RIP - Steve "The Crocodile Hunter" Irwin

FurLoverinFL

Killed by a stingray today - go figure...

FLinFL

Three attacks in Australian HISTORY, one fatal (in 1945).

This is an animal that is somewhat well known for it's patience around humans. I know people who have dived with them multiple times with no more complaint than the rays bumping into them playfully.

Moral of the Story: It's the safe bet that does you in.

Seriously though, I am really sorry to see Steve Irwin go. He might have been a bit of a goof, and continuously made me somewhat wish he was going to get bit/smacked/squirted by the animals he was messing with, I would never have wished this on him.

Kate

Actually goes to show you how RARE it is that animals harm humans.

It's mostly daongerous dogs trained by humans to attack humans that do most of the harm.

OFF

wow, go figure!

I do not even know what a stingray really is.

too bad. Think of him as a goof too, and overreacting but was good at what he did.

Well, he may have been crazy as a loon but he died doing what he loved to do!

I only wish that people can say the same thing about me when the time comes.

Well, he may have been crazy as a loon but he died doing what he loved to do!

I only wish that people can say the same thing about me when the time comes.

Yes, although when that time comes lets certainly hope it isnt a teddy bear involved accident.

Actually goes to show you how RARE it is that animals harm humans.

It's mostly daongerous dogs trained by humans to attack humans that do most of the harm.

OFF

You have a point OFF (yes dogs are trained to gurt people)....but I wish that it were true that they cause the most damage.

It is not. the biggest killer of humans in the world is mosquitoes.

Of larger animlas...it is COWS. 200 people a year in the UK killed by cows.

Closely followed by horses.

Problem is you always understimate the animals that appear harmless.

leopards kill a lot of people...but they would kill far more of us if:

1. they were not so wary of baboons( which apparently we smell like to them)

2. we were not so wary of them.

You have to give all animals...especially the more apparently harmless ones...respect.

I cannot believe the way some people just walk in a field of horses when the horses do not know them. They are biting hoof wielding killing machines...nobody trains them to do that. They will defend themselves their herd and their territory against any transgressor they do not know if you do not approach them right.

Lynx will kill humans too when they have the opportunity.

Crocodiles don't kill so many because the people who live near them know how dangerous they are.

But my point is it IS the very animals that we underestimate...as poor Mr. Irwin has found...that can be so deadly.

RIP Steve.

TOS,

You are oh so right.

I cringe when I think about the hawk situations a few days ago. That could have been disastrous.

I was very lucky. . . so was the morning dove!!!

Linda

I cannot believe the way some people just walk in a field of horses when the horses do not know them.

You're supposed to announce yourself when you walk up to the pasture gate. Just holler, "Hello!" or whistle or something. Anything. They need to know somebody is coming. They can tell by the tone of the person's voice, even if they don't recognize them, whether they are friend or foe.

An uncle of mine got kicked in the chest by his Belgians because he didn't announce himself coming into the barn. He just walked right up behind the horses and opened the stall and... WHAM!! That horse gave him both barrells!

He ended up in a body cast for several months because of that stupid mistake!

I have to agree. Some people couldn't tell one end of a horse from the other and they are walking right up behind them. They go petting the horse on the head without even letting it smell them first!

They're ASKING for it!

I'm not even that big on horses but I was taught from an early age: Always say, "Hello." Always let it smell you.

The problem with visciously trained dogs is not the number of people killed but the number of children mauled badly and disfigured.

This is actually quite common and except for human stupidity again it is completely avoidable by simply not trainng "pets" that way.

The problem is that small children especially consider all dogs as harmless pets.

It's much worse than you may think it is which is why many Municipalities are now passing viscious dog ordinances.

Just watched the news. Steve got spiked in the chest with the barb from a 7 foot Ray. the spike was about a foot long.

OFF

The majority of human fatalities in history have been caused by the mosquoto according to UNICEF a few years ago.

But yes humans kill each other a lot.

Dogs kill few people in the UK...cows really do kill most. They herd and crush.