Thinking of buying a fur?

allfurme

Great read! I've been browsing these boards for a while & decided I should register as I wanna buy my fiance a mink coat & could do with some advice.

I'd like to get her a reversible 3/4 length, and have seen one I like in a local furrier in Melbourne, its style no 022

http://www.planinsek.com.au/mink2.html

The length is 36", but the price is $10,300AUD on sale! This seems a touch expensive - nearly $8,000USD, what do you all think?

Does anyone have any suggested alternatives?

Thanks

First off, Sablecloak, I want to say welcome to the New Den. I really hope that you will love it here and make it your new home. I hope that we will hear from you often.

There are a number of people who can be of excellent help to you here. Furcoatman, Mailon, Linda, (and the guys from Tsaravich if they are around) would all be very educated help for to give you ideas. As well, there is Lynxette, Sableman, Akcoyote, Raptinfurs, and FurBabe who are all pretty educated in that area as well, some from the fur seller and furrier standpoint and some from the buyer's standpoint. All of these folks are some of our experts at that sort of thing. Hopefully some of them will see your message here. I seem to recall that just two of these folk have something like 40 year's experience in the almost every aspect of the fur business. The ony thing we can get into is money differences that can be confusing.

White Fox

Admin

Thanks for the warm welcome White Fox!

Yeah it would be great if someone with some expert knowledge could post a reply.

Hi there SableCloak.

Sorry but i've asked this question before; surely Australia is too hot for furs? (I presume you come from Australia)

Hi Allfurme,

Earendelli is quite right! It was actually only 3 degrees C here in Melbourne this morning, so easily cold enough to don a fur.

The winters are generally brief (3 mths max) and summer can be bloody hot, but there is enough demand for one main furrier in town here. Sadly a lady in a full fur coat is an all-too-rare sight though.

Sablecloak,

That is a very nice looking jacket, but I think you could get that on the East Coast of the US for less than $5,000 USD. Very high-quality female mink, too.

If you have $8,000 to spend on a fur, perhaps you could make a fur-purchasing vacation out of it? I don't know what airfare + hotel etc would cost, but maybe you could visit the web sites of several furriers in different countries, call them up, and talk about the kind of coat you want and see if they will give you a quote. If you can find a great deal, it would make a great excuse to take a trip to that country! (Think USA, Russia, Greece, etc.)

Foxfan...

5,000 US = 6600A$ approx....... to which one has to add import duty and GST.... say 6600*1.3*1.1=9450 Approx.

SUch is the joys of importing a fur into Oz, unless you gets lucky.

Oh and import duty is based on an assessed value of the good, not the actual cost therefof, plus any shipping costs.

It's good when they come as..... G***S

Hi Foxfan,

Thanks for your suggestion. She's keen on a reversible jacket (as it rains a bit in winter here, & there's the added discretion factor too). Would that add much to the price?

We might hopefully be heading to Italy this time next year so maybe will wait until we're over there...

I've looked at lined or reversible coats often for a variety of reasons and I haven't noticed it made a difference in the price.

I often see Opossum lined coats on eBay for a song and a dance. They were/are? quite common. I've seen them "live" over the yearrs as well. Those that have them seem tolove them.

I have been having fur lined [a few reversible now] jackets made and they are certainly my way to go. Super comfortable and utilitarian as well as stylish.

OFF

Mr. B: OUCH!! I forgot about duties, etc. Maybe he could get the furrier to sew a tag in that says "Made in Australia" and have her wear it on the plane!

Sablecloak: I've found some reversables to be more expensive, and I've also found them to be less expensive--depends on who is selling them, generally. Some like to market them as "two coats for the price of one" and increase the price a good 25%. Others, like a furrier I know north of Baltimore, MD, almost specialize in reversible furs, and offer them a good 25% less than his stock of same-quality normal coats!

Now, I am no expert: but here's my take: if you are going to wear a reversible, and turn the fur side in, that has to be a bit traumatic for an average coat. So, I would think that a more durable pelt would be in order (male mink rather than female mink) and would shed less, too. Therefore, you could leverage that argument to buy a cheaper coat.

Mr Barguzin,

Does that tax double whammy apply to ebay imports? Isn't there a way of sidestepping the issue by asking the seller to just put 'craft cutting coat, value $150' on the parcel?

If we were to make the purchase abroad on holiday, would customs be able to check in our luggage & then charge us the taxes? How would they be able to prove that the coat was new?

--------

OFF,

I hope that proves to be the case! Shame there seem to be very few full pelt mink reversibles on ebay or through online furriers, they mostly seem to be sheared. She wants a full pelt mink.

--------

Foxfan,

I don't suppose that furrier in Maryland has a website?

Thats interesting about the potential need for a more durable pelt on a reversible. Maybe some of the experts know more about this? I forgot to ask about the pelts as I was a little over-excited!

Hmmmmmmmmm... okay... eBay first.

I have purchased quite a few furs from US/Canada/UK..... and only had to pay duty/gst on two of them... Right Joe?? WEG

Should the vendor classify the fur as.... 'winter clothing/used clothing/used winter coat' value less than or equal to $US 1000 and a 'G**T', then it could quite easily slip through and escape any fees or charges.

Mention 'FUR' and that it is not a g**t and.... you could very well get hammered.

So, the key is NOT TO MENTION FUR. That sets off the alarm bells. Do not mention it in any way shape or form. It also helps to find out just how 'honest' the vendor is as he/she may be required to tell a white lie... or blue if it is blue fox *grin*.

As for customs checking your baggage on return, weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelllllllll, that all boils down to how nefarious you look. I went on a holiday to Norfolk Island with my parents many years ago.... and on my return was carrying on my person 800 cigarettes, was unshaven and a tad nervous cause I was hoping to crack onto a female traveller. The only thing that was cracked was my luggage as I was pulled aside and they went through my case. Parents and brother had to come back into customs hall and have THEIR luggage searched to prove that we weren't smugglers. So, I was in the poo for the rest of the weekend and was glad to front up at work monday morn *grin*... oh with a packet of the 'smuggled ciggies' *grin*

So, it all depends on how you look to the officers and how you are acting.

Foxfan,

I don't suppose that furrier in Maryland has a website?

Thats interesting about the potential need for a more durable pelt on a reversible. Maybe some of the experts know more about this? I forgot to ask about the pelts as I was a little over-excited!

You know, I didn't know he had a site, but I did a google search, and sure enough, he does! http://www.michaelmillerfurs.com/

He has a few representative pics, but nothing compared to what he stocks in the store.