An article: fur no longer dead?

Joe

http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/wb/wb/xp-42116

I want to meet these girls...I don't know many that age who are into fur, other than those hideous rabbit-fur boots or the obnoxious faux trim on the hoods of those fitted winter jackets. I did see a teenage girl last night wearing an absolutely enormous coyote hat. Promising...we shall see what the winter brings.

J.

Yes I think that there is not the objection to it that there was in the 90s. However we have to reducate ourselves to get used to saving for quality garments in many ways. The lack of fur we see is several fold:

1.Overheated malls/worplaces.

2.Carrot consumerism....young people in particular like a reward fix weekly so blow $100 or something on crappy disposable clothes wherears if they saved they could afford that elusive first fur or a couture item.

3.The absurd notions of body shape and fur making a girl look bigger is still there because the masses no longer look to the catwalks for inspiration ; that is partly to do with conformity, and partly to do with the propaganda of the mass fashion industry that couture is unreal. If only some of these girls would look in the mirror before they truss themselves up in a crappy tight fiting coat which does not have any sense of flow, shape or drapery. Lumps springs to mind.

But things indeed must change. In this time of attention to the fact that consumerist waste has damaged the planet , things HAVE to change...particularly with regard to synthetics. My feeling is that within 5 years that will be a dirty word.

Wow! That is a great article. Seems like we are getting there, but not quite there yet?

TOS, you brought up some very good points! The two that hit me were the "mall syndrome," and the "body image." For the first, I agree that for an average shopper that hot, stuffy, malls don't really make for "Hmmm, I want a FUR" moments. Which makes for lack of "enthusiasm" towards a purchase, or trying on of them if a store carrying furs exists in the mall. And to the second, it seems too many girls often fall into that trap. It doesn't just include fur either. Just trust me from some experience.

I think fur is going to come on BIG in 2007. Whether it be comfy casual or FTW(for explanation, PM me don't think WF or others would allow me to print that here , I want gorgeous fur and I don't care what anyone thinks

Kyle

Yes this is a really great article Joe, thank you for sharing it. I have thoughts on two, well, maybe three points. Firstly, one of the reasons that fur may be gaining popularity among the younger crowd is that more and more furs are being manufactured in Asia, which is keeping the prices down. This is especially true on the so called "fun furs" mentioned in the article, There are at least two down sides to this. One is the prices of better quality furs are tending to rise as the skin market tightens, and two, the top quality Norht American fur manufactures are struggling to stay in business.

Point two is boy am I glad I never got that memo stating that furs are stodgy and only for women over 50. I still would have a very long time to wait to get my first fur coat if that were the case, and I would have froze to death long before hand.

Point three...hmmmm, there was a point three when I started this post, but oh well, as so often happens when I write, the mind works faster than the fingers.

Carrot consumerism....young people in particular like a reward fix weekly so blow $100 or something on crappy disposable clothes wherears if they saved they could afford that elusive first fur

Another reason TOS is that in the Uk a young person will think nothing of blowing up to

Joe,

Great article, the tide is indeed turning. Now, can we persuade shopping malls to turn the heating off to save power and energy?

'Friday if Fur day when we tunr the heating off and help the Earth - come in your fur and save the planet'! Sounds good huh!

Auzmink

Grazie!

Auz, you're brilliant.. I'll call Al Gore...maybe we'll be in time for his sequel. But seriously, though, it only reinforces the sustainability potential of furs.

Keep the comments pouring in, amici.

a presto,

J.

Al Gore and all those who agree with him should be first in line to support the wearing of furs. It is literally the chice between a Hummer and a Hybrid.