White Turf 2007

elbas3175

I remember last year that this event was mentioned in this forum. It sounded as though it was a Mecca for furs, with some horse racing thrown in for those interested in gambling.

Does anyone know any details of the event this year? From what I've read so far, the racing takes place on 3 consecutive Sundays only, from 4th February.

How do you get there? Fly to Zurich, or Milan?

zurich then the train to Chur; then change for St,moritz. Takes about 4 hours but is truly spectacular and I recommend getting a train with restaurant car.

yes first threee sundays in feb.

This year is the 100th anniversary so will be very special. if ever you are thinking of going its this year!

Well, after seeing the pictures from previous White Turf events, I have one thing to say.

I'm there, baby!

Depending on my work schedule, I'll be sure to make at least one of the events and parties up there, and hopefully in my full-length otter coat.

Can't wait!

J.

Hi there touch of sable from what i have seen the pictures of st moritz are good has you know i love seeing horses and fur it reminds me of a tale of the avengers movie and bad emma was going to be on a horse in that huge hooded fur but it was shelved because of health & safety i still think it would have been good by the way bring back loads of pictures also could you think of a good avatar for me i thought offs on fur feets picture of white mink & fox on horse would do

I would love to go to this.

Any idea of cost? I know it depends on what level of accommodation you choose, but St Mortiz is expensive in general, isn't it? Are there other town nearby where one might stay?

And how much is it to watch the racing?

Joe, I think it would be great if you would attend cause it sounds really neat, but please consider perhaps a fur other than otter...be adventurous on your adventure okay?

ciao bella,

Bad news from the U.S.A.. Over the summer, while I was off galavanting around Europe, I left my otter coat in New York to have a small 1" rip in the arm repaired. When I stopped by before I came back to Rome, the place I took the coat to hadn't stored it like I asked. They had sewn the hole, but the pelts had dried out to the point where little rips had opened all over the area where the original rip happened.

!@#%&.

My coat is now sitting in a friend's apartment in Philadelphia with no one to enjoy it (or repair) it. The place in New York (which will forever remain nameless...no hard feelings) recommended I replace the pelt completely. I considered buying another otter pelt on eBay, but with my time and energy levels at their lowest, I simply resigned from the matter temporarily. When I return to visit the States next week, I plan to go to Flemington Furs to see Christina, their experienced furrier, who I really should have gone to in the first place.

Allora, the weather in Roma is miserable. I went to the beach in Sperlonga the other day...it was sunny and warm, my friends and colleagues here can't get enough of it. Even on days like today, when the skies are poised to rain and the sight of a thousand umbrellas simultaneously opening in Piazza Navona makes your heart skip a beat...

I miss fur season USA.

ciao amici,

J.

I am so sorry to hear of your fur difficulties Joe. It just goes to emphasise once again just how important regular care of our furs is, as well as being able to trust the ones that we pay to take care of some of our most prized posessions. I too have been burned on one occasion, and will never return to that furrier, unless i needed to, and only after I could be reassured of changes being made.

Is anyone going to the White Turf? Do you know which weekend you will be going to St Moritz?

It would be great if there were some other Denizens there at the same time. I have a couple of hooded blue fox coats which I am desperate to showcase in the right setting. I suspect I would be a lot less bashful if I knew some fur fans were going to be there.

I would really like to go and spend a whole week in a proper wintry clime but, having overspent on furs during a recent trip to the US, I have a bit of a cashflow situation. At best, I think I will be able to pay a flying visit.

All this talk of white turf got me thinking. I have a picture that I downloaded from a site that shows a man in silver fox and a woman in lynx that appear to be watching a race. Does anyone know if this was taken at this event per chance?