Saddam sentenced to hang

Earendil

WEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeelllllllllllllllll... there are a couple of things I could say..... and shall keep it to just one.

Life imprisonment would have been a far more satisfying punishment, for now another martyr has been created. Just when will folks learn that the easiest thing to do with someone is to sometimes lock them away and furget where the key was lost.

I agree with you from one perspective, Piotr. Prison for life would be a good punishment, however I doubt you will get the agreement of the victims families and friends to be satisfied with such a sentence. He would stay alive, eat every day, exercise, read books and still be able to reach certain extents of communication from his cell. In short, live the rest of his life in a controlled enviroment, while a large group of people disagreeing with this would create protests and actions in disagreement with such a sentence. If 1 single person were to be even injured in such a protest, his prison-sentence would really be rendered void, wouldn't it?

A death-sentence for such a mans horrible actions will perhaps make a martyr of him - but not in public eyes. Only in the extremist eyes, and they are already fucked up in their thinking and motivation, so whats the big difference, really..

I think the death-sentence is a just judgement in this scenario. The victims family and friends get their "revenge" and closure, the media gets enough juice for it to blow over in a week or so, and he will be forgotten as a tyrann who got caught and punished for his cruelty.

Any person responsible for such acts of horror against innocent humanbeings should be swiftly hammered down in my opinion.

I will try very hard to not cross a very delicate line that this thread could cross. I hope this thread does not bite us.

First, I do not in any way defend Saddam in this post.

I have lived in that area. I can assure you that the only way to control a culture that has this instinctual need to fight is through absolute power. That is how he kept all these War Lords at bay. They tried to kill him! He responded in the only way they would understand. That is the nature of a culture that is run by warlords. Just like our mafia. There are rules and there are consequences.

How many innocent lives have been lost due to the removal of this warlord? .. or, sadly have yet to be lost.

Is there any major political head that is not guilty of "crimes against humanity?" Seems to be part of the job description.

With that I will shut up.

Linda

You've got to remember that, in Mid-East cultures, death is believed to be the only "correct" punishment.

Sure, logic tells us that it's better to give him L.W.O.P. (Life Without Parole.) But, in a culture that has been trained to think about these kinds of things in black and white terms, there is no other alternative.

Further, there is the concept of retribution. In the West, we think that way, too. But in the Mid-East, it might be the only form of "payback" some peope get... Especially the poor and oppressed.

When it happens, I'm sure we'll see pictures of it all over the internet and, probably, we'll see snippets of it on TV.

I'm normally totally opposed to the death sentence under any circumstance.

War Crimes and Ethnic Cleansing Crimes of Retribution Against the People is the rare exception when the evidence is irrefutable like at the Nuremberg/Japaneses trials of WWII and what has gone on in Africa, Cambodia and the former Yugoslavia.

Beheading would be the appropriate and properly humiliating sentence.

The problem is that the day we leave there will be another guy just like him in his place. Look at the long history of Pakistan, Iran and Afganistan. It is something only they can resolve.

Today would not be too soon to get out.

A close study of Queen Victoria, Disraeli, the Dreifuss case and early oil explorations in the middle east that followed will bring you up to speed on how we all got into this quagmire in the first place.

OFF

nice topic E

Makes no real odds as the Shiites will still carry on their sectarian war with the Sunnis & then the winner will no doubt eradicate the kurds..... Trouble is Saddam was Sunni who were the ruling minority & now it's retribution time for the shiites....... best bet for the region IMO, eliminate Saddam, draw a line & start over with all the protaganists involved in talks & I MEAN everyone HAS to be called to task..... that includes the likes of Israel, Syria & Iran

If Northern ireland can be resolved than anything can, now would not be a good time to abandon Iraq, I mean you'd all have to give up your 4 x 4's stateside.....

Watch the film "Buried in the sand" that will open a few eyes.

Seeing Sadams ideals for fun with his sons alone will make your stomache turn.

It also justifys the extermination of the radical muslims.

I will have to agree with Eric on this one. What Saddam did went way beyond defending himself and his country. What he did to some of these people was Murder and outright torture for the enjoyment of his sons and himself. Besides locking him up forever will have a huge price tag each year and he'll have to have all his rights ( television, communication, exercise, books, etc.). Too bad the victims that died under his regime won't have any of those...........

Kevin

It is none of our business.

If we interfere one way or the other it will come back on us.

It is the decison of the Iraq government/legal system and we should all keep out of it.

Plus I echo Linda's thoughts on the culture of the area and that is another reason we should get out of there quickly.

There will be civil war. It is inevitable.

We cannot apply our morality to other cultures.

It is none of our business.

Not picking a fight BUT originally it WAS none of our business, 2 outgoing administrations made it their business & now they need to sort it out, you cannot poke your nose in, regime change & then run away when your strategy is found a wanting, leaving more innocents to be slaughtered as the Shiites look for retribution. It is about time that ALL interests in Iraq had their heads banged together, drew a line & moved forward......

interestingly even Saddam has called on his people not to seek revenge & be part of the process in forming the new Iraq....?

I am saying it is none of our business to pass comment on Sadam .It is also realistic to say that there will be no new Iraq whatever we do. the only way for there to be peace is split.

And the reluctance for that to happen is because of US fears of a dominant Iran.