Have you seen this Bear?

Worker 11811

I looked there first but they are gone.

Once they are gone from the store, they usually appear on ebay shortly thereafter but no such luck. I spent most of this week searching the internet and making phone calls with negative results. Appearently, the Bear was sold out even before the catalogs came out in November. I tried to order a Snuff and they were gone already.

I've got an offer in to some people at FAO Schwarz to pay "Collector's Market Price" for this Bear but I don't know what will come of it.

I've dealt with FAO Schwarz for 15 years and have NEVER EVER had a problem like this. Every time I called them they have been able to get what I need. I know they've been in and out of bankruptcy over the last several years but, even so, this is the worst I've had.

Mind you, this is a special version of the Snuffles Bear sold only at FAO Schwarz.

I'm not very optimistic about finding one.

Have you ever thought that if you didnt go around buying expensive bears you would allready have a fur for your wife by now?

Oh and a friend of mine did buy one of those for her Mom for Christmas.

Its an okay looking bear but the limited edition makes it more "wantable".

There are two versions of the Bear. Both are limited edition. One is from Gund. The other is an FAO exclusive. The Gund Bear is 9" from nose to tail. The FAO Bear is larger.

We already have the 9" Gund Bear. It's the larger FAO Bear we're after.

Our main complaint is that the Bears were nearly gone when the catalogs were printed. By the time they reached us in the mail there might have only been a few left, if any.

I have been calling the store since Monday. (Actually, I left messages on their voice mail Sunday evening.) They didn't even return the calls, even if to say, "Too bad! So sad!" I had to call the main operator and pitch a fit to even get to talk to a real person. When I told the "Personal Shopper" that I had made no less than six phone calls in the last three days her response was, "Well, I had a lady spend $10,000 yesterday so I was busy."

I don't expect her to drop an important customer just to tell me that a silly $100 Bear isn't available anymore but at the VERY LEAST she could have had one of her assistants return the stinkin' phone call for her!

It seems to me that FAO Schwarz is but a shadow of its former self.

If anybody knows where one of these Bears is they should contact me. If they can verify that they have the FAO version of the Bear, I'm sure we can come to a nice arrangement.

Edited by Guest

Worker I think there is an area of eBay where you can put in requests.

You can also do a search on ebay for this item and save it. Obviously there will be no items in the search right now, but you will receive emails if any show up.

Good luck!

Linda

• 5 weeks later...

Thought I'd post an update on this situation. Although we haven't found the Bear we were looking for, at least SOMETHING good has come out of the whole fiasco.

Shortly after getting snubbed on the phone I sent the following letter via registered letter to the General Manager of the store:

General Manager

FAO Schwarz

767 Fifth Avenue

New York, NY 10153

Saturday, December 16, 2006

Dear Mr. Mast;

I am sorry to write such an unhappy letter but this has been a very disappointing day, indeed.

For the first time in years there will be no teddy bears from FAO Schwarz underneath our Christmas tree!

Before I go into detail, let me give you some background. My wife and I are avid teddy bear collectors. There are nearly 1,000 bears in our collection. They

• 5 weeks later...

Here's a ray of sunshine!

Guess who came to my house today?

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m294/Cirrus01/Snuff25A.jpg

SNUFFLES!!

I've been hunting for the Bear ever since Christmas time and JUST found one for sale on the net last week! She wasn't even for sale on eBay. It was on Yahoo Groups "Teddy Bear Collector's Group"!

I had to weasel to get her previous owner to cross-ship the package with my payment so that Snuff could arrive in time for Vallentie's Day but she MADE IT!

I got a much needed smile out of this! Melanie certainly will when she comes downstairs in the morning and finds Snuff waiting for her!

Oh! And, by the way...

HAPPY VALLENTINE'S DAY!

Thanks, guys.

Melanie was REALLY happy to find the Bear waiting for her on the dining room table when she came downstairs this morning.

She (Snuffles is a She-Bear... Why ELSE would she be pink?) cost a lot more than her original price but I knew that going into this. I had special money saved up just for Christmas. When I didn't get this Bear I put it away, knowing I would need it (and more) when I finally did find her.

It was a good thing I got her when I did because just a day after she arrived I saw somebody else respond to the message inquiring if the Bear was still available.

This particular Snuffles is a hot property! I had to use my best Bear Wrangling skills to get her!

Like I said above, it helps lift a little bit of that dark cloud that's settled in above my head lately.

It was a good thing I got her when I did because just a day after she arrived I saw somebody else respond to the message inquiring if the Bear was still available.

This particular Snuffles is a hot property! I had to use my best Bear Wrangling skills to get her!

For a man with so many Bears you really don't understand us at all.

Bears choose who will buy them, not the other way round, somtimes we make it hard just to be sure you really deserve us. I had Tryxie rooting on a shelf for 30 minutes looking for me. She would have found me sooner but I kept moving. hehheheeheheh.

Im sure you will be all happy, just remeber you can never have to many cookies.