Warning to members VIRUS POSTS

ReFur

Folks,

We are having some obvious bored new members posting post that have viruses attached.

Until they get bored, just wanted you to have a "heads up!"

Thanks,

Linda

Edited by Guest

This is from Charliefox:

Do not click on messages from MARBUNSH5. Each link takes you to a virus that even Norton does not detect right away!!!

I'm happy I have GoBack on my system - the only thing to save the day!!

Charliefox

Well, for an update, White Fox and FrBrGr came on and made some changes. The offending posts have been fixed and we now have more flexiblity on which forums mods can moderate on. That was 90% of the problem.

But, in case these kids come back on this evening, please don't download any active x downloads that a new member might link to. These trojans can do terrible harm to your computer.

Linda

If, per chance, you accidentally clicked on one of those links you should consider your computer compromised EVEN IF YOU HAVE ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE! I don't know exactly what this Trojan did, but they often steal passwords and/or other personal, confidential information for use by some other nefarious persons at a later date.

Even if you removed the "virus"... Even if you have roll-back software installed on your computer, the few minutes that "thing" ran on your computer would have been enough to steal your passwords and glean other information.

So, IF you downloaded that "virus", you might want to change your passwords.

If you only looked at the forum page on which the link was posted you don't have anything to worry about. If you clicked on the link that said, "Christmas Orgasms" you might be compromised.

There was a file called "maxsetup.1603.exe". If you downloaded and executed that file, your computer is compromised.

If you want to know more about Trojan's click the link to the web page below. You will be taken to a company called "Sophos.com" This company makes "Enterprise Level" antivirus software. This is the kind of program(s) that large companies use to protect all the computers in their building from viruses and trojans.

>>> www.sophos.com <<<

I'm not 100% sure that the trojan/virus that was downloaded is the same as the one that's described on the page above but it is at least SIMILAR to it.

Again... If you only LOOKED at the forum page on which the link was posted you are OK. You must have CLICKED on it for any damage to be done.

If you have a question about whether or not you were affected, please send me or one of the other moderators a PM. We'll do what we can to help.

I want to thank all of our mods for the job they did today under difficult circumstances to so quickly take care of a problem that arose.

We hope that all is taken care of now, but as Linda said, members should be careful until we know that we have this under control. I just want to assure all members here that we have no tolerence for this sort of thing here, and the harshest steps possible are taken to make certain that it does not happen again!

Thanks all

White Fox

Administrator

As a computer expert, let me add my 2 cents ...

I strongly recommend where possible everyone uses a browser called firefox instead of internet explorer. This will protect you from a number of basic security flaws when using the internet. Likewise, it's always good to have a firewall (The one with Windows is good enough to be honest) on top of just relying on a virus killer. (I recommend AVG, and Sophos is also very good, but AVG offers a free version which is equally as effective).

If you want to get a copy of firefox, it's free from mozilla.com.

As an Information Security professional... it would be even better to get a Mac running OS X... I love going to the site with viri and dling them and then helping to get these (cough cough) people busted...

anyway if you can't do that FoxKid suggestion is what we recommend to all our clients. IE should ONLY be used to "talk" to M$ 's website.

FruMyLove, CISSP

Sophos is the catz azz!

I was browsing the net at work. I had been browsing for, maybe, fifteen minutes when the phone in my office rang. It was the I.T. manager in charge of the network administration. He said, "There's a virus on your computer. I just sent you an e-mail. I need you to click on the link in that e-mail to remove it."

I opened up my mailbox and there was his e-mail, sent just two minutes ago. I clicked on the link and it activated the local virus scanner on my computer. I'll be damned if there wasn't a virus on my computer!

I ran the virus removal program and rescanned the comptuer. After a pause, the guy said, "You're all clean, now... Thanks!" With that we hung up.

Since Sophos is enterprise level software the virus scanners on the remote comptuers, situated all around the company "cooperate" with the main virus scanner on the central server. If either one of the two applications detects virus or virus traffic over the network, a message is sent to the administrator who then takes steps to eradicate the problem.

I was impressed!

I believe Sophos makes individual versions of the program too. I don't have a virus problem at home so I don't have call to use antivirus software.

Probably might as well be the one to ask the question, but was the new member listing the virus riddled post one of us or a PETA sympathist?

Yep - someone has to be the baddy, so accidental or spiteful

Auzmink

I do not entirely agree with the post from Worker 11811 or from furmylove. I'm not going to engage in any kind of "I-know-better" banter, but please visit my post in the MARBUNSH5-related thread; since I've been in the industry since 1985 I do have the experience and credentials to back my comments.

When properly configured and not mucked around with, IE7's default security settings will block 98% of all compromise attempts. In connection with a decent firewall (not the Windows Firewall) and capable AV & Spyware suite (NAV2006 + Ad-Aware), you can consider yourselves "safe".

Please see the referenced thread for more info.

--S

Scott,

In moderating for the links. I tried to open the link. It ask for approval to download active x link. I declined. I have up-to-date Norton and neither Internet Explorer 7 nor Norton flagged a problem. Maybe if I had proceeded it would have.

Linda