Would this have happened to a white man?

Caroline_Winn_cunt

This took place in the last 13 years in San Diego, California.  The place is the Bloomingdale's store in Fashion Valley Mall.  I observed this with my own eyes as I was in the store.  A young black man walks into Bloomie's with his wife or girlfriend.  He immediately sees a cross mink jacket hanging on a rack in the fur salon, which is not far from the front entrance.  He walks up to the jacket to get a closer look.  The white male salesperson immediately walks up to him and says, "That jacket is $5000."  If the black guy had been white, would the white male salesperson have acted differently?

Yes it can and it actually happened to me. Many years ago I walked into the Aspen Fur Company while I was on my winter break from collage with my family in Colorado. They didn’t have much of a selection that I was interested in looking at, but I did see a nice black fox coat. The sales clerk immediately approached me and told me the coat was $14,000. He also told me the store has a strict policy requiring that their clients are not allowed to browse without the supervision of a salesperson or manager on site to oversee a sale. My parents told him we were just browsing but he wouldn’t have it. We eventually decided to leave the store without purchasing anything and I never followed through with the black fox at a later date. Though I would find a black fox from a local furrier many years later and their sales staff were much more polite and accommodating. So maybe it’s just all a luck of the draw. 

Edited by Panther10

38 minutes ago, Panther10 said:

Yes it can and it actually happened to me. Many years ago I walked into the Aspen Fur Company while I was on my winter break from collage with my family in Colorado. They didn’t have much of a selection that I was interested in looking at, but I did see a nice black fox coat. The sales clerk immediately approached me and told me the coat was $14,000. He also told me the store has a strict policy requiring that their clients are not allowed to browse without the supervision of a salesperson or manager on site to oversee a sale. My parents told him we were just browsing but he wouldn’t have it. We eventually decided to leave the store without purchasing anything and I never followed through with the black fox at a later date. Though I would find a black fox from a local furrier many years later and their sales staff were much more polite and accommodating. So maybe it’s just all a luck of the draw. 

no the say black mail person not blak fox

I don't think it matters to be honest.. Ive got friends from all over the world, different ethnicity, religious beliefs.. and its similar for everyone..

Not using fur as an example but Ive gone in places being the regular everyday white guy and have been treated like I couldnt afford a coffee from McDonalds...

Im also the person I admit it.. I really don't give a crap what I am wearing... Im not a flashy dresser at all.. Im actually comfortable wearing a set of just black light track pants and an Iron Maiden T Shirt...  but when you go into places with that look people get the perception you cant afford anything and your just some guy making by...  Im not here to talk about my job or my salary, but I live comfortably and can within reason generally get things I want and not be worried... so don't let what you see be the deciding factor...

When I was in middle school, (1995-1998), my father, brother, and I went to Fashion Valley Mall.  We went inside the Saks Fith Avenue.  We were not dressed fancy.  The male salespeople gave us a look of disdain, like we didn't belong there.  The female salespeople were nice and actually smiled at us.  That Saks closed down during the last recession.  There was a very nice middle aged white or Hispanic woman who worked there in the fur department.  I once bought her a soft bagel from one of the food shops at the mall.

9 hours ago, sheepskinjoe said:

no the say black mail person not blak fox

I know that. I’m just saying that any customer can be profiled regardless of race in a furrier. As far as the reason why I was profiled, it probably had to do with the fact that I was just some young 20 year old kid and I didn’t look like a serious shopper. So the the store clerk who approached me was a little more on guard in case he had to shoo me out of the store. Little did he realize that I was a prospective client and if he hadn’t been so abrasive I would have purchased that coat from his store many years later when I had the funds. But unfortunately for him I went a different direction. Also from what I understand that store is no longer there. It shut down in 2009. so I can only assume his abrasive store policies ended up costing him dearly. 

Edited by Panther10

1 hour ago, sheepskinjoe said:

lol we all perpecive clents someday gtfo

We can all dream.

I suppose the classic example of this is the scene in ‘Pretty Women’ where the Julie Roberts character is treated with undisguised disdain by the women working in the boutique.  Followed by the Richard Gere character telling the store manager that he’s going to spend REALLY offensive sums of money in his shop!