Fur shopping in NYC

Foxfurlover

Hi all,

My gf and I are traveling to NYC this weekend and want to do some fur shopping. Wondering if any of you have some good suggestions on where to go for good deals. I have around $1000-1500 fur budget for this trip. We're looking for a nice f/l fox (new or used). I plan on visiting Kaufman Furs, but doubt I could afford anything there.

Thanks for any input.

Fox

ciao ragazzi,

hate to break it to you, uv, but ritz closed its doors over a year ago. i, too, was a customer of theirs this century, but lately my new york furrier of choice is an old greek man named george at a place called u.s.a. furs at...if i remember it right...w. 30th st. between 7th and 8th aves in midtown. his very ambitious and personable young sales assistant, jose, gave me a sweet deal on my black fox hooded jacket in the spring of 04. they've done numerous other fur repairs and alterations for me free of charge. jose even worked out an easy payment plan for me and gave my 6 year old cousin a little gift when she came in with her mom. so, insert shameless plug here...and tell jose that 'joe, the white dude with the black fox' sent you.

i've also bought from marc kaufman, who will definitely be able to accommodate your budget. he periodically runs astounding specials on ebay, and on his own site, but you have to check out his new shop a couple doors down from u.s.a. furs by george. it'll be interesting to see who will offer the lower price this season.

across 7th avenue as the car drives, on the same side of 30th st. is a tiny little place known as the fursher's. if you see large men wearing big fox jackets out on the street, handing out flyers, they were most likely hired by the fursher. i forget his name, but he actually used to work for george. he's a lot more expensive, but he has some of the best chinchillas i've ever seen (not to mention a celebrity clientele worth devoting to an entire wall).

next door, if they're open, is miro furs, the outfit that sells on ebay under the name polarfurs49fq. (formerly just polarfurs...i don't know what happened there) i got an excellent deal on one of my favorite coats here three years ago, but i'm not entirely sure whether they moved.

there are two or three more places worth visiting on the same side of the street, but the rule of thumb in the fur district is to keep walking around and discover surprises yourself. some of the better ones don't have street-front showrooms - they are located on the upper floors of #345 7th avenue, or one of the other midrises that used to contain the core of the eastern united states' fur business. now, a good deal of the manufacturing is moving overseas (most notably to China). the experience of buying a 'made anywhere' fur from a department store lacks the personal and welcoming touch of the independent 'old guard' down in the garment district. new york still is one of the most important fur cities in the world - have a great time, take lots of pictures, and no matter where you go, enjoy yourself.

oh...and caveat emptor. none of these folks have ever beaten the prices on good old ebay.

buonanotte,

j.

As Joe said - just wander around the fur district - a few blocks between 7th and 8th Avenues and 33rd to 27th streets. Too many furriers to count. Mark Kaufman is a friend of this site, you might want to let him know you'll be in town and check out his shop.

FLinFL

...great to hear that the Ritz re-opened. Haven't had a chance to check out their website. I wonder, is it run by the same people?

I believe that Ritz Furs only closed its old store because the building itself had been sold, and they thus had lost their lease there. I think that they were always intending to reopen in a new location. I am virtually certain that it is entirely the same crew, not merely someone hijacking a discarded name.

DKMain

NYC, NYS. USA

I've just been to New York myself and I stumbled across the "new" Ritz Furs. As DKMain says, the old property was sold and they've moved to a new location.

Joe mentioned "the fur palace" - I presume you were talking about New York or 345 7th Avenue? Well, I'd also like to recommend the actual "Fur Palace" - 209 West 29th Street. Run by a Greek family originally from Kastoria, another major fur region.

If it's fox you're specifically interested in, there's a couple of places in Montreal I'd recommend. Elysee Furs and Oliver Furs. I appreciate you're not going to Montreal (!), but they will do custom orders if you know what you want. If you're looking for something new, they certainly offer good prices and very good quality on fox. I'm not sure what they have in terms of secondhand items though.

The main thing is to go and enjoy yourself. There are so many showrooms to visit, and some have sales on at the moment.

Have been past this place a few times and they seem to have many fluffy foxes in the window:

Fur and Furgery

37th Street between 7th & 8th Avenue.

Not sure about pricing.

Good Luck. It is supposed to start getting chilly here this weekend.

FD

I would definitely recommend Denimaxx, up on Madison, behind Saks. They always have terrific high fashion furs and shearlings.

They have also done a number a number of custom things for my wife and I.

sf fur

I wanted to thank you all for the suggestions, what a wonderful trip we had. We spent the better part of Friday visiting many of the furriers in the fur district. My GF tried on so many furs, such an incredible experience. Sadly most of the furriers had very little in full length foxes and we thought we were out of luck on getting what we wanted until we went into Macys on 34th.

In Macys we found a wonderful full lenth Saga Furs black fox. It was orginally $5k marked down to $2500. They happend to be running a weekend sale and we got the coat for $1800. What an incredible experience to buy a new fur. I know it's a bit pricey compared to the ebay market, but atleast were were able to examine it and she could try it on before we bought it.

In the fur district we came a upon a furrier supply store and I picked up some very nice quality fox pelts for really nice prices. Two black foxes, 2 blue foxes and two huge white foxes.

Our last bit of luck was in Saks 5th Ave. We bought 2 rex rabbit headbands, black and white.

And as we walked around on Saturday, as the temp went from 70s on Friday to 40s the next, the furs were really out. Many many minks and foxes on women of all ages.

All in all a great trip, and not just for the furs. NYC was such a wonderful city and we did so much walking, ate many great meals and saw some wonderful sites.

I've posted some picks of the coat and the other furs, enjoy.

Fox

Way to go, FFL!!! Congrats! Now, have you been a good den-izon and posted pics in the Gallery??? If you have, thank you! If not, your next mission seems clear...

FLinFL

FurFoxLover,

You did well. There is no comparison with what you would find on eBay and what you bought. Plus, Black Fox is hard to find!! You bought a full length coat for the price of a jacket.

Congratulations.

Isn't New York wonderful?!!

Linda