Advice for short guys?

walk01

So I’m only 5’6”, which means it can be difficult styling myself, I am usually looking for clothing/styles that makes me look taller. Such as, tucked shirt, medium to high rise pants etc. One of the biggest things that I’ve heard is to not wear full length coats, because it makes you look shorter. Any other short guys out there? What’s your advice with fur coats? Stories and so on. 

Edited by walk01
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, walk01 said:

One of the biggest things that I’ve heard is to not wear full length coats

I believe attitude can make you even bigger than your hearts desire. Do not value too much what others say and go for it.

• Like 1

I’m 6 ft 2” and I find I have the opposite issue with full length furs. I feel like full length furs are more ideal because I can take advantage of both my extra height and the longer length. But if I wear a shorter jacket or stroller coat I look like I’m wearing my grandmothers fur and it doesn’t look right for my outstretched legs to be peeking under the bottom of the fur

On 11/28/2023 at 7:01 PM, Panther10 said:

I’m 6 ft 2” and I find I have the opposite issue with full length furs. I feel like full length furs are more ideal because I can take advantage of both my extra height and the longer length. But if I wear a shorter jacket or stroller coat I look like I’m wearing my grandmothers fur and it doesn’t look right for my outstretched legs to be peeking under the bottom of the fur

Agree 100%.. Im 6'1 and find that even a "shorter full length" is still long... Ive got a few jackets though that when on barely make it past my waist.. I kinda like a jacket / parka at least past my butt... 

*laughs in 5'3* xD. Honestly I have no discomfort wearing a fur at my height. I just get one that fits me well, I don't think it makes much of a difference if you're a typical male size or female. I have a f/l that's a bit big on me (down to my ankles) that I most likely won't wear out but I also have a waist-length fur that fits me perfectly. And even if it does make you look shorter, why's that an issue? You're already short lol

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, FullLengthFox said:

I think it is preferable to be smaller for fur wearing, for women's furs anyway. 

Yes it is, because it is not just length that matters. Women’s coats and jackets are cut differently from men’s for one thing. They also tend to be narrower over shoulders, shorter sleeves etc. 

I count myself lucky at 5’11” and slender build. Here in Sweden lots of women are about the same height or not too much shorter. 

I also don’t have large feet which makes me able to wear women’s fur lined winter boots. 

On 11/28/2023 at 6:44 PM, walk01 said:

So I’m only 5’6”, which means it can be difficult styling myself, I am usually looking for clothing/styles that makes me look taller. Such as, tucked shirt, medium to high rise pants etc. One of the biggest things that I’ve heard is to not wear full length coats, because it makes you look shorter. Any other short guys out there? What’s your advice with fur coats? Stories and so on. 

This is not an uncommon thing, even for women. One reason why women don’t wear the big fox furs anymore is they quite often make them look bigger. 

With that said, it is all about finding a fur coat or jacket that matches your style and build. Unfortunately that often means tailored or made to measure. 

If you can afford it, it is well worth it. My newest fur jacket, a chinchilla, was made to my measurements. Super happy with it.

14 hours ago, WinnipegFur said:

Agree 100%.. Im 6'1 and find that even a "shorter full length" is still long... Ive got a few jackets though that when on barely make it past my waist.. I kinda like a jacket / parka at least past my butt... 

understandable. It’s been a number of years since I purchased a fur coat that was “off the rack” but from what I remember, most men’s full length furs are usually somewhere between 54”-56” long. Those measurements are consistent with the industry standard.  Most of my coats these days are custom made and are all in excess of 60”-62” respectively.  I try to go as long as possible on my furs. And I usually find that ankle length is the most desirable drape. That way they don’t get dirty at the bottom, and pretty much my entire body is insulated from the cold. Plus who doesn’t love the full drape of a fur coat?

8 hours ago, Panther10 said:

understandable. It’s been a number of years since I purchased a fur coat that was “off the rack” but from what I remember, most men’s full length furs are usually somewhere between 54”-56” long. Those measurements are consistent with the industry standard.  Most of my coats these days are custom made and are all in excess of 60”-62” respectively.  I try to go as long as possible on my furs. And I usually find that ankle length is the most desirable drape. That way they don’t get dirty at the bottom, and pretty much my entire body is insulated from the cold. Plus who doesn’t love the full drape of a fur coat?

Nice.. its hard to find that length in the used category.. Im lucky if I can find 50 inch length.. never mind 54-56 locally!

I’ve never heard of a 50” “full length” coat in a men’s cut before. That sounds more like a ladies cut where the average length is around 50” and the industry standard is between 47”-52”. Because if you’re dealing with a taller gentleman like us, a 50” coat comes down to about the knee. And a coat isn’t considered to be full length until it reaches the lower calf. And then maxi length is anywhere from the base of the calf all the way to the floor, which is what my coats qualify as. But again, you have to purchase a custom made coat and make a special request for those kinds of measurements if that’s what you really want. Just be aware you will be paying far more than what a used cost will cost. My last coat was upwards of $7200

Edited by Panther10

On 11/30/2023 at 9:36 AM, FullLengthFox said:

I think it is preferable to be smaller for fur wearing, for women's furs anyway. 

I remember seeing a young woman in Milan who must have been 6’ 2” who was wearing an ankle length sable coat.  It must have been custom made and I dread to think how much it would have cost. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, dongleboy said:

I remember seeing a young woman in Milan who must have been 6’ 2” who was wearing an ankle length sable coat.  It must have been custom made and I dread to think how much it would have cost. 

A full length russian barguzin sable will be st least 100k. 

My short chinchilla jacket was ”only” 15k.

Walko1......

I'm 5foot 7...medium build for a 40year old and I can wear two full lenght furs both at 52inches in length with any issues...

Luckily most furs are for women so it fits us shorter guys. Though some women's furs are too long for me :P Heels would be perfect for them, so as a guy maybe try to wear shows with more of a heel to it.