conservative vs fashion

furslave

This should be a pole. What are we?

Conservative in terms of fur :

http://www.jollyjumbuckleathers.com/product-1957.php

or

more into fashion:

http://compe.japandesign.ne.jp/report/jfa2006/

I'm more conservative. I mean, I prefur what I can buy. Although I have fun looking at fashion, to see all the new ideas for fur.

To me, nothing is best than a long, thick white fox fur with hood!!!

Thats just me, what about you?

furslave

Conservative, of course. I'm really not into non-sleeves, vests, cuffs, don't like the leather insertions (panels), I hate belts in the middle of coats. Just plain coat/stroler/jacket - fur and no more!

If those are our choices. I would hazard a guess that for most of us "conservative" as regards style and fashion could be summed up as the decade of the 1980s. Big furs, power furs, classic styling, timeless looks.

This then would be contrasted to more 'vintage' from say 1950 to 1970 which would pick up a large amount of mink, with traditional stoles, capes, jackets and strollers. I for one will always own mink stoles. I just love 'em.

I have little or no interest in haute couteur which to me looks like fur abuse.

I'd suggest the terms traditional versus haute couture if I correctly see the contrast you mean here.

But since it was posed as conservative versus fashion, I'll say CONSERVATIVE. I like furs that shout out that they're furs, not furs masquerading as faux or cloth. I like natural colors or if they're dyed resembling natural colors (like crystal or blush fox). I like full length coats, stoles, boas, muffs and scarves. Jackets just seem to be holding back too much as compared to coats. But then I like the playfullness and diversity of how stoles and scarves can be worn. Not mentioned so far are blankets, and I certainly like them.

Of course in the absence of anything else, jackets will do, trims will do.

Thanks for the question!

frugalfurguy

Is furslave happy with the response so far?

All the sharp reparte and discourse of a Musak conference.

Casual but not Consrevative. I loove this coat

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=013&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=230066405429&rd=1&rd=1

In contrast one of the poorest fur designs I've ever seen.

It's like a 'Station Wagon' body with Jamaican Carnival Taxi sleeves

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=013&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=230066407617&rd=1&rd=1

Sorry. Just venting Flu bile.

OFF

I'd suggest the terms traditional versus haute couture if I correctly see the contrast you mean here.
I agree with the above quote that "haute couture" is probably a better term for what furslave referred to in the original post. However, I think the question should have 3 options - Conservative or traditional (to me a plain mink full length or stroller), Casual (my definition of furslave's "conservative" link), Haute Couture (my definition of furslave's "fashion" link).

Personally, I prefer casual.

Thank you AK and frugalfurguy;

You are both spot on.

Don't want to pull a Mr.B but the correct word(s) (terminology) can mean everything.

Words will never salvage this design.

however: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=013&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=230066407617&rd=1&rd=1

Most of what's on eBay (that's not jumk) is Conservative or Casual since, like most womens clothes, that's what most wear.

What poses as Haute Couture on eBay is either overpriced junk a scam or both.

We have to go to the runway sites that show up and are in the Links to find good examples.

OFF

"Change is the only constant."

I'm not sure who first said that but what we love so deeply about the 70's and 80's big furs and is now considered 'Conservative' was then Haute Couture. They were my fantasy furs then and now

Haute Couture now is something quite different and I'm not so sure it will evergin the historical staying power with dedicated fur lovers.

Just look in the Gallery at the new sets of Linsay Lohan and Penelope Cruz wrapped in just such "Classic" furs.

OFF

Well I'm more than happy with the answers!

Call it what you want: conservative vs fashion, or classic vs new, or casual vs haute couture! It doesn't really mather to me its almost like all the same. But there are differences and I'm happy to see that my simple question turned out to be a more questionable question! If you know what I mean!

But thanks to all of you for the answers.

Its been a while since I came here to ask questions. Even thought I dont have time as much as I would want to, you are still in my favourite site, and I will still come back here like I've always did since a few years back when I use to be very active.

Dont change anything, you guys ROCK!

furslave

OFF you gave me some laughs

Truth be told, I wouldn't mind snuggling with a coat like that, but for the price, even the buy it now price, one could do SO much better. What is it? Excessive shoulder pads? Not the best possible use of fox and mink pelts I'd say.

• 5 months later...

I Would Call Myself A Lover Of Classic Fashion When It Come To Fur And Clothes. If You Cant Wear A Coat For A Few Years At Least, You Are Wasting Your $

Besides How Many People Without Looking At A Magazine Really Remember The Fashions Of 2, 5 or 10 Years Ago. Style Is More Important Then Fashion In My Book.

When my collection started I was definitely conservative in terms of type and style...fox, coyote, lynx or raccoon were all I wanted and the bigger, thicker, and softer the better!

Now that I am up to 127...wow is that number right?...yes it is , my tastes have become a bit broader and more eclectic, mainly due to the discovery that lighter furs like mink can be worn nearly year round. The Big Four are still my favs and the majority of my collection, but my vaults have room for summer furs now as well.