Furs in Hot Weather?

minkme

It's been really hot here in the San Francisco Bay Area. Temperatures in the 100*s F for the past week. It's the same for most of the United States, weather temperatures in the 100S, are your guys and gals still wearing or using furs in this hot weather?

Don't forget! Insulation works both ways!

Ostensibly, we insulate our homes to keep out the cold in winter but everybody knows that it also helps keep the house cooler in summer. It helps us cut down on our air conditioning bill!

Since fur is insulation, why can't we use it to keep us cooler for a short time?

Yeah, if you wear fur outside too long you will swelter in the heat but, for that trip from the air conditioned house to the air conditioned car, then to the air conditioned shopping mall, why not wear fur to keep yourself cool?

Besides, you won't need to wear as much clothing underneath. Right?

I have been having great fun working with the models in furs at the fashion shows we have done.....one of them was 90 degrees but the models were surprised how cool the furs were as long as they didnt have much underneath!

Fur seat covers are actually cooler than other types.

Plastic of coursemakes you sweat instantly and so does leather. Velour is OK for awhile but eventually makes you sweat. Woven cane is the only other material that actually out performs fur/wool [sheepskin] as a seat cover. A woolrest for a matress cover also is much cooler as well as warmer in winter, Fur/wool is an advanced technology designed by the finest designer ever.

If you ventilate your attic space with an exhaust fan it will make your house considerably cooler even if it is air conditioned. In the summer your attic can get up to 140F in a heart beat. 140-70=70 degrees you have to cool vs say 90-70=20 degrees your equipment has to cool with an attic fan. The energy savings way more than offset running the fan.

OFF

That throw away remark my dear OFF , i think has actually summed up the best argument for fur I have ever heard.

"Fur/wool is an advanced technology designed by the greatest designer ever"

That is the ultimate respect paid to nature. I would guess you adapted it from the idea of using organics in architecture?

ToS;

Absolutely. The post describes conceptually my guidelines to the way I design.

It's super efficient, it's comfortable and it works as a built environment.

OFF

My Dad banged it into my head not to use too much electricity for A/C or heating... so even though I have the air on in the house, it is warmer than most people would like, around 76-79 degrees. This is because we have a patio/florida/smoking room that was an addition onto the house, there is no air conditioning/heating out there, and we spend a good deal of time there watching and feeding our squirrel friends and watching tv. If it's too cool inside, then you feel sick going between the two extremes.

Shooting with furs without additional lights, say outside during the day, isn't so bad... but put on those lights and the sweat starts to pour! So, shooting pics with them inside this time of year is quick and limited. It's no use trying to look sexy when you're sweating off your makeup and your hair is drenched.... But I do agree that the less you wear under the furs, the better!

That said, I am a fur pig and still wear my pelts in summer! They are not even going to be stored this year, so I can keep using them, although my coats and bigger items are already stored. It has been close to 100 here a lot too, but that just means furry hair accessories or purses for going out in the real world. The pelts and wraps are for sessions or intimate play with the boyfriend or just relaxing in the occassional cool evenings. I have gotten up the courage lately to wear the full pelts, particularly the light pink dyed fox, out to see my nephew's band play; I was concerned about the reaction to the "whole fox" as it were, but I only get good comments, so I'll be doing that again next Wednesday when they play out again.

I hate to go without my furry critters even if it's sweltering as Ohio does!

You have squirrels too? moi aussi. three greys; one with half a tail. It wasnt me.

We have hysterics watching them.

Good to see you wearing fur out in an alternative venue. Mi girlf does now and again and hasnt had a problem so far. One day we will get a PETA support band or something but hey thats no reason to capitulate to fascism.

Well, down here in south Florida, my better coats were taken to the furrier for cleaning and storage in April - and I thought that was too late! I've still got my mink 3/4s coat and a couple of small pieces around the house. There was no way that they were going to endure the heat and humidity this summer.

FLinFL

Squirrels are cute buggers! We have about six that come up for food each day, and a miniscule chipmunk I've named Zim (ala Invader Zim... because he's a tiny thing). Entertainment for the price of peanuts is cool with me!

RE: House cooling - In hot weather dont forget to leave the hatch to the attic open. That way you get a chimney effect. Cooler air being drawn in from the ground floor to replace hot air rising outwards through the tiles/gaps etc in the attic. - Just a thought - Off topic I know, but.........

Squirrels - set them an obstacle course to the food - they'll work out anything you throw at them. - Great to watch them

Ok! that's me for off topic on this thread - sorry

I agree totally, it has been very hot at nights but since I only use one of my minks as a cover, it is rather cool and pleasant.

When it gets really hot at night, we usually just sleep on top of the comforter.

We put the goose down blanket away and use the cotton quilt and the sheets. If it gets chilly at night, we can pull a blanket out from under the bed where we keep it for just such emergencies.

I think it would be nice to have a fur blanket and just sleep on top of that. It wouldn't be too hot and, if it got cold, it would be nice to snuggle up in.

Well, the weather forecast for tonight in the 'burgh was for scattered thunderstorms with a low of 69 degrees (F). Howsomever - Even next week when the predicted lows are for the low to mid 70's, I will still be sleeping with my foxes.

Thank God for air-conditioning . . .