A question for all members.

White Fox

We like to keep all of you involved in this place and how it is made up.

Now then, I have an idea that there are going to be two very different ideas on this and we cannot I am sure satisfy everyone, but we will certainly consider everyone's thought on this.

We have had a number of suggestions that we should have a "Welcome Forum" here. You have all seen the messages that we try to give to new members. Possibly in many if not most cases this would be done there. It would be a way to answer questions of new members. It would be a way to point out certain features of the site to a specific new member. And it would be a way to generally say "Welcome" here.

We would like to know your thoughts. Awhile back we received feedback from members that they thought that there were already too many forums here. On the other hand I think you can see the benefits from the description above.

If we did this it would be "Welcome only". We would need to work on the rules for it, but basically they would say that only a few first posts of welcome and simple questions about how th is site works would be allowed there. We might for instance have info for new members about "Messages" on our site and how they work. This would NOT be a replacement for FAQ though.

Looking forward to hearing from all of you. Let's keep this discussion going for 4 days maybe? Then the mods will consider it and get back to you.

White Fox

Administrator

Thanks White Fox and whoever might have taken part in envisioning this new forum!

That being said, I feel skeptical and maybe confused. Have new members often felt overwhelmed and not adequately noticed or nurtured jumping cold turkey into the fur den? That certainly wasn't my experience. I also wonder if this would create a little visited province off the beaten track to main attractions intended to ease new members that way anyway.

I also wonder if I might miss out on important information because I didn't visit the welcome tent in time.

I don't mean to shoot it down; it may be at this time I'm not getting the complete vision of what's intended. Maybe with more perspectives on it the need for it and the effectiveness of fulfilling that need will become plainer.

Ciaio!

Guy, what you brought up is pretty much what our concerns are. It would though only have "Welcome related" messages allowed there.

The advantage is that this might allow us to try to work on ways to convince those folk out there in no man's land who are members but do not post to come on in and have fun. But, I think you hit the problems pretty much on the head.

Any thoughts anyone else? Come on now. Some more of you must have ideas on this. Do not be afraid to shoot this idea down if you do not think it will work! Or you can talk it up if you like it. We can really use your ideas here folks.

White

As a new member I will share that it was scarry jumping in. I did feel a bit confused at first (there appeared to me to be too many forums. I am new to online forums so it might be my inexperience). i did not know where to start. Honestly, that being said I feel that a welcome room might add to my confusion and delay my enty into other forums.

i will also say that I did feel very welcome!! As a new guy I think the way it is now is better. that is my 2 cents (or pence).

White Fox,

First let me say that I love what you're trying to do. The mark of any great community is one where the members are asked their opinions and those opinions are considered by the decision makers.

On this one though, I can only go by my experience as a new member- it simply couldn't be better. I have been warmly welcomed, and feel comfortable with the site and its members. So my opinion is that if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Many thanks,

Humilme

I think a welcome forum is a great idea. Just because somethng is tried out does not necessarily mena that it has to stay in the same format, etc. There have been many such changes here since I have been a participant, and whilst some worked, others did not. Not sure what the objection could be about having too many forums, unless it is participation concern...but that is something that can be a wait-and-see.