Moscow cool to anti-fur plea

kuma

Very interesting article I thought I might pass along:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/02/11/MNG7VO2LS21.DTL&feed=rss.news

"For a Russian woman, fur is not only fashionable, it's necessary," said Helen Yarmak, one of Russia's top fur designers, who has salons in Moscow and New York. "When it is as cold as it is here, people really need fur."

After the warmest January on record, winter finally arrived in Moscow this month as temperatures plunged below minus-15 degrees. The streets are crowded with women and men in fur coats and hats.

"How else are you going to keep warm in this weather?" asked 29-year-old Nadya Ivanova, wrapped in a brown mink coat.

Ivanova said she doubted anyone would turn up Monday to hand in their furs. "Every young Russian girl dreams of getting her first fur coat. She's not just going to give it away," she said.

Accompanying Picture:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/object/article?f=/c/a/2007/02/11/MNG7VO2LS21.DTL&o=0

- Kuma

When I was in Saint Petersburg a couple of years ago, I was asked by our guide where I could wear my furs (I was wearing a f/l coyote at the time) in North America. I was puzzled at the question at first, until she explained that she thought that because of PETA et al, it was far to dangerous to be seen in public with a fur on. I said no, that was exaggerated in the news media, and that she should not believe everything she heard. My point here is that what she said next was very close to what the lady stated in this article...about furs being a necessity in Russia, etc. I said they are iin Canada of course as well, and in much of America too.

We had an article in one of our local newspapers last week (the Guardian) on page 2 about the activities of VITA (similar to PETA) and trying to persuade Russian women not to wear fur, so obviously some political shoving to get this all up and running in the papers recently. Its good to see people knocking it back.

Do we have the article about the research done in Russia why a fur coat is warmer than other materials - was this one of your finds TOS?

If so, should it be in the Library, couldn't find it...

Auzmink.

I don't believe that one is in there. If someone can find it, it is easy to enter it, or we can help. Or you can enter it as well. We can make the page for you, and then all you need to do is to just type it leaving a space between each paragraph, and do not leave spaces at the beginning of any line. Then, we can decorate it a bit.

J

Based upon what I know of russian women, and the number of furs I have seen there, the chances of any organisation achieving the goal of no furs in Russia is in for a very cold reception indeed...and rightfully so.

• 3 months later...

For We Russian Women Fur Is A Way Of Life, the only thing that will change in Russia Is The Quality Of Fur Worn As The Middle Class Increases.

And if one has the knowledge of where to shop and the right connections, a lot of very good deals can be had there as well. I say this because the tour guides will always try to steer the foreigners towards the higher end furriers as opposed to where the more average Russian gets her furs from.