Internet Explorer 7.0

wallee

Wouldn't DREAM of using it!

I'd rather use Lynx!

You crazy Mac users. What good is it if it won't run on Winblows 3.1?

Edited by Guest

Read that page again, carefully...

Un*x, VMS, Windows 95/98/NT, DOS386+ but not 3.1, 3.11, or OS/2 EMX.

Mac OS is only listed on there as Beta. (Although, since Mac is BASED on Unix it can run on a Mac quite well if you know how.)

It's not so much that I am Pro-Mac but more like anti-Micro$haft.

With Microcrap, your computer is not your own. They try to tell you what you can and can not do. They tell you what software you should or should not use. They even tell you whether you can or can not perform certain functions on the computer that YOU BOUGHT AND PAID FOR.

And, if they ever get "Palladium" off the ground there will be encrypted chips soldered into your computer that will prevent you from even running programs unless they are approved by the powers-that-be at M$!

The user is, and should be, the final arbiter of what software runs on a computer and that software MUST obey the owners wishes, regardless of what some "higher authority" thinks you should or should not do!

I am responsible for upkeep on approximately a dozen computers where I work. Only two of them are Macs. I wouldn't even load Internet Exploder onto a PC.

Microskank ought to get out of the browser business and leave it to the Mozilla Foundation! They ougut to concentrate on doing something useful... Like solving the VIRUS PROBLEM!

Nope... haven't downloaded or updated to IE7.... at least I don't think I have *grin*.

FF2 is doing quite a nice job as has FF1.5x, 1.x, .x and netscape before that (Ah the days of Netscape Gold LOL)

Have all my little tweaks updated, and am just waiting for Pimpzilla to be updated, so I can have that "furry feel" whenever I want it in my browser.

BTW... recently installed Paint.Net.... and it isn't a bad program.... but gee I wish I could get me hands on a version of PSP again *sigh* THAT I understood.

Like you, I'm a Firefox man.

Not only is it configurable but it's cross-platform. I can install it in Windoze and Mac OS computers and, when I go from computer to computer, it will be the same no matter where I go.

Proprietary software has its place but not at the expense of open source/cross platform software.

I shall start by clarifying that I run a Windows XP PC, and use Firefox as my main browser. The main reason for this is that I just happen to prefer it. However, I'm quite baffled/intrigued by Worker's post, and was wondering if he would care to elaborate. Worker, I have seen from this and previous posts that you are anti-Microsoft, and you have probably gathered I am fairly pro-Microsoft. I don't want to turn this into a debate about which is better of Windows/Mac/Linux as I think that there are advantages and disadvantages to all. It is also by no means supposed to be an attack on you, and I hope that in no way does it read as such: I fully respect that you have an opinion on this, and I don't wish to belittle it. However, most of your posts are very well reasoned, and this one contained a fair bit of flaming without any details behind it: I was just wondering if you (or anyone else for that matter) would care to elaborate on the following (to be honest, more out of curiousity than anything else).

With Microcrap, your computer is not your own. They try to tell you what you can and can not do. They tell you what software you should or should not use. They even tell you whether you can or can not perform certain functions on the computer that YOU BOUGHT AND PAID FOR.

I just don't understand what you mean by this. I've never been restricted in any way, either with what I've bought and can run.

I am responsible for upkeep on approximately a dozen computers where I work. Only two of them are Macs. I wouldn't even load Internet Exploder onto a PC.

It's been a while since I installed Windows, but I don't remember it being optional. Just as a side note, you should always have IE on a Windows PC, even if all you use it for is Windows Update. After all, you need to keep on top of those hundreds of patches.

Microskank ought to get out of the browser business and leave it to the Mozilla Foundation! They ougut to concentrate on doing something useful... Like solving the VIRUS PROBLEM!

This just amused me slightly, due to the recent compaints from the anti-virus sector regarding Vista. I guess Microsoft just can't win.

And to get back on-topic, in response to Wallee's original question I haven't downloaded IE7 yet, but perhaps I will now if only to prove I have some conviction. I'll report back.

A close friend of mine is a top eBay seller more or less forced to use WindowZ.

He had a major virus infestation and had to have his computer and software rebuilt because of it [formerly Wondows 2000Pro].

He now has Windows XP and runs NO Windows software other than Photoshop [he's also a super photographer]. He runs Open Office, Mozilla Firefox and Mozilla thunderbird for email.

He's had no such problems like he formerly and routinely had running Windows software in Windows.

The viruses use the software to access the Windows OS.

You can run Code Weavers in Linux and run any Windows software you like without any such problems. It's a bit glitchy for heavy use but OK fior the occasional WindowZ thing. I'm doing this in my next upgrade mainly for Windows Media Player. Like to listen to Web Radio.

OFF

Oooh, shiny.

I decided to be fair that I should download both IE7 and FF2. Things didn't start well for IE:

Download

IE7 14Mb, FF2 5Mb. Not really a concern if you have broadband, both downloaded in under a minute.

Installation

IE7, erm about 15 minutes. Required reboot. FF2 about 1 minute. No reboot. No excuses for IE: good job I only need to do this once.

Look

IE7 looks more like FF than it does IE6. Tabbed browsing and integrated search engine (which you can specify like in FF and defaults to Google). It actually gives me more screen space as they've done away with the menu bar (it's not just hidden though - the important options are still available). Looks slicker actually.

Usage

Initial impressions are that they're more similar than they are different. I like the new spell check in FF2 (which just told me that spellcheck isn't a word). I can't find if there are local settings for it though - it's defaulted to American English.

Overall

It looks like they're much of a muchness. FF2 would probably edge it, but that's due to all the add-ons available rather than the out-the-box functionality. At first glance though, IE7 is certainly worth the upgrade from IE6.

Just found out that I downloaded the US version of FF

You can choose your preferred language here:

http://en-us.www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all.html

I shall be uninstalling and starting again.

Edit: despite having 'Check my spelling as I type' checked, it doesn't appear to be checking. 'Colour' and 'Color' are both deemed ok, as is 'cjbcscbseob'. Hmm....

VVWEG since most Americans can't spell (ducking for cover), I'll stick with the English(US) version..... cause we Aussies get too confuseded switching between the two.

BTW, spell check only works on the current paragraph.... (See?? Won't accept spellcheck GRRRRRRRR *grin* so I'll just add it to me dictionary)