How should a woman dress?

fluffyfox

I have been told by a lady that a woman can not wear jeans (or any kind of trousers) when she is wearing a fur -

only skirts are a decent outfit an the shoes or boots must be the classic ones.

To me this is not all true - fur might not just be associated with glamour and richness.

I like seeing women wearing their furs in a casual way with jeans and sweatshirts (and even sneakers if they choose so)

and that is also true even if the fur is a full length black mink coat.

It tells me that a woman likes to wear her fur because she loves fur and not as a show off.

That said, it is still nice to see a woman wearing high heals and fur.

What is your opinion? How should women dress with fur?

For each generation there is an acceptable code of dress. I'll bet your lady would also expect a suit and tie as proper dress for a male at dinner.

Not that she is wrong. For her this is a true statement.

But, does this make a lady who is going to the grocery store in jeans wrong to wear her fur. No.

Yesterday I went to dinner to an older lady's home that I really admire. I would NEVER wear jeans to her home, because I respect her. BUT, if she came to my home, I would not apologize for wearing my jeans, either.

Hope that helps.

Not wearing furs with jeans may have been true 40 or 50 years ago.

Today furs have been styled to compliment all styles of dressing. As I have stated before, It is the style of the fur that matters. I would not wear a highly styled evening fur with a pair of jeans. On the other hand I have absolutely no hestitation to wear a casual syle fur with a pair of jeans.

The important thing is not do you wear furs with jeans or pants, but rather do you wear the fur which is properly styled to be worn with a pair of jeans or any other casual wear.

Well of course one can do anything they wish these days;

howver...etiquette wise, a fur should be worn when the wearer wants to show respect of an occassion, a person or people. That is why sometimes you still see ladies wearing them to church. It used to be considered a faux pas in the 60s (largely because of Jayne mansfield)to wear fur in hot weather howver as this was seen as inappropriate. Howver this rule has also now slackened, and it is not common but not surprising to see fur stoles on smart young ladies at high profile race meetings in summer....but understated.

As this English convention is connected with respect, then the wearing of jeans etc would be NOT appropriate....you cannot show respect in jeans fll stop. However, the continental approach was always in stark contarst to the British. In France, "le jeans et le mink" became a slogan...as long as the rest of the clothing was stylishly causal it was acceptable.

However. Americans. There is still a saying among the British style gurus that you can tell the nationality of a lady in fur with trainers on!

Sorry ...that is never acceptable !!!! (tongue firmly in cheek)

However. Americans. There is still a saying among the British style gurus that you can tell the nationality of a lady in fur with trainers on!

Sorry ...that is never acceptable !!!! (tongue firmly in cheek)

LOL - that's a classic yet in some cases, so very true

As a whole, I totally agree with fur babe. The clothes worn should match the style of fur. For example, i think a women wearing a sporty coyote vest with an evening dress would look just as out of place as woman wearing an haute couture full length mink with jeans and sneakers.

That being said though, a confident woman can pretty much pull off any look.

I really couldn't careless what the hell is been worn with a fur, because any fur is better than no fur! I do agree though that it's important to match styles accordingly. I mean you wouldn't wear your wedding dress on a casual trip to the supermarket would you?

Dress for the occasion.

If the dress code (stated or inferred) demands that attendees dress a certain way then, fur or no fur, follow those rules.

You wouldn't wear jeans to a formal wedding or church service. Neither would you wear an evening gown to a family gathering. As long as you are dressed properly for the occasion you are attending you are okay.

Wearing or not wearing fur is a secondary issue after that.