How to save big $$$ on heating this winter...

furup

• 10 years later...

Always and forever...and the a/c in summer can be brutal as well, so summer furs not out of the question either. I have always admired your fur suits furup.

I'm pretty sure that having the heat on in your house is actually supposed to be more beneficial to the pipes in your home rather than your personal comfort. If your pipes freeze in your house they can actually rupture. This is especially dangerous with any water pipes. It happened to my neighbor across the street two years ago. He left for Florida over the winter and forgot to turn on the heat in his home before he left. He also forgot to open up his faucets to just a trickle so he could get hot water running through his water pipes. While he was away those pipes burst and water started leaking from the ceiling. The next morning about a foot and a half of ice had canvased the entire first floor of his house and there was more still in his basement. All of his furniture on the first two floors had to be thrown away and there was mold everywhere. It took work crews over 7 months to clear out all of the debris from all of the water damage.

Of course one must keep some level of heat on to prevent just such an occurrence as you describe from happening, but I know some who keep their homes much too warm to comfortably wear furs in. By keeping the temp down, one can wear furs and prevent pipes from freezing.

You can attach a heating cable on pipes to prevent them from freezing,much cheaper than heat the whole house.