New Zealand possum

Guest manywonderfulfurs

Hello, everyone.

I am expecting a New Zealand brush-tailed possum pelt in the mail (it's coming all the way from New Zealand). I am also expecting a possum fur pillow from an eBay seller located in Alaska. Has anyone here ever felt possum fur? I read that it is cashmere soft (17 microns), and is 7% warmer than wool.

Those marsupials (introduced from Australia to New Zealand in the mid 1800s) are eating their way through NZ's rain forests at an astounding 21,000 tons of foliage per night. They number over 70 million strong, and are increasing their population 30% annually.

I'm glad the fur industry is helping to control their numbers. I can't wait to receive both the pelt and the pillow.

Vince

San Diego, CA

Possum fur. I am not sure what it would be like. I have felt our native possum fur here. I think it would be kind of like a shorter and less dense chinchilla but I hesitate to compare the two as I don't think they would really be that close.

Indeed it is always so tragic when one species is introduced into a country to control something. It seldom works in the tail end. Species just adapt too quickly to the strangest things.

W

A highly under-rated fur in my opinion. The australian opossum garments I've owned were soft and downy, almost sable like. It does not wear that well and gets wooly looking if much used but on the plus side of that, the price is right. Enjoy your purchases!

Actually, the brush-tailed possum was introduced into New Zealand to start a fur industry. This failed and either the possums escaped or were let loose. Now they are wreaking ecological havoc on island nation's forests.

Vince

One of my house coats is opossum. It is soft and wears well. it does have a slight wooly quality and smell particularly when a bit wet.

It's certainly warm and quite comfortable.

OFF