3 weeks to go!!

Unclejoe420

Hey folks

Just thought I'd mention that, in 3 weeks' time, I'm off on my first ever holiday abroad. Now, I realise this may not be that important nor anything major, but I thought that I might as well post something here anyway.

I'm off to visit an e-pen friend in Mississippi for my hol, and if this goes well, then I may have to plan another trip abroad in future!! My dream holiday would be to Japan, but that'd take me smegging ages to save for it - so, any suggestions of cool places to visit that aren't gonna cost a bomb?

Thanx for listening

Unclejoe

We were discussing this in work the other day and came to the conclusion that it is not where you go but who you go with. I used to holiday with an ex-girlfriend and as she was such good company it didn't matter where we went, we always had an amazing time.

The ironic thing about it was that i enjoyed myself as much camping in rainy Cornwall as i did staying in five star hotels. (and it was a lot cheaper)

Personally i love Benidorm. I love the culture; listening to loud rock music at ten in the morning, fights in the bars, girls vomiting on the pavement - lovely.

I am not a culture vulture. My opinion of the Grand Canyon; it was too far from the nearest pub.

A bus stops and two Italian men get on. They sit down and engage in an animated conversation. The lady sitting next to them ignores them at first, but her attention is galvanized when she overhears one of them say the following:

"Emma come first.

Den I come.

Den two asses come together.

I come once-a-more.

Two asses, they come together again.

I come again and pee twice....

Then I come one lasta time."

"You foul-mouthed sex obsessed swine!!!!" retorted the lady indignantly. "In this country.......we don't speak aloud in public places about our sex lives!!!"

"Hey, coola down lady," said the man. "Who talkin' about a sex?

I'm justa tellin' my friend how to spella 'Mississippi'."

Sorry, couldn't help it. I'll get my coat and leave now.

Chubby

I'm off to visit an e-pen friend in Mississippi...

A guy from north of London taking a trip to Mississippi?!

I've got two words for you: CULTURE SHOCK!

Okay, I'm sort of kidding you, there. I'm not saying that I think you're culturally naive but I have to ask. Have you travelled at all? Mississippi is a long way from home! You're sure to be in for a lot of new experiences!

Joking aside... I think you're going to have a fun time!

Like i said earlier, I'll be staying with a friend i've been chatting to since late last year. So I have been slowly introduced to the culture of the southern US, not to mention whatever local just happens to be round at his place whenever we video-chat!! Apparently, the locals tend to really dig the english accent, so I may have to freshen up my Terry-Thomas impressions (I say!!)

Am doing a dry-run to Gatwick this weekend, so I know where everything is. In addition, I will probably print out a map of the airport in Houston where I have to get a transfer from to Jackson MS as well. I'm getting prepared for every eventuality (or should that be my imcompetence?)

I'll be sure to take plenty of pix of my trip; maybe a bit of video too!!

Apparently, the locals tend to really dig the english accent...

Let's just say that chicks dig it.

Play your cards right and you could have a lot of fun, if you know what I mean..

I'm from Pennsylvania but I lived in North Carolina for a couple years. I spent most of my time in North/South Carolina, Virginia, Tennessee and Kentucky but I also travelled through the Deep South on occasion.

Let's just say that people have a whole different way of life in those parts.

You're going to a major city. I don't think you'll have many problems. But, the farther you go out of the major population centers, the more "provincial" people become. In the city, you are near the universities and other education centers. Out in the "Boonies", you can still find people who act like the stereotypical Southern Redneck you see in movies and TV. This was probably the most surprising thing I discovered. Yes, there really are people like that and it's not just a joke.

On the flip side of that coin, you'll discover that there REALLY IS such a thing as Southern Hospitality. I'm sure that 90% of the people you meet in the South will be some of the most hospitible people you ever meet.

Far and away, the BEST thing about the South is the food!

Ask your friends to take you to a REAL Southern barbecue joint.

Southern folk take their barbecue very seriously. In certain circles, otherwise quiet and reserved people have been known to fight over whose barbecue is the best.

Another distinctly Southern dining experience is a "Meat-and-Three". It's a very informal kind of restaurant where you order from the menu written on a chalk board above the counter. Typically you get one entree and three side dishes. Entrees range from country fried steak to baked chicken, pork or fish. Side dishes are various vegetables and things. You order an entree and three side dishes... Meat and three.

(Try the fried catfish!)

You will most certainly encouter "Grits".

You can't swing a dead cat without hitting a bowl of grits in the South!

If you don't know, already, grits is very much like polenta. It's ground corn. It's boiled in water then served like oatmeal.

Most people eat grits with butter and a little salt and pepper. But you can put sugar or maple syrup on your grits if you like. Some people like them with cheese. Some people love grits. Others think the only thing grits are good for is patching potholes in the road.

Don't be afraid to ask your friends to take you out for some local specialties. Being near the Gulf Coast, I'm sure you'll find some great seafood. Since it's relatively close to Louisiana, I'm sure you'll find some good gumbo.

When you drink, it will either be water, Coca Cola or "Sweet Tea". (Pre-sweetened iced tea.) Being English, I'm sure you'll find iced tea to be quite a curiousity.

You may still find a lot of people who don't drink alcohol. The Southern Baptist "Temperance" movement is still alive and well. Most people won't sleight you for drinking a beer but be sure to guage the company you are in before ordering. One or two beers or glasses of wine with dinner won't draw attention but, unless you are with friends, keep it low-key.

You're sure to have lots of "Good Eatin'"!

I hope you have a great time on your trip!

Some of the friendliest people you will meet. Depending on where you are going small town, large town, or college town your experince will vary of course. Things in the south tend to be a little bit slower in pace people talk slower and draw out there words you may have to ask someone to repeat themselves. Southern food is great, BBQ is probably the number one thing I would tell you to try. Things in the south are just big helpings and fried. Of course Fried Chicken but also fried okra and fried squash are very good. American girls really do like the english accents doesn't matter what your talking about to them it sounds like shakespere. There are some really hot southern girls(see Jessica Simpson). If you get a chance go tailgaiting usually if your in or near a college town. You show up for a football game around 3-4 hours before kick-off and drink and eat until the game starts. There are some people in the south that will be your sterotype racist people but they are few most people are just your average hardworking Americans.

The proper term is Carolina Pulled Pork.

I was born and raised on the coast of Virginia and Englishmen were an accepted oddity.

Don't confuse polite with acceptance. Acceptance is earned over a couple of generations.

Things have changed considerably since the 60's however. I don't know how things are that far south however.

OFF

J:

1. Carolina BBQ is #1!!!! yummy!!!! (in my opinion)

2. Fried Okra is terrible! (in my opinion)

3. An English MAN'S accent is incredibly sexy! (in my opinion)

If you are in the right part of the Carolina's, Southern Hospitality can be expected. I too lived in NC for a bit, not as long as Worker (Hey Randy!), but long enough to know what he is telling you is true and correct to the best of my knowledge.

J, you're a hella sweet guy and I don't see where you will have any problems with anyone no matter where you visit.

Enjoy your vacation. Let me know how it was.

**hugs**

K

PS - When you order your drink, ask for "sweet tea". Quite different from the tea you are used to, I am sure, but I am addicted to it. There is nothing else like it!!!

Moon Pies! You gotta' eat Moon Pies!

>> What in the blue blazes is a MOON PIE? <<''

And you wash them down with RC Cola.

>> RC Cola <<

>> about.com -- Moonpie & RC <<

So, that about covers it on the main food topics. Doesn't it?

Does anybody have any ideas on something he could bring along with him that Southern folk would find interesting? (Besides his sweet ol' self, that is... )

Don't forget some cornbread and black eyed peas. MMMMM

Anyways I could go on for days about food in the south. Country fried steak, boiled peanuts sorry getting away from the subject again. If you could be Elizabeth Hurley over and just drop her off that would be great. LOL (just kidding). Perhaps bring some english treats such as english candies.

Virginia and North/South Carolina are big tobacco states. Lots of folks still smoke in the South. More people are tolerant of others smoking. (The economy of some parts is BUILT on tobacco.)

Bring a couple-few packs of smokes with you if you can. We can get Dunhill and things like that. The French brands like Gaulois can be had if you go to a specialty shop. But, some of the more obscure brands might be fun to bring along. You've got a 90% chance that somebody there would appreciate them, even if you or your friend(s) don't smoke.

Folks, just want to point out that there is a whole area in the new Library where you can mention your travel destinations. There are many cities already spelled out there, but you can add any others that you wish or just countries or whole areas, etc.

With time, that should be a great area!

W

The proper term is Carolina Pulled Pork.

Is it me, or does that sound painful? (sorry -bad joke)

Anywho, thank you all for your advice and suggestions. May have to take a few of you up on them actually -

Then again, Japan (on a rare Godzilla-fee day) is on my top 10 places to go before i croak - so is Macchu Picchu, Hong Kong, the list goes on..

Will let you all know how my trip goes - will be taking plenty of pix, and maybe the odd vid (since I'm filming it, "odd" is a cert!)

Unclejoe

Will let you all know how my trip goes - will be taking plenty of pix, and maybe the odd vid (since I'm filming it, "odd" is a cert!)

So, there's "U", "PG", "12/16", "R" and "UJ", now?

"Universal Audience", "Parental Guidance", "Limited to 12/16 years", "Restricted" and now "UNCLE JOE"??

Well, only just under a fortnight to go until the big off!!

Worker11811: think you hit the nail on the head there - my own film certification!! Nice!!

Oh! I almost forgot! Have your friends take you to WAFFLE HOUSE!

The waitress will come over to your table and take your order.

Just order:

Hash Browns -- Scattered, Smothered, Covered, Chunked, Topped, Diced and Peppered. -- A Pecan Waffle and a cup of coffee.

You COULD just say, "Hash browns -- All the Way!" but where's the fun in that?!

I think it would be a HOOT to see a guy with an English accent walk into a Waffle House and shout out, "Scattered-Smothered-Covered-Chunked-Topped-Diced-and-Peppered!"

Do it right and you just might get a round of applause!

>> www.wafflehouse.com <<

I think it would be a HOOT to see a guy with an English accent walk into a Waffle House and shout out, "Scattered-Smothered-Covered-Chunked-Topped-Diced-and-Peppered!"

Do it right and you just might get a round of applause!

Would adding the phrase "By Jove" help at all?

Got to admit Chubby, I do think i may be entering "Duelling Banjoes" country!! But I am sure everything will be ok. Knowing my luck, I won't be able to find any tacky souvenirs to bring back for my folks.. Apart from a ridiculous amount of pocket change (which usually happens to me whenever i go anywhere!!)

Little over a week to go now, and I have everything i need. Finally. I will send you all a postcard!!

Unclejoe

You won't have to look far to find a confederate flag. (You can't swing a dead... Oops! Already used that one... )

You should be able to find T-Shirts with the "Stars and Bars". Southern souveniers are plentiful.

Well, only 1 more week to go - and I can't wait. Just hope the in-flight movie is one of the following:

Airplane 1 and/or 2;

Alive;

Akira (fat chance);

Ghost in the Shell (even fatter chance);

Monty Python and the Holy Grail;

Jackass 1 and 2

Reckon they ought to show one of these!!

Well, only another 12 hours till I'm off on my travels to the US!!

Wierd thing is, one of the in-flight movies is "Poseidon" - kinda strange choice, don't you think?