Winterlude!

Dappleboy

well some of you may have heard of it. winterlude is the annual celebration of winter in canada's capital city of ottawa. well over a million people flock to our fair city each year to skate on the rideau canal, the world's longest skating rink. what better place to observe winter clothing at its best! today was the temperature was -25 degrees centigrade. out on the canal i saw multitudes of minks, racoons, sheared beavers, coyotes and foxes, as well as many furry accesories. we may be a small city, but on the right day, and if you know where to look, the fur lovers are out and about flaunting their furs. within the first half hour of walking around downtown today, i counted 17 furs. i was out for five hours...that adds up.

so next year, if you're looking for a location for a furry vacation, why not check out winterlude?

Great event, lots of furs, and held in what is in my somewhat biased opinion in one of the most beautiful capital cities in the world...and yes, I have actually been to a few others.

It must really wind up the antis when they are faced with the indisputable fact that Canada, with its fur trade, have the finest untouched conserved wilderness. With its native influences, and hunting/fur culture it is a testimony to the success of Incentive Consevation.

So yep go Canada wear your furs with pride and let the world know that you are doing more to conserve the wilderness than anyone.

Just as a little factoid, but the Canadian seal and coat of arms feature a beaver, which is symbolic of the fur trade to Canada's economy and history.

Sounds great, Dappleboy. You'll have to post advance notice of this event in a few years' time. In fact, do we have a calendar of such events anywhere on the site?

How long does the Winterlude last?

Another great thought for the Library. We do have a spot for travel info on some of the big cities of the world. We could have an area there for this. If anyone has time, feel free to go ahead.

well, for future reference, winterlude is usually held for two weeks, beginning in the second week of february. as for lynxette's comment about ottawa being a beautiful capital...... we may have a couple nice old buildings, but i wouldnt call it beautiful. normally i have a lot of hometown pride, but i think there are tens of capital cities out there that look a lot better than ottawa lol.

No way! It is exactly because of our old buildings that it is so beautiful. Did I mention that I am a big fan of gothic and neo-gothic architecture though? This could explain my affinity as well as patriotism can.

Dappleboy,

Sounds like you're talking yrself into a job as a furry tour guide!

Is there any skiing around Ottowa? Excuse my ignorance, but Ive never been to Canada, but have always wnted to ski there, and could maybe combine a trip next year.

999 xxx

lynxette: is there any other kind of tour better than personaly guided? (unfortunately we lost our renegades 2 seasons ago)

fur999: there is tons of skiing around ottawa. the best known location is in the adjacent gatineau hills across the river, known as mont tremblant. there are something like 25 ski destinations around the capital all within a 20-30 minute drive from downtown believe it or not.

Lynxette,

I have to stop you here. You guys are talking about something I happened to know very much. Tour guide. Imagine this, my job is tour guide. I am a north america tour leader! True, I travel arround Canada and USA as a tour guide. Not just a city tour guide, a real long term travel tour guide. So if you ever want to have a city tour of Ottawa or the surroundings, you let me know! Of course that goes for everyone too!

Sorry Dappleboy, I dont want to take something of yours, its just that I know this subject very well, thats all.

Have a good week,

furslave

(I'm leaving for a week for a tour in Qu