that will cure that!" You've got them back on their heels. It's time to move in for the kill... Pound your fist on the table and look them DIRECTLY in the eye.

"Do you know how many animals you killed with that cup of coffee?!"

"Do you know how much pollution that gold ring on your finger caused?!"

"Do you know how many poor, starving Africans it took to dig that diamond out of the ground?!"

I know this sounds harsh and demeaning but these people need to be cut down to size before they will realize that they are spouting nothing but empty rhetoric. You've really got to stick it to them before they will understand.

But the final blow is when you laugh at them and turn around and walk away.

Question guys: I know that snow leopard is currently on the endangered species list, and rightfully so unfortunately, but does anyone know if it has ever been used in making fur coats...and if so has anyone seen and/or experienced same?

I have a favourite picture of my snow kitties above my bed, and even in the painting the fur looks to be rather like lynx. I would imagine with the larger skins it would make an absolutely lucious fur coat.

the answer is yes, they have been made into coats, but have never touched it. from the look it is in between the asian or amur leopard and the belly fur of russian lynx.. Ive heard its really soft....

Part of the fixation for me with leopards on a whole is the optical stimulation, no doubt, as well as the fact they are the most dangerous/ ferocious animal that is used for women to snuggle into.. and women seem to really desire leopard from all I have seen and known.... Im lucky I have a g/f with as big a leopard fetish as I have...

Very good to know that they have been used for fur in the past, and so it gives me hope that they could be one day again...and the sooner the better. Wolf was on the endangered list of a whilein the 60's and 70's, hence the use of coyote instead. No offence to coyote (my first coat btw ), but I am glad wolf is again available and it is not too farfetched that snow leaopard and other could be too.

there is a great pic of a snow leopard coat floating around on the web: I used to have it, dont anymore.. Im sure somebody has it here..... its rather stunning.

the snow leopard has been under protection for 30 years. Only the odd legal one or poached one becomes available. without CITES validation it would mean imprisonment in most countries to own one.

It is not even as nicxe as fox for me, though the markings are beautiful. Howver I did see an incredible one once in Prague. Truly stunning, and much thiker than normal. Then I looked closer. it wqas fox dyed to look like snowleopard. It was very difficult to tell the difference but it was ceratinly better.

Now the snow leopard , despite being protected , is dropping in number all the ime. Yes there is some poaching; but it is absurd and irresponsible to cite this as the erason for the decline. For thousands of years it was hunted fo fur and no problems. So why now the problem? Habitat change. The fact that the region now has some intensive farming, a change in use from hunting to goat farming, and also the making of millions of items of rubbish hippy clothes in the region is the real reason the snow leopard is declining.