Need to be careful

triboy46

As many of you know, wife and I frequently take four or five furs with us when we go shopping. Tonight, when getting ready to come home I put on her black mink jacket, very nice with swirl cut sleeves, I've worn it frequently. As I reached over my shoulder to get the seat belt, I heard the unmistakable "pop" of a stitch letting go. I immediatly stopped, and no other rips occurred. It has a french hem and when we got home we checked it out.

My warning is that since many if not most of our furs are womens, and we tend to have broader shoulders, care must be taken in certain actions and positions lest we damage what we love.

That said, it was a great night shopping, 22 degrees F here in Oklahoma! Great fur weather. She wore her crystal for a while, and the blue fox for a while, then the black mink I mentioned. Great evening

Because of the weight of pelts, it is a question of not if a fur will break but when.

There used to be a whole cottage industry devoted to sewing up furs that had come apart at the hem. Try to find a place that does it now!

Great thread!!

I cringed when I read your post. I have done the same thing! I went to reach for the car door and that horrible sound!!

With long furs, I found you must learn to get in and out of the car with a little more care. I unbutton the coat before I get in. I set in the seat and then raise up the take pressure of the the seat area by pulling it up.

Then a third thing, if you are to a snowy area as I am, you have to make certain your hemline does not fall on the floor of the car where the wet snow is melting. We have salted roads here and it can really damage the fur and make a terrible mess of your lining.

At first it seemed like a pain, but now it is second nature.

Maybe some of our other members who have had long furs much longer than I, might have some pointers.

Linda

Thanks so much for sharing that experience. Getting into or out of a car isn't a big issue for me as I'm intentionally carless.

I can, however, relate to ripped seams. For years my only fur was a rabbit coat that was already all but a craft cutter when I bought it. Life with that one was a matter of watching its seams come apart through the years. Then again it hadn't cost a whole lot to begin with, was still plenty delightful to stroke, and wasn't something I wore in public or expected anyone else to wear in public.

So now my the newly purchased used furs. My mink stole popped a seam between two of the pelts joined right at the center. I didn't hear anything when they popped. Chances are this fur's as old as I am if not older, so I'm not terribly surprised. Still it's not a development I'm happy for.

Great thread!!

If that were the case we wouldn't be looking at this.

Nevertheless, a great pun, Linda!

Usually it is not the thread that breaks, but the leather that rips along the line of needle holes of the seam.