So, you think you know everything?

ReFur

Another email to share:

SO YOU THINK YOU KNOW EVERYTHING? -- HOW MANY DO YOU KNOW??????

"Stewardesses" is the longest word typed with only the left hand and "lollipop" with your right. (Bet you tried this out mentally, didn't you?)

No word in the English language rhymes with month, orange, silver, or purple.

"Dreamt" is the only English word that ends in the letters "mt". (Are you doubting this?)

Our eyes are always the same size from birth, but our nose and ears never stop growing.

The sentence: "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" uses every letter of the alphabet. (Now, you KNOW you're going to try this out for accuracy, right?)

The words 'racecar,' 'kayak' and 'level' are the same whether they are read left to right or right to left (palindromes). (Yep, I knew you were going to "do" this one.)

There are only four words in the English language which end in "dous": tremendous, horrendous, stupendous, and hazardous. (You're not doubting this, are you?)

There are two words in the English language that have all five vowels in order: "abstemious" and "facetious." (Yes, admit it, you are going to say . a e i o u)

TYPEWRITER is the longest word that can be made using the letters only on one row of the keyboard. (All you typists are going to test this out)

A cat has 32 muscles in each ear

A goldfish has a memory span of three seconds. (Some days that's about what my memory span is)

A "jiffy" is an actual unit of time for 1/100th of a second.

A shark is the only fish that can blink with both eyes.

A snail can sleep for three years. (I know some people that could do this too.)

Almonds are a member of the peach family.

An ostrich's eye is bigger than its brain.

Babies are born without kneecaps They don't appear until the child reaches 2 to 6 years of age.

February 1865 is the only month in recorded history not to have a full moon.

In the last 4,000 years, no new animals have been domesticated.

If the population of China walked past you, 8 abreast, the line would never end because of the rate of reproduction.

Leonardo Da Vinci invented the scissors.

Peanuts are one of the ingredients of dynamite!

Rubber bands last longer when refrigerated.

The average person's left hand does 56% of the typing.

The cruise liner, QE2, moves only six inches for each gallon of diesel that it burns.

The microwave was invented after a researcher walked by a radar tube and a chocolate bar melted in his pocket. (Good thing he did that)

The winter of 1932 was so cold that Niagara Falls froze completely solid.

There are more chickens than people in the world.

Winston Churchill was born in a ladies' room during a dance.

Women blink nearly twice as much as men.

Now you know everything!

Nice post, Linda - but I think I can top that palindrome with this:

T Eliot, top bard, notes putrid tang emanating: is sad. I'd assign it a name: gnat dirt upset on drab pot toilet.

Try that one for size folks!!

Linda,

Er sorry but no - at least not according to the mighty QI.

I think there is a longer word than "TYPEWRITER" that can be written out of one row of a keyboard - but I can't recall what it is. (I think it's a herb or plant; something "-wort" or -"wirt").

Goldfish have a memory-span of at least three months, can distinguish between shapes, colours and sounds and can be trained.

Plenty more myths debunked in the QI website, programme and book!

Regards,

Mr Mockle

Thank you, Mr Mockle.

I am going to have to add a disclaimer when I post my friends emails.

I skim them, ...laugh ...and then VERY rarely will pass them on to you guys..

It is obvious some of you spend much more time on them than I do.

Hope they bring some humor to your day.

Linda

Another email to share:

SO YOU THINK YOU KNOW EVERYTHING? -- HOW MANY DO YOU KNOW??????

"Stewardesses" is the longest word typed with only the left hand and "lollipop" with your right. (Bet you tried this out mentally, didn't you?)

What if you don't use the "QWERTY" style layout.

No word in the English language rhymes with month, orange, silver, or purple.

In sound, yes, but miniver (nickname for white squirrel fur, and white ermine without the tails) shares the last three letters with silver, and nipple (preferably covered by a bikini of miniver ) shares the last three letters with purple.

"Dreamt" is the only English word that ends in the letters "mt". (Are you doubting this?)

If only there was a last letter dictionary. I've always thought that would be helpful if there were words you were looking for that way.

Our eyes are always the same size from birth, but our nose and ears never stop growing.

Of course eyes do grow from bith in anime. again

The sentence: "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" uses every letter of the alphabet. (Now, you KNOW you're going to try this out for accuracy, right?)

I've known that one for years. In fact, it's the test sentence to show off fonts in Windows (I can't vouch for other OS). Yet it isn't the only sentence that does that.

The words 'racecar,' 'kayak' and 'level' are the same whether they are read left to right or right to left (palindromes). (Yep, I knew you were going to "do" this one.)

Yet the word "palindrome" isn't one. yet again

There are only four words in the English language which end in "dous": tremendous, horrendous, stupendous, and hazardous. (You're not doubting this, are you?)

See my comment about "dreamt".

There are two words in the English language that have all five vowels in order: "abstemious" and "facetious." (Yes, admit it, you are going to say . a e i o u)

No, I was going to say "A, e, i, o, u, and sometimes y."

A goldfish has a memory span of three seconds. (Some days that's about what my memory span is)

That girl from Finding Nemo was not a goldfish. Talk about innacurate. or course

Babies are born without kneecaps They don't appear until the child reaches 2 to 6 years of age.

If there isn't an episode of Family Guy where Stewie screws with the mob, but they can't touch him because he has no kneecaps to bust, there should be.

If the population of China walked past you, 8 abreast, the line would never end because of the rate of reproduction.

That depends on how fast they are walking. I'm assuming normal walking speed, and assuming the rate of reproduction is constant, not to mention the people at the end of the line have to have sex and send their kids to the start of it as soon as they are the age of consent.

The average person's left hand does 56% of the typing.

Hmm. Does that take into account using a mouse or not?

The cruise liner, QE2, moves only six inches for each gallon of diesel that it burns.

Insert SUV's having worse mileage than that joke here.

Those about all the ones I care to comment on.

Hell, he had to! When he cut one guy's picture out of the Last supper to put Mary in there!

Sorry folks, but I just could not resist. For those of you who do not know what I am talking about, read the Da Vinci Code.

J

Hell, he had to! When he cut one guy's picture out of the Last supper to put Mary in there!

Sorry folks, but I just could not resist. For those of you who do not know what I am talking about, read the Da Vinci Code.

J

Reminds me of that old gag: What did Jesus say to his apostles / disciples at the Last Supper?

"get on this side of the table if you want to be in the picture!"

Get stuck without the right tool so you invent the tool to get the job done? For most of us who do that, it's simply foolishness.

Sometimes it has to wait for a real genius to come along.

Rest of us are stuck pottering our lives away. But tinkering sure is fun!