My thoughts about fur….

walk01

HI I’m new to the forum. I have been following the discussions for a while. Thought I’d input some stuff, and get some questions answered. 

I am a huge fur fan, have been for well a while…. Well for as long as I can remember. I owned a rabbit fur parka, with a huge raccoon fur collar, a few years back. I absolutely loved it, and I had a roommate who wore it one night, and said he liked it too. That was my first real jump into real fur. I got so self conscious about wearing it in public, that I sold it. So here’s my questions, I want to get another fur lined parka. I haven’t seen much on here about recommendations on where to get one, and good parkas to get. So has anyone had any great parkas that they have super liked? Also I’ve heard that rabbit fur, as a lining, can fade really easily. Has anyone checked out the True Outliers Mink fur lined parkas? Opinion's? 

I know there is a whole section devoted to this, but how do you gain confidence wearing furs in public? I read all of those answers, and thought I’d get more here. Also, what furs would you recommend to someone in my situation, just breaking into the industry?

Hi walk01.

Like you, I found the whole concept of me, as a bloke, wearing fur in public to be a step too far.  However, since the pandemic I’ve really stopped giving a damn what anyone thinks!  I work as a nurse and I saw so much death during that time that I decided that I’d do what made me happy.  My wife is very supportive and, for me, that’s all I’m concerned about.

What I DO get are lots of compliments from women who are intrigued by my fur wearing.  I’ve never had any problems with anti fur folk and really don’t care. 

Quite right! 
i had a bad time with covid & nearly snuffed it. Still not right yet. 
it does put a different complexion on things having a near death experience. 
TBH people dont give a toss about real fur one way or the other.. if you keep it low key, you won’t have any problems. If you want to go shopping in a full length fox coat, of course your’e gonna attract attention. Iv’e worn a mink lined leather coat for years during cold snaps & never had a problem yet. 

You really just have to stop caring what others think. People are going to judge you regardless so just accept that. In my opinion, a huge fox collar on a parka is more attention grabbing than a subtle mink stroller. Dark brown or black mink would be a great place to start if you’re truly not wanting a ton of attention.

Thanks for the advice. I’ll look into a mink stroller. I’ve heard people say mink is the one of the softest types of fur. However, I’m pretty sure I have felt mink, there was an old mink coat at an antiques shop and it doesn’t feel as soft as people say it does. I’ve heard people say it’s softer than rabbit fur but, if that was mink fur on that old coat, then I disagree. 

Do you guys have any recommendations on where to purchase fur from? I’ve looked on Etsy; More specifically Fenzofurs, and have been looking around at eBay. However, I’m pretty hesitant about buying on EBay without seeing the coat first. I also was looking into Marc Khaufman. Thoughts and recommendations? What was your guys first coats? 

Greek furriers are great and reasonably priced. I’ve used Fenzo and DMB for multiple purchases. Older mink coats are much more coarse but new mink is extremely soft and durable. Here is an idea of what I mean by subtle.

IMG_2344.jpeg

Really interesting discussion!

I think "HYPER-FOCUS" might be at play too...

For example, growing up with a fur fetish made me immediately react when anyone said "fur" or I saw a coat in public or in a magazine... It was a singular focus!

But it was also a secret that I would've died to protect... After years of collecting and enjoying women's coats, I've recently moved to buying and wearing men's coats and faced this same dilemma.

You might be like me in the sense that you're acutely aware of public opinion, as it was this same public opinion that you wanted to avoid in the past... Forget people finding out about my sexual attraction to fur, I was projecting a lot of judgement and assuming what people were/would think: Would I look gay/trans wearing fur? Would I offend and face activist backlash from "them"? Will my friends and family see me differently?

Your experience will be shaped by what you think and how you frame this... If you continue to believe that IT IS OUT-OF-CHARACTER FOR YOU TO WEAR FUR IN PUBLIC, you will always be at odds with yourself and your desire to wear fur.

Ask yourself: If you wear fur moving forward, what would a perfect outcome look like? What would people say to me, and how will I react to comments/compliments/confusion in a positive way?

BOTTOM LINE: You're hyper-focused on potential judgement as you're equating this positive or negative feedback as the world judging you for your relationship/fetish with fur!

They just see an inanimate fur coat, and we see a life force... They don't see what we see!

YOUR FEAR OF THE UNKNOWN IS STOPPING YOU FROM DOING SOMETHING THAT WILL GIVE YOU SELF-WORTH AND FULFILL SOME MEANING... THAT IS A RISK THAT YOU'LL HAVE TO MAKE, AND THE PAYOFF WILL SET YOU FREE!!! So many here will attest to that...

Daydream about wearing a big fur coat and walking around busy Holiday shoppers... What would happen if you also had a hat on that said "FREE HUGS"? 🤗

NOW MAKE THAT HAPPEN!!!

• Like 3

In all honesty, I don't think anyone cares anymore in general.. you're always gonna get the one...

For example yesterday was -16 out, I stopped at my local park to go for a quick walk around the skating pond path..

I was wearing a full length raccoon coat and raccoon hat.. to my surprise were 2 older European ladies also walking around the pond in the opposite direction... one was wearing a 3/4 length curly lamb coat, and the other a waist length mink coat with the collar up... we passed each other several times... I wanted to tell the woman in the mink I liked her coat, but the 2 seemed to be on their mission and talking in their own language... I also ended up walking past several other people around the pond, a few older men (none of which said a thing, or even looked, a few women walking their dogs, one who gave a polite hello)

It all depends on where you are... obviously a busy shopping mall will draw more attention than a stroll in the park... but it helps when its -20 out and fur is almost a necessity! Unforunately, temp goes back to 0 again here for the next several days... its cold out this morning, so maybe my last morning wrapped in raccoon for a while... I just find close to zero its too warm for me to wear fur... 

Hey A_Man_of_many_foxes

Where did you get that stroller from? (One in the photo) I’ve searched online and haven’t found much. At least that I find appealing. 

CoyoteFox, 

Now that you say it like that I totally see where the nervousness is coming from. You know what Deal I’ll make that happen, I’ll post a pic, of me in the mall with a fur coat on with a hat that says ‘free hugs’. 

Also is anyone on here from the Idaho, Utah area? Any good recommendations on places to visit to get coats? 

• Like 1

I’ve adored furs since I was little. But I grew up in a generation that’s old enough to remember a time when furs were even a lot more ubiquitous as they are perceived to be today. To the point where you would have to cast your mind back to the 1980’s and there were furriers on nearly every Main Street back then. Even in small rural towns. The industry itself along with the infrastructure supporting it was larger than what Starbucks is today. Nearly everyone owned a fur at one point or another, and to those who didn’t, they either had a fear of missing out, or in some cases they were ostracized and treated like those who grew up in the 60’s but didn’t see what the big deal was about The Beatles invasion. And the trade just kept expanding! Furs that cost tens of thousands at retail were given away by the hundreds on game shows every year. Credit card companies used to offer them as gifts when you turned in points. Teachers wore their fur coats and jackets to school and parents wore them to their jobs, on vacations and during leisure activities.

I’ve spent half my adult life trying to recapture some of that magic in what it was like to own and wear furs in the same ways I saw my parents and instructors do, and I refuse to let this hobby go. Even when my family tells me that it’s inappropriate or my friends don’t necessarily understand it, there is nothing I want more than for us to return to the good old days of wearing, buying and accepting furs as part of our cultural identity and heritage. And we certainly won’t ever get there if we keep treating furs as if they’re taboo. We know better. 

Edited by Panther10
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,

I understand men or women who are afraid by what other thinking and judgement but never we make choices for others peoples, we make choices, we make different decisions only for our life...

We love fur and we love wear fur during cold periods, others peoples don't like this and this is not a problem if you are happy of wear your fur...

Personally I wear my mink and yes I have bad comments but I don't show interest for this peoples who don't are tolerant for understand my feelings with fur... I'm proud of wear fur and proud of wear animals and I don't want stop my love for fur just for the pleasure of stupid people with little education...