Wearing Fur To Work

pelliccia

Do any of you wear fur to the office or wherever you work? What were the reactions of coworkers? For the upcoming winter I may try to do so and would love to hear stories.

• Like 1

I wear my full length minks to work but I usually leave them in the car on the back seat. (It’s a secluded place way off the beaten track!)  Sometimes, I give colleagues a lift to the quarter mile where the main road joins and they always compliment me on whichever coat I’m wearing.  

I wouldn’t wear them into the building since there’s a communal changing room and I’d hate for them to be tampered with or stolen.  And I suppose I don’t want to be part of the general gossip. 

For those of us who work primarily at the remote office at home - these occasions of wearing furs to work should be stand issue! 🙂

A couple of Winters ago, I distinctly remember wearing my wife’s old Silver Fox full-length to keep warm while the space heater got the room to comfortable temperatures. Next winter, I may do this more but 1) set the temperature to just BELOW room temp and 2) use other furs that isn’t part of my wife’s regular rotation.

I really love to go for a lunch walk, so 2 years ago it was the first time I took a black mink coat with me. My colleagues did not notice anything until I went for my usual walk during lunch. The coat was hanging over my chair since we do not have a proper wardrobe already the entire morning. Their reactions were pretty surprised but that was about it, no discussions or anything like that. During the walk it was not even a discussion or a subject or even mentioned. Since I like to start pretty early, my second time nobody even reacted and now I switched jobs :). So no I have to wait for a new winter with this company.

I had a similar experience when I was at a customer in Sweden during winter, a colleague was surprised, but no comment from the customer. Also no comments from the surroundings.

When I was last winter in Finland in Raahe it was minus 24 degrees Celcius (-11 Fahrenheit), which was even cold for their standards, I took a mink coat with me. I could not use it during work time, since work clothes were mandatory, nobody even glanced at me.

If I ever get compliments it is from women (only 1 occasion from a man but that was in France), usually they are the ones that like to receive compliments but I never ask for for it. And yes, I am pretty insecure. Since I work in industrial environments most people are men. So the compliments are from complete strangers when I am on the streets, not during work. Nobody really seems to bother during work 🙂 and I am curious how it will turn out this time. Now I am working for a department with origins in Germany where fur is more common then in the Netherlands

A few years back, before I really came out, I would wear my reversible MINK (and leather) jacket to work every day. As the MINK wasn't really visible (only the cuffs and collar) there was no reaction whatsoever.

I could just relish the wearing of this jacket.

I don't know about now, as I (must) wear a fur coat every day. Fortunately I don't have to content with the situation.

Bob

I used to wear my furs to work back when I had a job at Macys around 2017. I worked there during the winter season and we had plenty of cold temps with severe windchills and plenty of snow. I managed to spot a fair amount of shoppers in furs too during this period. That job ended up being cut short because by mid December I was hit with a debilitating sinus infection that knocked me off my feet for a good six weeks.