Hollywood Christmas Parade (1985)

pnwhist

Oh the Good ol’ Days.

Sheesh, was the mid-80s the height of the furs or what 4 minutes, 3 celebrities showing off their style in their furs and I’m sure was not less than mid-60s there in Hollywood.

24:50 Kim Fields (Facts of Life / Blue Fox)

25:38 Tova Borgnine (Ernest Borgnine’s Wife / Lynx)

28:55 Juice Newton (Singer / Crystal Fox)

33:00 Debbie Allen (Actress / Full Length White Fox)

1:37:43 Beverly Garland (Actress/ Full Length Crystal Fox)

https://youtu.be/Q6WhBSBPPDo?si=Rf6xLZYJJUmbfmAQ

Edited by pnwhist
  • Like 3

Messed up on that last one. 1h37m43s is the length of the entire video - that should be 43:20.

7:11 Joan Crosby (?Raccoon /? Beaver)

19:48 Evy Norlund (Lynx)

54:50 ? (actress / faux?)

56:10 Constance Towers (actress / cross fox?)

57:25 Marcia Cannel wife of Steven J Cannel float (Lynx)

58:00 Actresses from the show Capital ?

58:52 Rip Taylor ( Actor / Coyote)

1:05:50 Ricky Schroder’s company

1:12:30 Talia? (?rabbit / ?faux)

1:15:50 Gold sisters (?faux)

I know I missed a couple including the 3 pageant ladies wearing white stoles but I caught the vast majority. If someone told me you’d be seeing a beautiful in a fur every 5 minutes for an hour 15 minutes, I’d be spot on there.

Edited by pnwhist
  • Like 1

Plus that's not every fur on the video.

Makes me wish we could get a copy of the master tapes of the parade and have someone upload the best res version of it.

1 hour ago, FurSwede said:

Thanks for sharing! Reminds me of the Minnesota Twins World Series Parade from 1987

https://youtu.be/RMAJCSDcrjI?si=Bt4SVBmvruLxWueb

NOPE! I beg to differ but yours is crazy better! ALL except for a couple of Twins’ wives/girlfriends were showcasing their FULL-LENGTH furs (as well as many of the players) Your capture of the Golden Age is AMAZING not to also mention how much better the video quality is.

Upper Midwest back in the day is legit…if it’s cold - don’t give a rip if it’s for man or woman, give me that fur!

Oh have times changed 😞

I've been trying to track down more and more of the fur commercials on Youtube that I saw after Christmas each year as a kid...

Both of these videos hit me right where it counts... Many thanks!

What an amazing time when every women around seemed to be happy, drunk, glammed-up in pageant makeup, and living the good life in furs!

This is what I think about when someone says "go to your happy place"... 🚀

• Like 2

Back in the day, women would wear their fur coats or stole to go out.  Yes, i do remember traveling in the winter and seeing ladies wearing their fur coat.  You would also see their on the TV news at the airports. 

• Like 1

On 11/27/2023 at 3:14 AM, furs limited said:

Sighting furs in the airports used to be one of the added pleasures of travel.

Sad that so few "dress up" to fly anymore.

Recently airlines have given them little reason to, even first class. For one thing, the TSA is notorious for its agents wrecking passenger stuff without repercussions.

31 minutes ago, LordTheNightKnight said:

Recently airlines have given them little reason to, even first class. For one thing, the TSA is notorious for its agents wrecking passenger stuff without repercussions.

That might contribute but IMHO it has more to do with people not dressing up at all. Comfy clothes are very popular. But I do suspect it also correlates where you are traveling to and from. And besides, the TSA is only the US. I have never had issues with security and my furs.

The TSA is just one thing. So many other things make flying often feel less formal for people.

Plus while a lot of this is limited to the US, our pop culture has spread this attitude elsewhere.

On 11/27/2023 at 6:14 AM, furs limited said:

Sighting furs in the airports used to be one of the added pleasures of travel.

Sad that so few "dress up" to fly anymore.

While you still see plenty of parkas with very nice fur ruffs, true fur coats are very rare. Last one I saw was a year ago in Billings Montana, a guy wearing a killer lynx jacket. And just as happens when I see a woman in fur, instant erection. And I’m not even gay! 🤣

Circling back to the topic of parades, here’s the 1982 Chicago Christmas Parade WITH Mary Ann Childers as host wearing an absolutely gorgeous Blush Fox coat (wow).

32-ish minutes in, the parade route reporter interviews a beatifyl lady wearing a Lynx coat.

The broadcast was also partly SPONSORED by Evans Furs so this just asserts just how ubiquitous the Fur industry was part of the Regional consciousness. The clip leaves the commercials in as a Classic Evans fur commercial gets inserted not just once but twice. 🙂

However, with as cold that is should be in Chicago compared to Hollywood this time of year, not as many sightings as my original post…perhaps not as many celebrities?

Edited by pnwhist
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, minkme said:

That TV station must pay their employees well since they wear fur coats

How so? These videos are from the 80s and 90s. 

2 hours ago, FurSwede said:

How so? These videos are from the 80s and 90s. 

I think they were likely on loan from Evans as a bit of a product placement incentive. I could be wrong. And I I’m HOPING that’s Mary Ann Childers personal coat! 🙂

• Like 1

Ohhhhhhhkayyy Got another one for you!

Correct me if I’m wrong BUT the hostess is wearing a full-length blush Fox coat. What is it about that type of fox that makes one’s knees buckle when seeing it on a beautiful lady? Is it because it’s not as common as Silver, Red, or Blue and that it seems and deems so appropriate for festivities such as this?

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/7/2023 at 9:18 PM, minkme said:

Is the guy wearing a real fur too?

Sure looks likes it! Hey if it’s that cold and someone offers it to you…I sure would say No! 🙂