Coming up on a Big 10

frugalfurguy

It's now less than two months till I get to celebrate 10 years since I divorced my car (I mean the date I sold the car I owned--or that owned me--not that I haven't ridden in a car since). You hear of folks that are social drinkers. I'm largely a social automotive rider. Most of those times I've gotten into a car since my divorce from one it's been because that's a convenient way to be with somebody, not because I really needed the ride of myself.

I believe it's been something of an achievement. I don't live in New York or San Francisco or Portland, US cities whose transit systems and street layout make car-free living relatively simple. I live in a city that worships fast cars and fast food--enough so that they get stuck in traffic headed to the drive in. Meantime I'm pedaling down the side to fetch my whole-wheat flour or walking downtown to farmers' market. I prefer bikes and slow food!

I dismissed my car between Bush I's Gulf War and Bush II's invasion and occupation. I ditched my car in part to object to such actions. As usual I was outvoted. But I intend to keep voting my values in my daily pedaling.

I also intended it as a vote against more sprawl development. During the almost five years I've worked my current job, there've been a few orchards to pedal through still between the city I live in and the city I work in. But that little green belt's become increasingly thin as more've been chopped down to make room for driveways, streets and parking lots. Once again, I've been outvoted.

One less car! Here's to another 10 years!

frugalfurguy

That's awesome!

You really ARE the frugalfurguy!

Where I live I couldn't make it to work without a car, or at least it would be a LOT more difficult. But, on the upside, I make sure I drive a car that gets more than 20 miles per gallon. (In the summer when I tune it up right, I get almost 30... IN TOWN.)

Even though I can't do without a car, there is ONE thing that I haven't missed in over 8 years... CABLE T.V.!

Don't want it. Don't need it. Don't miss it!

It wasn't until the World Trade Center was bombed that I even OWNED a T.V. I only bought one because I wanted to be sure I could get the news in case of more disasters. The one I have is a 20" tabletop model. With "rabbit ear" antenna.

My wife and I watch about 1-2 hours of T.V. in the evening before going to bed. That's it!

There is ONE thing I probably couldn't live without... The COMPUTER!

Congradulations.

I haven't gotten rid of my car. My 'job' won't let me.

However I opened my ofice a block from my house and days go by without my driving.

OFF

Great, Worker! Rabbit ears on a TV's sure rare any more. For me DSL doubles as my cable. Your choice sounds frugal of time. I get so much over the internet to distract me, I don't know how I'd fit in the time for cable viewing.

And OFF, good to hear I've got company at least of car-lite folks here.

frugalfurguy

That's awesome!

It wasn't until the World Trade Center was bombed that I even OWNED a T.V. I only bought one because I wanted to be sure I could get the news in case of more disasters. The one I have is a 20" tabletop model. With "rabbit ear" antenna.

There is ONE thing I probably couldn't live without... The COMPUTER!

When I lived with my Mom, we gave up having a tv, I've been in my bungalow now for 13 yrs and still don't have one, have HiFi, have analogue radio, have books.

Like Worker, I couldn't be without my PC. My life is on it, what a sad indictment. It gets turned immediately after the radio when I get up, and is the last thing to be turned off at night.

Unfortunately I do not live in an area that I can do without a car, but I do have a Lexus hybrid, and I love it. Just a little way toward saving the world I hope. What is really facinating is that the more in town driving one does, the better the fuel economy is. Talk about inverse relationships.

Hey, Tryxie, good to hear from another TV-free user here.

Lynxette, I know a hybrid driver or two but I'd be very surprised to meet up with them here so glad to have you along in their place!

frugalfurguy